Which exhaust sounds more "Viper"...high or low pitched?

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a fairly deep sounding exhaust on my SRT, and I love the way it sounds and how it's not trying to be a V8.

With that said, I'm looking into headers for the car and the vids I've heard make the car sound higher pitched...especially the Belangers.

So which exhaust sounds more "Viper"...let's exclude performance gains for this thread.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love my B&B exhaust. A really deep rumble. It was the one recommended to me by Tator and it's great.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exhaust is sooooooooooo subjective but i'd take the gen4/belanger system all day...

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
As stated above, sound is subjective.

I think the Belanger Headers combined with the updated Corsa Track in a Gen IV is a very good sound, about as good as it gets for a side exit exhaust. Very deep and relatively quiet at idle, strong in the mid range and very aggressive at WOT while deeper than any V8.

At our track events here in So Cal, we get to hear a very wide variety of cars, from ricers, to smaller American V8's to German and Italian sounds. The Viper is much deeper and very distinctive by comparison.

I posted a short video clip of my car on the oval at Fontana. You should be able to find it by searching.

Dan

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't stand high pitched Vipers. Especially the Gen I/II cars that sound like that. It is like a pack of Honda Civics with fart cans blazing down the expressway.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Newport,

I think I had Belanger headers, high flow cats and OE 2009 mufflers and tail pipes at that event.

Dan

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love my Belanger headers and exhaust, it's loud as sin and pretty deep for a Viper. I think the only knock I have on it is from the 1200 mile drive after buying it and literally, the ringing in my ears hasn't gone away. If anyone wants to swap exhausts, let's talk :) As long as I can keep that nice deep tone with a little less Db.

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my Belanger headers and exhaust, it's loud as sin and pretty deep for a Viper. I think the only knock I have on it is from the 1200 mile drive after buying it and literally, the ringing in my ears hasn't gone away. If anyone wants to swap exhausts, let's talk :) As long as I can keep that nice deep tone with a little less Db.

I'd swap with you in a second, but mine's a custom setup so its not worth anything in trade unfortunately...it does sound awesome though:2tu:

You must be registered for see images attach

mopower

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the Mopar 3 inch catless race exhaust on my GEN III and I love the sound.Not tinny sounding at all.

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Mopar 3 inch catless race exhaust on my GEN III and I love the sound.Not tinny sounding at all.

You can still hear after driving that?:D I have had 1-RT cats with 3in Corsa 2-stock cats with 2.5in Corsa 3-RT cats with B&B crossover and now 4-stock 09.
The Corsa is very loud, the 3in at idle in the garage will make you deaf and both Corsa
exhausts had a lot of drone at cruise with a higher pitch. That said, the 2.5 Corsa
above 4k rpm was pure music, more Euro sounding.
The B&B was deeper in tone and livable in loudness but not as nice above 4k.
The stock 09 has a nice sound above 4k but pretty quite overall, the local Viper guy
at Hinckley Race shop does a custom system that I am thinking of checking out but
I am not crazy about drone at cruise.

Herc

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Metallurgy Matters. Like the sound of 60s-70s- Muscle?

NO Muscle-Car of 60s-70s had stainless steel exhausts. They all had alumanized steel.

Go to any muffler shop, ask em to pull out a length of alumanized, and the same length of stainless.

"Chicken-Claw" each tube like a bat in your (my) old baseball days. Rap it with a ball-peen or rubber mallet. The PITCH you hear is the result of the metallurgy.

The TONE you hear is the sound that gets magnified 2000-6200 times/min when combustion start hammering thru. Like what you hear? Metallurgy is ONE key element on how your exhaust system sounds. Aluminized is Low, Bell-toned. SS = Higher, chime-toned

Only Belanger offers an aluminized system. Can be combined w/ Corsa (SS) for less drone/resonance. But the DEEPEST TONE?

B E L A N G E R .. Building headers and exhausts for 50+ years...Muscle matters.

Last edited:

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Metallurgy Matters. Like the sound of 60s-70s- Muscle?

NO Muscle-Car of 60s-70s had stainless steel exhausts. They all had alumanized steel.

Go to any muffler shop, ask em to pull out a length of alumanized, and the same length of stainless.

"Chicken-Claw" each tube like a bat in your (my) old baseball days. Rap it with a ball-peen or rubber mallet. The PITCH you hear is the result of the metallurgy.

The TONE you hear is the sound that gets magnified 2000-6200 times/min when combustion start hammering thru. Like what you hear? Metallurgy is ONE key element on how your exhaust system sounds. Aluminized is Low, Bell-toned. SS = Higher, chime-toned

Only Belanger offers an aluminized system. Can be combined w/ Corsa (SS) for less drone/resonance. But the DEEPEST TONE?

B E L A N G E R .. Building headers and exhausts for 50+ years...Muscle matters.

Jon,
I like the Belanger headers and HFC system you set me up with a lot. Along with retaining the OEM mufflers, I have the aggressive sound that I've been looking for without drone whatsoever. Thanks again for such a great system.

Powerstick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watch this video production & determine what setup sounds best. Personally, I think the Belanger setup sounds second best. Tell me what you guys like best. This movie was done by one of my customers & I think he did an outstanding job!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6plghgsJcg[/media]

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I've had a few people to PM me. When I say exhaust, I mean catback. I love the headers on the dyno sheet.

mrnycguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watch this video production & determine what setup sounds best. Personally, I think the Belanger setup sounds second best. Tell me what you guys like best. This movie was done by one of my customers & I think he did an outstanding job!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6plghgsJcg[/media]

I think I like the Belanger corsa combo on the ssg vert sound pretty slick, you say you like the belanger 2nd, what’s your 1st choice (for gen3)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave