Another Viperless article that includes supercars

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry but MSN is now reporting the vette as "nuremburg Ring" record setter?

"10 cars to drive before you die." So the Rolls Royce, the Prosche 911, Ferrari and Corvette are worthy supercars?

Mustang convertible but not a Shelby GT500? Not a Saleen or Rousche Mustang?

Then they say BMW M3, Mazda and VW GTi???

Wow. I'd say that I have none of their picks on my Bucket list. The World's Fastest Road Car and Ring record holder makes it on my list (ACR). A modified Shelby GT500 or Super Snake (700+hp) is high on my list. If there's NO cost I'd test a ZR1/Z06 and a Enzo. A Porsche 430+hp 911 can go on my list.

All their Volkswagons are nowhere on my list and I would probably turn down any offers to drive the other cars on their list as non-interesting or about as much fun as a Sprint of a Chevette.

I rated the article as POOR.

Ted

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:rolaugh::rolaugh:

Ted...you are going to have a heart attack. Relax man...LOL

Put a link up at least...

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but MSN is now reporting the vette as "nuremburg Ring" record setter?

Umm, that's not what it says at all:
"America's other sporting icon is a purebred sports car with a pedigree that includes wins at Le Mans and lap records at the Nürburgring."

Besides, it WAS the record setter at the 'Ring. That record lasted until the ACR hit the track. So even the way you wrote it could be construed as correct.

Still, tha article is a POS. Vette ranked second behind the Mustang convertible? Whatever.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How the hell did a mustang beat a F430? :omg::rolaugh:

That GTI thing; a friend of mine had an '87 GTI set up for auto-x. It was one of the most fun cars that I have ever driven in my life. It felt like a go-kart, much more so than a Lotus Elise does. One person could easily lift the rear of the car off the ground; it could lift its own wheels off the ground whenever the driver wanted it to. Just an overall blast.
Another friend of mine has an '08 GTI (orange) and it is the best new auto-x car on the market. He has the dsg transmission and whoops on cars that should dominate the GTI. It's truly amazing for such a gumpy car.

Our cars should not be on that list. The Viper is a very fun car to drive. But you always have the little notepad in the back of your brain reminding you via outline style how many ways the car can kill you at that specific instant. It's always there. The other cars, for the most-part, are very toss-able without any 'leave in a body bag' repercussions.

The Rolls should be swapped with a Bentley. They are much more fun to drive. But if we're talking about being driven in. . .

Nick

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
White out. I'd prefer an 85 Shelby Charger (turbo'd) to any GT
I on the planet. The shelby has respect and owns the Pike's Peak record. It was the beginning of teaching the Japanese how to build more than a 40hp engine. I really don't understand why people would search out of country to find good cars. Shouldn't the good cars be made here? If they weren't then we'd make sure the good cars were built here, right?

The Datsun 510 was considered surprisingly fast for a Japanese car, until Dodge designed engines for the Japanese made "Colt" and "Arrows". The Celica was even allowed to use the 1600 and 2000cc Colt engines.

Ie; Quickest production car ever built - Hurst Hemi 'Cudas and Darts. Oh yah, and a Thunderbolt is only slightly slower.

Fastest production cars ever built were Studebaker and Hemi Charger was the first passsenger car to top 200mph. I suppose there's room for a half million dollar Chrysler owned Lamborghini Countach, then Diablo?

World's Fastest Pickup = RAM SRT10

World's Fastest Road Car = Viper ACR

I guess that means that those magazine guys don't dream that they're worthy of ever getting a ride in a "World's" top machine?

You mentioned the Lotus. Have you ever driven the Spirit R/T? 224hp 2.2L Lotus DOHC Turbo III engine? Spirit was rated as "World's Fastest 4 door sedan back in '92. Of course it was a Shelby Car.

If it was OLD stuff I had to pick for a "before I die ride in ..." I'd have a GT40 on it. For old sports/race cars I'd want a ride in a car that changed the world. I'd have a highest output passenger car engine Hemi machine on my list as well.

For newer stuff the Veyron would be on it, unless reality of borrowing one was involved.

A Mustang GT convertible? How about Jim Tait's neighbor's 70 Shelby GT350 'vert rather than an ordinary Mustang GT 'vert. That's not special in the least. 20 year old Girl in Anahim bought a white one. Friend's wife in Mission bought a grey one.

If I was gonna ride in a newer 4 ****** I'd guess a Sky - the supercharged version would be a minimium. A Mazda what? An ugly S2000 or Dodge Neon SRT4 was the fastest 4 ****** they built back then, and I have no desire to ride in one ... or any other slower Cobalts etc. Not fun.

My Viper is overpowered and I don't feel it telling me to be careful. Well, ... except that time I was going 70mph backwards down the road. But it sounded more like, "You Idiot, You Idiot, You Idiot." Course that may have been my own voice - the passenger was one of those, "hey, can we do that again?" guys.

It's interesting that it seems that many of us have totally different lists. Post some more guys, what would be on your list?

Ted

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
White out. I'd prefer an 85 Shelby Charger (turbo'd) to any GT
I on the planet. The shelby has respect and owns the Pike's Peak record. It was the beginning of teaching the Japanese how to build more than a 40hp engine. I really don't understand why people would search out of country to find good cars. Shouldn't the good cars be made here? If they weren't then we'd make sure the good cars were built here, right?

The Datsun 510 was considered surprisingly fast for a Japanese car, until Dodge designed engines for the Japanese made "Colt" and "Arrows". The Celica was even allowed to use the 1600 and 2000cc Colt engines.

Ie; Quickest production car ever built - Hurst Hemi 'Cudas and Darts. Oh yah, and a Thunderbolt is only slightly slower.

Fastest production cars ever built were Studebaker and Hemi Charger was the first passsenger car to top 200mph. I suppose there's room for a half million dollar Chrysler owned Lamborghini Countach, then Diablo?

World's Fastest Pickup = RAM SRT10

World's Fastest Road Car = Viper ACR

I guess that means that those magazine guys don't dream that they're worthy of ever getting a ride in a "World's" top machine?

You mentioned the Lotus. Have you ever driven the Spirit R/T? 224hp 2.2L Lotus DOHC Turbo III engine? Spirit was rated as "World's Fastest 4 door sedan back in '92. Of course it was a Shelby Car.

If it was OLD stuff I had to pick for a "before I die ride in ..." I'd have a GT40 on it. For old sports/race cars I'd want a ride in a car that changed the world. I'd have a highest output passenger car engine Hemi machine on my list as well.

For newer stuff the Veyron would be on it, unless reality of borrowing one was involved.

A Mustang GT convertible? How about Jim Tait's neighbor's 70 Shelby GT350 'vert rather than an ordinary Mustang GT 'vert. That's not special in the least. 20 year old Girl in Anahim bought a white one. Friend's wife in Mission bought a grey one.

If I was gonna ride in a newer 4 ****** I'd guess a Sky - the supercharged version would be a minimium. A Mazda what? An ugly S2000 or Dodge Neon SRT4 was the fastest 4 ****** they built back then, and I have no desire to ride in one ... or any other slower Cobalts etc. Not fun.

My Viper is overpowered and I don't feel it telling me to be careful. Well, ... except that time I was going 70mph backwards down the road. But it sounded more like, "You Idiot, You Idiot, You Idiot." Course that may have been my own voice - the passenger was one of those, "hey, can we do that again?" guys.

It's interesting that it seems that many of us have totally different lists. Post some more guys, what would be on your list?

Ted

All of the FWD turbo dodges (and shelby versions) sucked. Yes they were fast in a straight line for their time, yes the motors are work-horses. But the entire package blows. Buick beat them to the punch with turbo performance. The Japanese already had plenty of power hungry/performance cars by that time (Skyline GTR, Supra, 280Z, 300ZX, RX7, Legacy RS-R, SVX, WRX, Pulsar GTI-R, DSM, Celica GT4, CRX, Sentra SE-R).
I almost picked up an GLHS a few years ago in good shape for ~$1k. It was quick, but a complete pile of a car. I ended up with a Volvo 855T5 (turbo wagon).

ACR isn't the fastest road car either, there are plenty of cars faster than it. Now at particular tracks, it may hold 'track records' but not overall fastest.

The turbo Sky would be a blast to throw around a course. The new Subaru/Toyota rwd coupe should be very interesting when we get it next year.

Nick

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave