Want to tour the USA in my GTS. Suggestions?

chaparralman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have come to a point in my life that I want to do some soul searching. I'm thinking of going on an old school drive across the country with little planned and not much of a schedule in my 97 GTS.

I live in Ohio, so given the time of year I'll probably want to go south and or west. I'm not looking for tourist fun or a vacation. Just want to explore, meet people, and see the country.

Any suggestions? Thoughts? Places to go? Viper people to meet?

Thanks,

Casey

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You should mosey your monkey ass on down to Austin :D There is a big Viper community here and you can always head west to Vegas from here; nice and flat and perfect for your car! I hear the hookers are beautiful this time of year!

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Casey, This was the first thing that came to mind:

The Mother Road: Historic Route 66

This road seems to be headed the way you want go. It might be a great baseline to plan from. Good luck and take plenty of pictures.

Once you get to LA you will want to come up the coast on Highway1. You will enjoy that, no doubt!

HPmopars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure you install a K40 or some kind of a good radar/laser jammer first.:D That kind of trip you could rack up a lot of tickets.:rolaugh::lmao::drive:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've been on half-dozen Trans-Con Viper road trips.....I learned from mistakes to:

-Pack Thoughtfully.. Space is premium. Use seat back pockets, underseat, and spare-well areas.
-A car cover takes up space, but stops prying eyes on overnights
-Carry a good bottle of Octane Booster in case you get caught with no premium available.
-Prep your GTS well, esp flush and burp the coolant. Fresh Fluids is cheap insurance.
-Power Steering brackets / pulleys on 97 were / are crap. 1997 Serpentine is aged, too. Battery?
-Carry a fix-a-flat can or two, may save leak, a tire change or damaged wheel.
-Driving Gloves add a ton of comfort....after 3 days you will CRAVE them. I like golf/batters gloves!
- An updated GPS will prove to be invaluable. An out-of-date one can be scary.
-Ambassadorship: Carry hotwheels-etc for the many kids who will think you are a celebrity. FUN!!

Pay Attention To Tire Pressures EVERY DAMN DAY. Even a close look-thumb-probe can save you.

BE SAFE and HAVE FUN....and if you get near Portland lets take a HOT LAP at PIR......

Last edited:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have come to a point in my life that I want to do some soul searching. I'm thinking of going on an old school drive across the country with little planned and not much of a schedule in my 97 GTS.

I live in Ohio, so given the time of year I'll probably want to go south and or west. I'm not looking for tourist fun or a vacation. Just want to explore, meet people, and see the country.

Any suggestions? Thoughts? Places to go? Viper people to meet?

Thanks,

Casey

That's awesome. Take your computer and get a wireless card. You could start a thread about your trip. Don't forget the camera.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And don't forget to watch National Lampoon's Vacation and Cannonball Run before you go. Heck put in a DVD player and take them with you, good over the road movies. (Yea I know you're not supposed to watch TV while driving)

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Let me know when you get close to Amarillo - we'll meet at the Big Texan on Route 66/I-40.

Eat the 72 oz steak, and it's yours!!

Last edited:

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the Route 66 idea, and JonB brings up a lot of good pointers. If you decide to swing through NC, let me know :D

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great idea! I guess I had a similar reason for driving from Tampa to Norfolk this last week for a conferance vice flying/rental. Just me and the snake for 24+ cumulative driving hours. Wonderful time of year to head out on a man-trip. You will find the car pretty confortable and forgiving even without cruise control. Still a lot of bugs on the Eastern seaboard..yuk! Do the JonB prep work without a doubt.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you take a wrong turn just keep going.... Don't bother with the map. Just follow the road signs for North, South etc... Small town diners can be interesting places. Guess that's about it.

After you soul is searched enough, let us know where you ended up!

kenmo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife and I are planning a motorcycle trip up CA-1 in California. It's a winding road that follows the California coastline. I'm sure it would be awesome to take in the Viper. Lot's of cool stuff to see along the route.

06blueviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took a similar trip from Orlando to San Diego and back in February for similar reasons. 6,000 miles in less than 3 weeks.

I didn't have the guts to do it in the Viper, but it was still fun.

The southern route (with the exception of driving through West Texas where you can go 4 hrs without seeing a gas station) is a great route to take. Lots to see, a lot of landmarks and a lot of great cities along the way. New Orleans, Dallas, Albuquerque, Flagstaff, Tucson, Vegas, El Paso just to name a few...

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

v10nut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went from Texas to Ca by way of Santa Fe and then through Sedona AZ. The roads around Sedona are driving heaven. You will also go through monument valley and while in Sedona you can drive around the grand canyon but thats pretty touristy. Sedona is a MUST! not so much the town but the area surrounding. If you are trying to find your chi thats the place to do it.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And don't forget to watch National Lampoon's Vacation and Cannonball Run before you go. Heck put in a DVD player and take them with you, good over the road movies. (Yea I know you're not supposed to watch TV while driving)

Well, hell! Don't forget Smokey and the Bandit.

joedud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Port Orange, FL (just below Daytona Beach)
I'd consider a good GPS with updated North America map.

Maybe contact the regional VCA sites and coordinate catching some meetings along the way.

If you make it down to Florida, send me a PM.

DON'T watch Vanishing Point, it might give you ideas.

V

Venomiss

How about towards New Orleans or Carolinas coast down to Key West?

Have a safe trip.

Just in case you haven't seen this already:
Mission

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would join a cross-country rally. I've done the AKA Rally a few times and it's a blast.
Check out akarally.com

Nick

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've driven my Viper GTS cross-continent 3 trips. I wouldn't recommend the Pacific Northwest in a Viper during winter, but maybe there's one or two roads somewhere south that actually have mountains and curves? Straight roads may get you jail or boredom.

Come here next summer for the best driving in N. America. As Ratical said, "Take a good camera along." We like the pics.

Have a blast!
Ted

dwardle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would suggest a BlackBerry for GPS, updates on the fly and you'll never get stranded. Plus GPS units are the #1 stolen item of any vehicle...

Definitely worth changing all fluids before leaving, might even change brake fluid depending on the last time you did a flush.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I came back from the 99 VOI In vegas, I did every national park from Vegas to Atlanta. It was definitely a great road trip, The painted desert @ 120 is my kind of national park. So was meteor crater. Sedona , Grand canyon, all fab roads, Took Tail of the dragon back from Tenn to GA. It was a 9k mile trip by the time I was done. I know it sounds touristy, but its all how you make it. Most of the stuff was desolate landscapes. Very inspiring.

After being cruely sidelined by illness the last 3 years, where a trip to the store was a big deal, just thinking of a drive like that has me excited for you.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you take the Route 66 stop in and visit here in Springfield. Let me know if you do choose to and we can meet up. There is a 97 GTS (gold rims) here in springfield that would join in most likley.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First get yourself one of the old fashioned fold up maps of the USA. Spend some hours going over the large map to get a perspective of your options. Even consider the Northern route through Canada over to the Pacific Northwest. Down the West Coast along the Ocean, and back through Vegas and the National Parks.

Ditto on the GPS for the trip, but only after you have used the large map.

Keep flexible. Everytime you stop to eat, refuel, or happen upon others, be sure to ask them where they have been and what they liked the best. Local knowledge can open up lots of new surprises.

I did this years ago when I lived in Detroit. Drove a Bricklin and camped out much of the way. I ended up falling in love with San Diego, and ended up moving out here.

Carefully plan on how much stuff you need to bring, and how much money. If you want to have a fantastic time, take 1/2 as much stuff, and twice as much money : >)

It is not so much the trip as the Journey. Enjoy the ride.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spend a few weeks every year doing an "open" road trip. Best vacation possible IMO. Follow your heart and check out anything interesting to you. I take my oldest car and hope for the best. Life is an adventure so look at all options as possibilities.

Don't run out of money!

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look up 'Tail of the Dragon' in the Carolinas near Asheville. Took a Ferrari 246 on those roads many years back, another Fcar a few years later, thrill and scenery beyond reproach. These Blue Ridge Mountain roads are immaculately kept and 'sort of' parallel Interstates, so if you decide you've had enough of decreasing radius switchbacks with a cliff made in God's best flourish, you can get back on a 'straight road' pretty easily.

Likewise, as you meander south, I'll offer whatever accomodations you'd like - hotel or a lake house - in central Alabama. This is a rather large and gorgeous lake, not advertised too much. Will put you up, make you drink Bourbon, eat a steak cooked outdoors, forcing a cigar of your choice thereafter, and send you on your way at your leisure.

No matter, check the Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway and Tail of the Dragon, hopefully including it in your venture. I'm envious. Have fun.

Speedy G

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My wife and I are planning a motorcycle trip up CA-1 in California. It's a winding road that follows the California coastline. I'm sure it would be awesome to take in the Viper. Lot's of cool stuff to see along the route.

VERY FUN!!:drive:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4