Brakes and rotors 2001 viper

alexander m embry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying to change brakes and rotors on 2001 viper with ABS. Cant seem to get the calipers and rotors apart on the driver rear side due to the rotors having a lip on the outer edge and not being able to spread the calipers apart. The e brake works together with the car brakes so the brake piston has to be rotated as you push it back in. Unlike the pre 2001 vipers I'm unable to take the pads out with the rotor in place there is no pin. Anybody know how?
Alex.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume that you solved this particular issue? I just saw your post on the squeaky brake thread that you had removed and reinstalled successfully but with new problems.

I suggest that you should start posting your mechanical questions in the regular gen I/II forum where you probably will get more answers. They don't sound like newbie questions to me; so, it seems appropriate for that location to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

alexander m embry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jim for the advice. Haven't had a chance to reattempt. I've been busy fixing the car door handle wiring.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are two bolts holding the caliper to the spindle.

OP
OP
A

alexander m embry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the thats what had to be done..grind down the edge; infact, I bought a metel grinding disk for my angle grinder 2 days ago..thanks for the info.

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled my rotors off my 2002 ACR last week. Even though the my rotors had a lip on them I didn't have any problem getting the calipers off. I did have to really beat the rotors with a rubber mallet to get them to brake loose. You should be able to get the calipers off without griding down the lip. Are you sure you don't have the emergency brake on?

OP
OP
A

alexander m embry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I'm sure the e-brake was off. I also got the rotor off with the mallet beatings but it seemed to abusive.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hopefully, you're changing the brake pads? Beating on the rotor or caliper could break the bonding bewteen the pad material and the steel backing plate. I'd recommend replacing them to be safe.

I didn't beat mine to get them off, but they fell apart when I did get everything apart.

Ted

OP
OP
A

alexander m embry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did have some chips on the brake pads when i use the mallet and i was planning on changing out the pads and rotors.

Thank you all for your input.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets