Auto Loans for Older Vehicles

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a company which offers auto loans for cars over 10 years old?

Most banks don't want to offer an auto loan for a car older than 7 years.

A friend of mine is looking to buy an older Viper but wants to finance it, and is having trouble finding a lender willing to finance older vehicles.

I figured if anyone would know, someone in here would.

Thanks!

AZMotorgod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You won't be disappointed. Very quick and easy to deal with. If you decide to sign up you may want to call them. I found it easier then going through the website. You do not have to be a "federal employee" either so do not be discouraged. Any problems call them or post here.

I am in now way affiliated with them but I just re-financed my GTS with them and I could not be happier. Going through them was easier than dealing with my credit union that I had been with for the past 10+ years and I went from 7.99 to 3.99 percent. Go figure. Good luck.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to talk with a manager. When I was calling around on my '99 (September '09) the first person would give me a 1 year loan, I am currently on a 5 year loan with a very nice interest rate. :D

Nick

Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem when i purchased my 2000 GTS this past March. I had all but $2,000 cash to put down on the car and the damn bank still wouldn't loan the money. That equates to a $2000 loan for a 37K car. Makes no sense to me. BTW i have excellent credit too.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As long as you have good credit, PenFed will finance it. I financed my 1998 with no problem. They'll loan you up to 80% of the NADA value of the car. I didn't have to speak to a manager at all. I applied online and I was set up very quickly.

Something to note: If you're looking at a SPECIFIC car, they'll write the draft for that particular VIN. If you're just Viper shopping and want to be ready to pull the trigger, you need a different kind of check. Be sure to specify when you call/apply.

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, good credit gets you in. I have used a credit union and this time Chase bank who is typically really strict on old vehicles. I just financed a 93 (gen1) with 0 down and decent int rate 5-6%. 735 credit, 25 years old, 3rd viper and probably 8th car/bike/boat in this last year so the banks I have used in the past will keep loaning because they know I have good credit and pay... I just go through cars fast

It can be done, just ask

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have to use the 10 year old Viper as collateral to buy a 10 year old Viper, you might want to rethink your priorities. LOL

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dunno about that. I think you'd be surprised at the number of guys on here that have financed their car, myself included. Maybe it's not the most financially sound decision, but when I did it I said "I can afford to do this right now; in a year maybe I can't. Enjoy it while I can." I haven't looked back since.

I DO put enough money down so that if I need to get out of it in a hurry (in the case of a job loss or personal financial crisis) that I can. Otherwise, let the good times roll.

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why outlay all the upfront capital for something Im only going to keep a few months, a year at MOST? I consult medium/large size companies with lease vs finance vs pay cash decisions for a living so I don't think I have to "rethink" anything. I like the concept of using other peoples money for depreciating assets and using mine to generate revenue elsewhere... to each their own though...