GTS Value Depreciation/Appreciation?

Lanza21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, new member here. Young guy who has just breached the point where I can afford one of these beautiful machines.

I'm currently looking at buying a 97 red GTS for 40,000. Only concern is that it would be quite tightening on my budget.

So I'm trying to organize all the variables together to help me make the decision on whether to buy this car or not.

And the biggest question on my mind is whether this car would be in depreciating or appreciating with age.

To be honest, being that this will be my first car worth any real value, I don't know the value of cars of this caliber changes over time.

So two situations. I use it as a daily driver and put 10,000 miles on it per year. Or I drive it sparingly and put maybe 1/2 thousand on it. What would the expected value change be?

Thanks!

korina

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not trying to ruin your deal here but I bought a 97 GTS in red with less than 7000 miles on it for much less than that. Like any older car, the value is going to go way down before it starts coming back up. Get the car and enjoy it as a great sportcar. A Viper is not an investment vehicle. There is a reason Dodge only made so few of them. If the new ones sit on a dealers lot, what does that do the the value of an older car?

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depending on the quality of the car, $40k might be a reasonable price. Aside from what happened over the past couple of years, these cars tend to hold their value much better than most other cars out there. Personally, I'd much rather pay $40k for a car that is close to new in quality than save a few thousand buying from someone that didn't take good care of the car. If you're going to get a GTS and you have $40k to spend, you might want to try and get a B/W one. Those have a much higher chance of being marketable later on. The red ones are every bit as fast and fun to drive, but they don't evoke the same emotions in the people who followed this car from concept to introduction.

jhsiegel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vipers are awesome but they are not ever goinh to appreciate in value. Especially now that Dodge is going to stop building them after 2010. Shop around because 40 K sounds LITTLE high right now with the economy being what it is. If you buy it drive the tires off it and enjoy it! You gain nothing in preserving it for the next guy.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers are awesome but they are not ever goinh to appreciate in value.

I'm sure the guy who bought his hemi 'cuda almost 40 years ago thought the same thing. See what they're selling for at Barrett-Jackson. You just never know what's going to be popular decades from now.

In the short term I imagine they won't appreciate at all. I recommend you buy what excites you and enjoy the hell out of it.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
40K is way to much for a 97 red viper regardless of how nice it is, low 30's is accurate im sorry to say.

these cars are just about worthless anymore.

it will depreciate for a bit longer, hold there for YEARS and then who knows but more than likely depreciate again. dont buy a toy with value/depreciation in mind.

OVERBOOST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the car is stock then 40k is about 10k too much. It all depends on what you want. If it's moded with parts that you want then the price is about right for this current time. Its personal preference. Some people want a car that is unmolested. Some want one that has all the work done to it already. I say if you don’t plan on moding it later down the road then get a unmolested one.

If you do plan on moding it then you are better off getting on that is already done because they spend the money on the parts and labor and you are picking them up for a fraction of the price.

Don't buy it if you are not willing to take a hit on it if you ever decided to sale it. Look at mine, I am taking a 35K hit on the car as it sits now. Hell I would even entertain a OBO for it now. I just wish I could of picked it up for the price I am letting it go. It’s all about what you are willing to pay for what “you” want.

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock or Modded is just personal preference to the buyer.
Overall condition of the vehicle is the #1 deciding factor in determining the price. If the GTS you are looking at is in perfect condition then it is worth the 40K IMO.

Only concern is that it would be quite tightening on my budget.

How tight? What is your situation?, you say you are young, are you finished with your education? do you own a house?

And the biggest question on my mind is whether this car would be in depreciating or appreciating with age.

If this is your biggest question reguarding the viper then...:nono:

So two situations. I use it as a daily driver and put 10,000 miles on it per year. Or I drive it sparingly and put maybe 1/2 thousand on it. What would the expected value change be?

buying Any vehicle and letting it sit in your garage in hopes of it appreciating is pathetic. A vehicle of this caliber is here for you to enjoy. Its an investment in your Life.

If your buying a viper with intent to sell in a few years then what other car would you like to get? For many of us the Viper is our dream car and we purchased it to enjoy and may not ever consider selling. This is why they will appreciate because eventually enough of us that truly love the viper will get a hold of one and there will less and less on the market for posers and investers to sell back and forth.

If you do really like vipers then my advice to you is to contact your local VCA region and start attending events. Most of us are more than happy to take fans for rides. In no time your opinion of what the viper is will far surpase any $$ concerns.:2tu:

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers are awesome but they are not ever goinh to appreciate in value. Especially now that Dodge is going to stop building them after 2010.

:lmao::lmao: You have absolutly no idea if the Viper (especially the GTS) is going to go up or down in value. You also have no hard proof that the Viper is going away in 2010.

The funniest thing is you saying that the Viper not being built anymore is a reason it will not go up in value. Are you high? This would be one of the biggest reasons any car would increase in value. :lmao:

To the thread starter. I'm going to side with everyone else here. Just get the car and drive it and don't worry about the appreciation. BUT DO NOT GET IT FOR 40K. That is a rediculous price to pay for a 97 unless it has really low miles on it (I'm talking less than 4000).

If you really wanted to get a car and hold on to it for a collector piece in the future, the only way to properly do that is to get the car and lock it up for 20 years. Maybe put a couple hundred miles on it a year just to keep everything fresh.

Brake Dust

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have b/w 96 and it is NOT for sale. I have had offers over 44k cash now! Just not interested.
I wonder how many of you have had people offer to buy your viper? :dunno:

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the "right" cars WILL at least hold, or increase in value.. By right, I mean.. under 10-15k miles, A special edition or rare color combo (i.e.. final edition,bumble bee,B&W,ACR in the right color,etc,etc). And the car must be in all original condition. Original paint(no accidents or repaints), no mods,etc,etc..

The problem is, MOST used Gen2 cars on the market, do NOT fit the above description. THOSE vehicles, WILL continue to depreciate,. Which probably represents 80% of the used Gen2 market, AT LEAST..

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know a single Viper that comes to mind in the NY VCA that is bone stock, with no mods.
Everybody does at minimum smooth tubes and filters, and they all have new exhausts.

When I bought my BW, I was going to leave it completely stock but that dreadful unacceptable exhaust note just was too much to bear and it had to go. It was embarrassing to have 450 horsepower sound like that....

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know a single Viper that comes to mind in the NY VCA that is bone stock, with no mods.
Everybody does at minimum smooth tubes and filters, and they all have new exhausts.

When I bought my BW, I was going to leave it completely stock but that dreadful unacceptable exhaust note just was too much to bear and it had to go.

yeah, agreed. I was thinking more along the lines of serious and/or internal mods..

Roe Blower,TT,Heads,aftermarket cams,engine builds,etc,etc. And/or other visible mods, that would be difficult to reverse.

Brake Dust

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One big ? is who did the frame recalls and when on the gen 2 that you are buying or selling.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Personally I think most gen 2 vipers will in time see appreciation but that will be beyond what the OP is wanting to hear. Most cars from the 60s and 70s that are worth 4 to 5 times their worth are repaints, serious mods, etc but original BODY. A lot of the original unmodded versions of said vehicles go for many many times the original price. So a viper GTS no matter color or mods that is original in 20 more years WILL be worth a decent sum to the right buyer; but what is the point in that investment? That is a lot of insurance, maintenance etc. So buy the car if you can to enjoy.

My wife and I are educated, intelligent AND...middle/upper middle class. The viper is paid for in cash to enjoy. It brings a smile to my face each day that I can drive it. I hope to keep in for a long time. If I can sell it in 20 years to pay for my kids education when I have kids...so be it. If I sell it for much less (hard to imagine selling for much less than 37k for a 2000 ACR)...well it was "invested well"...in my personal smiles. To each their own. I would not be happy with a 5k mile car in the "right color" just to have sit and collect insurance and dust....in order to "hopefully" make money. Just invest in a solid CD or something that guarantees a return i guess...or buy some art from dead people. Which is why IF the viper is not reproduced..it probably will appreciate because it's dead. IMO...it was dead after the gen 2 ended anyways...

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact that you can NOW afford one should tell you something, they have been dropping in value. When and if they go up, no one knows. One thing is for certain, and I can guarantee this.............I don't care what twin turbo kit or whatever someone has on their car. As far as future values go, a modded car will ALWAYS be worth less than a 100% all original car, period.

It sounds to me like your trying to BS yourself into thinking that your actually making an investment. If you've got spare cash and a 40K hit isn't going to kill you financially, then buy one. If your maxing your lines to buy this car, well then your probably making a mistake............but as Tom Cruise said in "Risky Business".........."Sometimes you've got to say *** and make your move".

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure the guy who bought his hemi 'cuda almost 40 years ago thought the same thing. See what they're selling for at Barrett-Jackson. You just never know what's going to be popular decades from now.

The only quibble I've got with that statement is that they built Hemi 'Cudas for a total of 2 years (not counting the '68 SS) The total annual Viper production is about even with that of all the 426 Hemi cars of both Dodge and Plymouth during the glory years and there were only 6 of those.

I think it will be interesting to watch the relative value of the Gen 3 compared to the Gen 2 cars. The SRT is a better car, but time will tell which body style is more favored by collectors. It could be that none of them are worth a dime, because nobody will have the motor skills necessary to drive one without AH/TC/SAT-NAV, etc.:(

mike007

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vipers are awesome but they are not ever goinh to appreciate in value. Especially now that Dodge is going to stop building them after 2010. Shop around because 40 K sounds LITTLE high right now with the economy being what it is. If you buy it drive the tires off it and enjoy it! You gain nothing in preserving it for the next guy.
You speak out of your rear hole!:lmao:

OP
OP
L

Lanza21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoa, great site. Much more response than I was expecting. Thanks to all of ya.

I'm pretty much sold on buying one from these comments along with my research, but evidently the deal I found is pretty bad. So any tips to find one? This will be the first used car (and obviously the first rare-high-class-sports-car) I will be buying so my sources have found me very little options.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have b/w 96 and it is NOT for sale. I have had offers over 44k cash now! Just not interested.
I wonder how many of you have had people offer to buy your viper? :dunno:

I have had my 01 ACR for sale for less than 2 weeks and already turned down a valid offer in the mid 50's. Am I crazy...na.

I don't really want to sell that badly but if I get what I want(more than mid 50's) ...then it's time to sell and maybe find a newer ACR.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm pretty much sold on buying one from these comments along with my research, but evidently the deal I found is pretty bad. So any tips to find one? This will be the first used car (and obviously the first rare-high-class-sports-car) I will be buying so my sources have found me very little options.

Definitely scan the classifieds here - most of the cars are known by someone in the club and you're more likely to get a well documented and well cared for car than anywhere else.

After I got my ACR, a friend wanted to know if I'd sell my GTS to him 'in the high fourties'. No way - I'm keeping that car until they pull the plug on me.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
HEY OP,

I would strongly consider taking emotion out of buying. Decide what your priorities and wants are in the car first.

I would advise against very low mile cars due to the nature of "parts that are supposed to move that aren't...fail." (dont know why i quoted it because its a known statement). But you want a well worked and driven car.

Red is considered "least desirable" but you have to be careful. I actually bought a 2000 red ACR and there were only 35 made that year. The most common color was the steel gray. I didn't get the car based on color (or else I would have gotten the steel gray). I got the car because at the time it was priced better than most and well documented: 14k miles, stock but modified exhaust, great condition, no paintwork, no accidents and priced at 37k. I figure now that same car is worth about 34 to 39k. THe market came down a bit.

I was not in a hurry and I advise you to not be in a hurry either. B/W tend to sell higher but have more collectability. 2002 Final Editions are up there as well.

1996 to 1999 have forged internals (important if you want boost). 99-2000 have bigger wheels and some interior accent upgrades (very minor) but cast pistons. 2001 introduced ABS and carried to 2002.

ACR's typically carry a premimum but are more for racing/collectability due to being rarer. THey have a highly modifed suspension, k and n air filters and smooth tubes (for the extra 10 ponies) and some badging and racing harnesses.

1996 and 1997s I know have some frame recalls that you need to make sure have been done (maybe other years too).

Those are some tips off the top of my head.

Oh yeah, STUDY autotrader and ebay....I still see cars advertised there for the past year and many have stories that are hidden (salvage titles or severe paint jobs that are hard to notice to an untrained eye). Good hunting...its fun!

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought my BW, I was going to leave it completely stock but that dreadful unacceptable exhaust note just was too much to bear and it had to go. It was embarrassing to have 450 horsepower sound like that....

Exactly....when I bought mine in April, I had every intention to keep it 100% stock forever, but after a few months I couldn't take it anymore and ordered a Corsa and high flow cats from Jon B...I may have hurt the value a bit, but the car is so much more enjoyable to drive now, it was worth whatever the hit may be.

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Don't forget to find yourself a copy of:

Amazon.com: Viper Buyers Guide (Buyer's Guide) (9780760318355): Maurice Liang: Books

Prices are a bit high right now on Amazon, I'm sure if you look around you'll find better. Invaluable information for the first-time buyer!

Edit: Here's a link directly to the author's site - only $25 plus shipping!
Viper Buyers Guide

Wedge500

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't forget to find yourself a copy of:

Amazon.com: Viper Buyers Guide (Buyer's Guide) (9780760318355): Maurice Liang: Books

Prices are a bit high right now on Amazon, I'm sure if you look around you'll find better. Invaluable information for the first-time buyer!

Edit: Here's a link directly to the author's site - only $25 plus shipping!
Viper Buyers Guide

I highly recommend a copy of this!!!!

When I first started looking for my GTS a very Good friend bought a copy for me :D

It was and still is extremely helpful :2tu: