1994 Hard Top

flyinghigher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone on here put a hard top on a 94 RT/10? Can you tell me the pros and cons, approximate cost, availability and where?

I have heard from a couple of folks that it is not a good idea, but really would like to do at some point.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
PartsRack has em, double-bubble with real, locking windows windows, from about $3k

Transforms the car.....looks, sound, comfort. The only downside is you wont have $3k to spend on beer

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Mach 7 one piece hard top on my car and I love the low profile and seemless look! It looks like it came from the factory not an after thought. I will be getting the three piece version very soon so I will be able to put the top in the trunk when I want to (one piece cant do it and cant do it with autoform top).

JPL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the Northwest Engineering top & windows set up and love it, the pros; the top is carbon fiber very light, installation is any easy one man job, you do not need to remove the sportsbar pad, good headroom & the sliding windows are lockable. The cons; they don't make it anymore, either one or the other pop up on ebay once in a blue moon, but I've never seen them offered together.

You must be registered for see images

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Mach 7 one piece hard top on my car and I love the low profile and seemless look! It looks like it came from the factory not an after thought. I will be getting the three piece version very soon so I will be able to put the top in the trunk when I want to (one piece cant do it and cant do it with autoform top).

Check out this thread

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/618502-new-gen-1-top.html

I have the same...Jeff's stuff is the best...IMO.

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/618502-new-gen-1-top.html

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a good idea. I use a Mopar top and Vipermania windows on my '94 when the weather gets cold or if I'm planning on a trip long enough to expect possible rain....

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AP Engineering 3 piece top. Can't beat it, and it stores in the trunk!!

My avatar has the 3 piece top from AP. Take a look as I no longer have the car and once the SUN ever comes out again in Illinois I will be taking pics of our 2001 yellow RT/10 and update the avatar. JonB has a great price on his double bubble top especially since it includes the real windows, while you would have to buy them in addition from AP, but they do have them. I can't speak for their prices since I bought the car with the top included. I liked the trunk top, but it was kind of a pain to put on and off, and a one inch (or more) seat lowering kit is almost a must with that top unless you are very short. Lots of headroom in JonB's top. AP Engineering and JonB have both been great to work with for me, so you can't go wrong with either from that direction.

My 2001 does not have a hardtop, but the soft top fits nice and I don't think I am going to do anything different. The Gen 2 soft tops seem to be easier to put on alone and it doesn't rattle, so for now I am satisfied with it. Does anyone know??? Did they make the 2001 soft top better/different than the 94 Gen 1??? Must have--they had 7 years to improve it! :drive:

Wait, here is a website I just started (very bad) but it has many pictures of my 94 with and without the top on the car so click on the thumbnail pictures and you can get a good look. You be the judge on whether or not you like the look of the one piece (shown in a pic on a post above) or the 3 piece top that I had. I don't want to sway your opinion. You will also see a couple pics of the 2001 yellow Viper!
Our Summer Home - Photos

Last edited:

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Correction it is an AP top from Mach 7 Motorsports. Does anyone have a used 3 piece they want to sell?? :)

Crompton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

easy to install and remove alone.Lots of head room.Only problems are it does not fit perfect so it has spots that leak bad in the rain or when washing.And I know with the one I got when i want to take it off or put it back on i have to install or remove the black trim piece above the back window it can be a pain always taking that pieces with you in the trunk incase you get a chance to take the top off.

Last edited:

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JPL,

Isn't that NorthWIND engineering? I have the same windows and, I think, the same top. Mine leaks like crazy. I think I may have a prototype set of windows or something though as they have about an inch of foam insulation applied to the top of the windows so they'll fit. They still leak though. Do you have any close-up pictures of your windows? I'd be interested to see what they're SUPPOSED to look like.

JPL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
JPL,

Isn't that NorthWIND engineering? I have the same windows and, I think, the same top. Mine leaks like crazy. I think I may have a prototype set of windows or something though as they have about an inch of foam insulation applied to the top of the windows so they'll fit. They still leak though. Do you have any close-up pictures of your windows? I'd be interested to see what they're SUPPOSED to look like.

Honestly, I do not drive mine in the rain, so I don't know for a 100%, but I did put a rubber gasket strip on the top, right under the drip rail for extra protection, mainly for wind in the winter, but even with that, it still has a little gap right where the windows/top/windshield meet. Other than that spot it seems pretty tight.

JPL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here you go, pardon the dust, didn't spring clean yet.....

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score

rhansenjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After living with the canvas folding top and zipper windows that came with the car for about 6 years, We bought a Mopar top and sliding Mopar windows and had them permanently installed. The set up we have can't be easily removed. The pad above the "roll bar" had to be removed and sealer was used to make it leak less. It still leaks a little in downpours, but overall it has made the car much quieter and a much better touring car. I don't know if the top and windows are still available. Cost was about $2500 as a special deal at one of the Viper Owner Invitationals about ten years ago.

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow...thanks so much for taking those pictures JPL! Those are definitely the same windows I have but the top is very different. Mine doesn't have that lip that the weather seals fit into. I'm pretty sure mine is a very early version, maybe even a prototype.

I might just use the rails from my windows and make my own.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are the windows all gen 1s should have come with IMO. I really liked the set I had on my '95 and wish I'd kept them!!

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jdeft,

If you haven't seen the Vipermania windows, they were the best ever made, IMNSHO. Biff Brown, who lives(d) right here in the Springfield area, used to make them. He stopped for some reason and I haven't seen him around the Vipernation for a few years.

The Northwinds are nice too though but they leak a lot.

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another option is the Autoform top and windows.

Attachments

• black gen 1 autoform hardtop.jpg
    black gen 1 autoform hardtop.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 31
  • black gen 1 autoform hardtop rear.jpg
    black gen 1 autoform hardtop rear.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 35

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jdeft,

If you haven't seen the Vipermania windows, they were the best ever made, IMNSHO. Biff Brown, who lives(d) right here in the Springfield area, used to make them. He stopped for some reason and I haven't seen him around the Vipernation for a few years.

The Northwinds are nice too though but they leak a lot.

I've had experience with both types! My '94 has two sets of V-mania windows. My '95 had the sliders. IMO the sliders were better because they sealed better and opened when needed...but weigh more. I've been looking for a set of sliders for two years now if anyone has a set to sell. :dunno:

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm...maybe we could trade the sliders for a set of the v-manias? Mine are pretty scratched up though from the PO putting them in the trunk without the leather bag protecting them.