I'm picking up my first Viper tomorrow.

Sccoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im going to seal the deal on a site unseen (besides pictures) Red 97 GTS. It has a blown motor. Besides the motor, what should I be looking for that may spoil the deal? The car looks good in the pics and has a clear carfax and title.

Thanks all!

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing you don't want is frame damage from a wreck, and it is well worth the money you would have to spend to have a Viper tech. make sure for you. He could also tell you if anything has been 'liberated' from the car, as well as giving you a much better determination of general condition. I hope it is everything you want it to be, but if it isn't, don't be afraid to walk away from it. There are others out there, and patience and knowledge are what is needed with a purchase like this. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

V

Venomiss

Try the search. Many threads with listings for you on what to look for.

You must be registered for see images

Recall 998: 1996-1999 [Coupe & Roadster] built through March 1, 1999 [MDH 030110]
Recall 999: 1999-2000 [Coupe & Roadster] built from March 1, 1999 through October 2, 2000 [MDH 030111 - MDH 1002XX]

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have seen some purty-pictures that were sows-ears up close..... Can anyone do a look-see for you? This site is GOOD for that....

97 GTS had 2 possibly serious frame-recall issues. Truly rare. The recall lives, and is done FREE on a car that has a clear title. If it was NOT done, there could be frame damage.

Is the motor Broken? GONE? Repairable? Toast? (ie needs short-block?)

Nice interior is usually reflective of a well-cared-for car. Good Luck........

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fellow Shopper here also looking to get my first Viper... If this is the car on Ebay that bid up to almost $17k and didn't hit the reserve then I assume you are paying more... Either way, you sound like the ideal buyer that the seller was looking for... You are buying the car sight unseen based on a nice picture and you're not sure what to look for...

I would say that any car...especially a Viper that is being sold with a blown engine is probably only a good deal for an expert that can spot the defects and do the work.

You can get a running Viper for low 20s these days... granted it won't be a nice GTS. I've heard many stories about folks that buy non-running cars only to become planters out in the yard...

You have to ask yourself why the guy wouldn't have it fixed himself if it was worthwhile... ask him too...

Im going to seal the deal on a site unseen (besides pictures) Red 97 GTS. It has a blown motor. Besides the motor, what should I be looking for that may spoil the deal? The car looks good in the pics and has a clear carfax and title.

Thanks all!

OP
OP
S

Sccoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The blown motor doesnt bother me at all. I have my own garage lift, tools and have built my own engines for years. Its the rest of the car that I need to Viper comminuty's help with. I picked up my first 6-speed Supra for $6k under book because it had a blown engine. Took it home and found it was a $5 coil pack connector, so I got lucky. His mechanic said he had a cyliner with no compression. I replaced the connector and made over 700hp with it. I doubt this one will be that easy to fix, but if the rest of the car is nice, i'm all over it. The interior looks to be a great shape per the pictures. I will go over the car before handing over a check. I have spoken to the owner for over 2 hours by phone and didnt get any bad vibes. Sometimes deals are had, sometimes people get screwed.

Wolfc2e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm no Viper Tech, but I'm just up the road from Rockville all this week for work. I also own a 97 GTS. Feel free to send me a PM if you want me to go put a pair eyes on the car.

- Wolf

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm no Viper Tech, but I'm just up the road from Rockville all this week for work. I also own a 97 GTS. Feel free to send me a PM if you want me to go put a pair eyes on the car.

Or give Dwayne Smith a call. Great Viper tech. He might be persuaded to roll over and take a look for you. Were only 20 miles away or so.

Dwaynes # is 571.435.0716

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did he say why he wasn't having it fixed ?

The blown motor doesnt bother me at all. I have my own garage lift, tools and have built my own engines for years. Its the rest of the car that I need to Viper comminuty's help with. I picked up my first 6-speed Supra for $6k under book because it had a blown engine. Took it home and found it was a $5 coil pack connector, so I got lucky. His mechanic said he had a cyliner with no compression. I replaced the connector and made over 700hp with it. I doubt this one will be that easy to fix, but if the rest of the car is nice, i'm all over it. The interior looks to be a great shape per the pictures. I will go over the car before handing over a check. I have spoken to the owner for over 2 hours by phone and didnt get any bad vibes. Sometimes deals are had, sometimes people get screwed.

OP
OP
S

Sccoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, im a proud new Viper owner. Overall the car looks good so far. I cant wait to get it on the lift to look better underneath. It'll be a month before I pull the motor to see what kind of carnage is in there. It came in at $18k so I feel as though I got a deal. Now the fun begins.

Woohoo!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, im a proud new Viper owner. Overall the car looks good so far. I cant wait to get it on the lift to look better underneath. It'll be a month before I pull the motor to see what kind of carnage is in there. It came in at $18k so I feel as though I got a deal. Now the fun begins.
Woohoo!

Congratulations!!!! Now we need pics, of course~! (that's a given~~:D)
AND remember to PM the administrators (lee00blacksilvergts, kcobean, citysnake) to UPGRADE yourself to VIPER OWNER with your VIN#. Hope all checks out with the Viper, cus I KNOW you'll enjoy driving it, no doubt...you're hit with VIPER FEVER!
Your area is GREAT for Viper Events, to join the VCA for rest of this year and next, call Viper HQ/JRT at 1-800-998-1110 weekdays. WELCOME~! :headbang:
~juli

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We Want Pics :)

Also Would love to see pics of the blown engine breakdown and rebuild :2tu:
There's plenty of help on here :)

Well done, and good luck with the new toy

Mark
:uk:

OP
OP
S

Sccoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill get pics from inside the trailer its on and post this evening. The plan is to video the entire removal and rebuild then time lapse it. I love those kind of videos.

This is a very encouraging forum. Thank you.

Jason

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill get pics from inside the trailer its on and post this evening. The plan is to video the entire removal and rebuild then time lapse it. I love those kind of videos.
This is a very encouraging forum. Thank you.
Jason

Glad you feel welcomed Jason, that's the whole idea~!! :headbang:
GOOD idea about the a video with pics and time lapsing...I also love those videos...now we anxiously await...but probably not as much as YOU! :2tu: :eater::eater:
~juli

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beautiful~!!! THAT was fast too! Did you drive it out yourself? Taken it out for lil spin yet? Careful on those cold roads. Let us know your impressions when you do get a chance to run it a bit.
~juli
THX for the PIX so fasssssst...just like the Viperrrr!!! :) Now don't forget to PM your VIN# to the admins mentioned!~! (VIPER OWNER now :))

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm no mech or tech but would be willing to look the car over for u. Let me know.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great Colour Fast Red :D Looking at that interior pic, whats going on with that Handbrake? Looks rather high? I reckon that needs adjustment ;) Looks like you also have a short throw shifter, which is good :2tu:

Really looking forward to the engine build pics, I'm not really a mechanic but I will always give something a go first ;) Also being over here in the UK there are not many places I would trust with my car so I may learn a bit more about my engine through your pics :2tu:

Good luck with the rebuild
Mark
:uk:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave