would you slime.......your tire silly

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my gen 2 has a compact spare, but i was wondering what y'all thought about this:

You must be registered for see images

they make better kits (better pump, more sealant, safety triangles, etc) but mostly interested in the pros and cons of using something like this vs. using the compact spare if ever needed - puncture, sidewall damage, but no blow out.

i know mopar makes a kit for the gen 3 &/or 4....are these types of kits just a temp fix until you can get to a tire shop or what.

slime says:

does this mean the tire is trash, or if patchable, one can "clean" the slime and patch tire and be a happy camper

any and all feedback appreciated

tia

p.s. - i ask as last week had a flat on wife's dd and also a flat compact spare

Last edited:

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A: This product is probably intended for use with run flats.

B: In the case of a minor leak, it COULD prove useful in getting your car home or to a tire shop.

C: I would be concerned with corrosion to the wheel or finish if you left it on for a period of time.

I would be interested to hear some testimony from actual uses and the tire/wheel set it's been used on.

<---------------------- Skeptical :confused:

:usa:

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone posted earlier that it will destroy the tire pressure sending units.

I forgot, does Gen 2 have that feature?

Bob

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe that the Gen3s come with a pump, fix a flat and Tire Pressure Monitor System. Gen 2s come with spare tire and jacking kit. I bought a TPMS that has a face that shows each tire's pressure and temperature. Face also allows you to choose the dsiplay color. My Hella kit - $218.

Factory pressure sensors for the wife's pickup were $190 + nuts and 12% taxes.

With 30 series tires it's usually too late to tell you have a flat - if you don't have a TPMS. I got a flat on 245 x 45 x 17s on my Stealth R/T TT. By the time I realized that I might have a flat the sidwall of the tire was full of holes. 30 series don't sway or lower one corner of the car like 78 series would do.

I recommend adding the TPMS if leaving the spare at home. Actually I recommend adding the TPMS just because it may save you a $700 tire one day ... and it's a safety feature as well.

Ted

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the GenIII's required the 'fix a flat' kit since it had runcraps on it.

The spare tire in a GenII is pretty much the only thing between you and the fuel tank, so SOME folks believe that's a good reason to keep it in there, especially if you are tracking the car. I believe it's also a measurement of weight balance and structural element with the Viper.

http://forums.viperclub.org/general-viper-discussion/630151-spare-tire-puzzler.html

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...-vs-srt-inflator-saved-32-pounds-99-99-a.html

Last edited:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. According to "The Grail Keeper" the spare tire in the GEN I/II cars is part of the rear crumple zone. It would not be wise to get rid of it. However if you are looking to buy this product to have just in case I don't see the harm. However I would try to find someone who has used one befor and see how they liked it befor buying it. :)
I believe the GenIII's required the 'fix a flat' kit since it had runcraps on it.

The spare tire in a GenII is pretty much the only thing between you and the fuel tank, so SOME folks believe that's a good reason to keep it in there, especially if you are tracking the car. I believe it's also a measurement of weight balance and structural element with the Viper.

http://forums.viperclub.org/general-viper-discussion/630151-spare-tire-puzzler.html

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...-vs-srt-inflator-saved-32-pounds-99-99-a.html

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they make better kits (better pump, more sealant, safety triangles, etc) but mostly interested in the pros and cons of using something like this vs. using the compact spare if ever needed - puncture, sidewall damage, but no blow out.

i know mopar makes a kit for the gen 3 &/or 4....are these types of kits just a temp fix until you can get to a tire shop or what.

does this mean the tire is trash, or if patchable, one can "clean" the slime and patch tire and be a happy camper

any and all feedback appreciated

tia

p.s. - i ask as last week had a flat on wife's dd and also a flat compact spare

Just say no to tire slime!!! :nono:

It works and does it's job if applied correctly (which most people don't do). If the tire had a minor puncture it will seal it but the tire will be junk by the time you get to a repair facility. The slime will eventually harden and cause a terrible imbalance in the wheel/tire combo. In my experience you can't clean it out.

Stick with the doughnut tire to get you to a repair facility and be sure to check your spare tire pressure every time you change your oil.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No better than the standard spray can of fix a flat AND completely useless if there is a sidewall *********** and not just a tread ***********.

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would think 2 cans of fix a flat would be just as good and maybe not not harm tire pressure sensors. :dunno:

OP
OP
E

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No better than the standard spray can of fix a flat AND completely useless if there is a sidewall *********** and not just a tread ***********.

I would think 2 cans of fix a flat would be just as good and maybe not not harm tire pressure sensors. :dunno:

are y'all talking about this stuff that's been around for years:

last time i used it, in the '70's, i thought it was no good, it's gotten better :dunno:

OP
OP
E

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i call it the euchi-kit: tire emergency kit for the wife's dd

it includes:

and something like this:

and remembering this:

Throughout the life of your Mercedes-Benz, a Roadside Assistance expert is just a toll-free call away. Call 1-800-FOR-MERCEDES (1-800-367-6372) for assistance any time you're on the road, day or night, if you have a problem related to your Mercedes-Benz. There are three services offered at no charge. Unlimited jump starts – Unlimited tire changes (when you have a viable spare) – Unlimited gas runs if you should run out.

but not this:

5 Gallon Tube Sealant Bucket

thanks again for the info

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I carry a plug kit and fix-a-flat... and a small pressure gage..

(Who needs tire pressure sensors???) haha

Good to go....

Wow,
You guys with your fancy cars......

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slime has worked great for me on my backhoe :) When you puncture one of those tires (which you will) you definitely don't want to have it repaired. The rear tires/wheels weigh around 600 pounds each, and it's a pain to deal with them. It's also worked great for me on my Jeep when I get a puncture in the field. From a 'does it fix a bad puncture' standpoint, Slime is the best that I've ever used. It's got little shreds of rubber in it that will get sucked into the puncture and fill it up - and then the green crap dries and it all stays in place. They say it doesn't corrode your wheels, and I tend to agree because I've had it in my Jeep tires for years and the wheels looked fine when I got a new set of tires. It will screw up your tire pressure sensors if they're mounted in the valve stem. To use the Slime, you need to pull the valve out of the valve stem anyhow, so I'd suspect it would be best to leave the pressure sensor off if possible.

In a high-speed tire, no way I'd use it for long-term use. Since a Viper tire can't technically be repaired and still keep its speed rating, the Slime stuff will work fine to get you by until you can fix the tire. One way or another, you'll need to toss the tire, so you may as well use something like Slime to keep you mobile until you have to plop down the bucks for a new tire. Sometimes a flatbed just isn't an option.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"Throw a tire away"? Then wait 3 days or so (add a few days if it's a weekend) to get a new tire (or two).

On a long trip I'd carry a spare. As I said earlier, Tire Pressure Monitor Systems can be purchased for less than $200 including tax and shipping! That means that you can buy a much better system than stock (also tells temp and shows each tires specs.) for less than just buying another set of sensors. I just bought factory sensors for the 08 Dodge.

With a 45 series tire the only way I've noticed to tell you have a flat is to go really fast and there MYA be a vibration around a corner as the sidewalls rip out of the tire. A 30 series tires probably wouldn't be able to tell it was falst until the treads started falling off the tire or the rim was gringing on the road. EXTREMELY expensive. I got a flat on my passenger rear runcrap - and it didn't get ruined. I 'sometimes' have rear passenger tire that loses air pressure so everytime I get in the car I check the tire pressure - the TPMS is going to start doing that for me next spring! If I ruined one of my billet VR1 it's irreplaceable and I'd have to buy some stock or 3 piece wheels - expensive.

Like I presume Leslie does, I take my spare and jack out of my car when I track it, but leave it in the back the rest of the time I'm driving.

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss