96 viper GTS vs. 06 GTS

mufflerguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,
I sold my 96 several years ago, & I am thinking of getting back in...
I loved my blue w/white stripes color combo , so I am leaning toward an 06 SRT-10 coupe.
My question is this:
Does the 2006 coupe ride better than a 1996 GTS?
Dont get me wrong, I loved my 96, but ride in it for a couple hours, & it gets a little uncomfortable. Hopefully they have made progress on this...
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Matt

Last edited:

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no insight on ride quality, but the GTS' stopped in 2002. 06+ are just called SRT-10 Coupes.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '09 ACR and a '97 GTS, and they have a lot of commonalities, but the '09 is much refined over the '97. Ride in the Gen III and IV cars is much improved over the Gen I and II cars. The '09 ACR is also quite a bit different than the '06 SRT10 Coupe, but all in all you won't be disappointed. I personally don't want to live with my GTS on a day-to-day basis, but I could definitely live with the ACR as a daily driver. The GTS is brutal weekend fun, and the ACR is confidence inspiring and just feels happier on the street.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure miss my 99 GTS but the newer models ride more firm or positive. The interior is much better on the new ones like my 09 but the visibility out of the GTS was much better and not so claustraphobic.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went from a 98 gts to an 08 gts...night and day in every single aspect. The Gen II's look a little better (outdated or not) though...food for thought.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mufflerguy. I think you should take BOTH for a testdrive. The newer one might surprise you, the GTS might spark an old flame...

our advice really means nothing. get out there and :drive: em.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
had a 99 rt10 and a 2003 srt10...The SRT10's defiently ride a lot better....As well the front fascia of my rt10 would scrape a lot but my srt10 never did...Also the rt10 would surge and buck a lot more than the srt10 did...

All in all much better driving experiance with the newer ones

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have matching twins, first releases, parked side-by-side.

Long Trip: GTS
Short Trip: SRTC
CarShow: GTS
AutoCross: SRTC
Track Day: Depends.....my GTS is set up perfectly for dry track, SRTC for wet.

The GTS has a rebound-adjustable suspension. Fact. 90% of owners dont know, or dont take advantage. If you want a stiffer G2 ride, it is a cheap-fix.

Call for more...... ps I might sell my 06....Another ACR coming......

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a 96 gts. Got an 03 SRT-10 Vert. One day I looked at the GTS and said, I have to take that thing for a ride...Had to get gas....it had been almost a year since I had put gas in it!!!!! That's how much better the gen 3/4 is over the 96 GTS.

PBR

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a 96 gts. Got an 03 SRT-10 Vert. One day I looked at the GTS and said, I have to take that thing for a ride...Had to get gas....it had been almost a year since I had put gas in it!!!!! That's how much better the gen 3/4 is over the 96 GTS.

PBR

And yet ironically the '96 is worth more (monetarily and unquestioned desirabilty) than any '03 SRT which can not be given away. Go figure.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't argue the desirability, but to have something like that just sitting around, not being used....well, I just could not see that. Sold the car, the color matching RAM PU and a sloan trailer as a package. Lots of goodies went with it too from Magazines to the maroni!

Best looking car I have ever owned!:headbang:

BUT the new cars....drive so much better!!!!! and TRACK so much better!!!!:drive:

PBR