Down shifting??????

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, I just picked up my new toy 04 vert with under 4k miles…I noticed when I am down shifting from 3rd to 2nd and release the clutch it kept popping out of gear? It happened 3 times on me…it came to a point where I held the shifter in second until I fully released clutch? Has this happened to you? What can be done thanks

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what kind of downshift are we talkin about here?
Accelerating or Decelerating?

At what speed/rpm are you shifting?

Do you have a stock or aftermarket shifter?

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it only happen on downshifts? That would be pretty strange. I would expect it to do it anytime it was in 2nd. Had a similar problem with a T56 in a Camaro. It kept popping out of one gear, I think 4th. Turned out to be a bent shaft in the tranny. Needed a complete rebuild, fortunately under warranty.

OP
OP
W

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what kind of downshift are we talkin about here?
Accelerating or Decelerating?

At what speed/rpm are you shifting?

Do you have a stock or aftermarket shifter?

deceleraring, going from 3rd to 2nd gear only, i dont know rpm's but not very high....car it bone stock

OP
OP
W

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it only happen on downshifts? That would be pretty strange. I would expect it to do it anytime it was in 2nd. Had a similar problem with a T56 in a Camaro. It kept popping out of one gear, I think 4th. Turned out to be a bent shaft in the tranny. Needed a complete rebuild, fortunately under warranty.

if shaft was bent wouldnt it do it on up shifts as well?

OP
OP
W

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok......help......it is starting to do it on up shifts as well as down shifts when the car is driving for about half hour(warmed up) Also seems to do it when there is no load on it? Could it be fluids?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Admittedly, I'm not sure...BUT, that wouldn't stop me from suggesting a fluid change if it's been in there a long time. Cheap test.

However, I do worry that more is going wrong.

Following the fluid theory: What is in it now? How long AND how many miles?? Stock fluid??? If not...what...noting that some popular substitutes have been found to be harmful.

Rebuilds are not the end of the world...especially if done by a place doing many T-56 and T-6060 trannys...repair as needed, beef it up, micro polish components, change 5th, 6th...both or neither...throw in quality shifter...new mounts...etc...damn it's fun spending your money!!! :)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
where are you from ?

a call into chuck tator in the AM would be a good idea. 914-763-3136

OP
OP
W

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Admittedly, I'm not sure...BUT, that wouldn't stop me from suggesting a fluid change if it's been in there a long time. Cheap test.

However, I do worry that more is going wrong.

Following the fluid theory: What is in it now? How long AND how many miles?? Stock fluid??? If not...what...noting that some popular substitutes have been found to be harmful.

Rebuilds are not the end of the world...especially if done by a place doing many T-56 and T-6060 trannys...repair as needed, beef it up, micro polish components, change 5th, 6th...both or neither...throw in quality shifter...new mounts...etc...damn it's fun spending your money!!! :)

car has 4200 miles. I believe it is stock fluid in it. I bought car with 3600 miles on it. Thought of fluid because when it gets warmed up it does it, not every time and seems like when there is no load on it it does it? When shifting hard with load it is fine?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
It would not surprise me to hear that your Viper has its original tranny factory fill which was Dexron III on 97's and 98's. Common thing to see "neglected fluids" on low mileage cars. If this is the case, a fluid change MAY be a cure!!

Call The Wizard!!!

GTS Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"It would not surprise me to hear that your Viper has its original tranny factory fill which was Dexron III on 97's and 98's."

he said it was an 04 vert with less then 4k miles

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you live nearby enough to go to Tator, than your problem should be solved by him....wish I lived some closer.

OP
OP
W

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you live nearby enough to go to Tator, than your problem should be solved by him....wish I lived some closer.

just got off the phone with him...he is very knowledgeable…thanks for all your help

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave