200mph viper?

jim 632

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi I was was watching super cars exposed last night and they had a various cars that could run 200 mph in a mile. There were some vipers but they did not show them. I was wondering if any members cars have done this and what upgrades/horsepower in needed. my car is a 96 gts with roe/10lb/ headers/borla exhaust/****/355 gears. I'm wonder if mine would or at least exceed 200mph. Thanks Jim

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a friend that ran 213mph in the mile in Texas somewhere. Of course that car is modded all to heck. Viper chasis, custom Viper Gen 2 looking body, V8 with twin turbos, sequential gear box, traction control, and way more.

Correction to post, my friend actually did 228.295 mph not 213. Second overall to a Supra.

Last edited:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi I was was watching super cars exposed last night and they had a various cars that could run 200 mph in a mile. There were some vipers but they did not show them. I was wondering if any members cars have done this and what upgrades/horsepower in needed. my car is a 96 gts with roe/10lb/ headers/borla exhaust/****/355 gears. I'm wonder if mine would or at least exceed 200mph. Thanks Jim
If it were not for your 3:55 gears you might get close. Gen 4 stock is said to reach 202 mph top end.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think Gen4 cars are suppose to be 200+ cars stock.

Maybe top end, but not the Mile. I think you have to have close to 700 to the ground and the right gears to get there in a standing mile. My car will do 200+, but getting there in 5k feet and change will be a lot harder.

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Even if your car can get there, and with different gears you could either do it or get pretty darn close, I heard a Viper with no spoilers/ground effects at 200 MPH is mildly terrifying to be in. I've had mine a bit over 150 and the steering felt uncomfortably light, but that was with the top off.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't the GTS have a top speed of 186 in stock form?
I would think a modified Viper with good tires should be able to reach 200, maybe not in a mile, but if you had a good stretch of road and some balls, you should be able to hit 200mph.

I had mine up over 150 many times, with 170 as the highest, and it feels pretty stable to me.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's no fun. It's for the record only.

Human's senses are not built for such a high speed.

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were two or three Vipers at the Texas Mile that ran in excess of 200. I think top speed for a Viper was 213 and the others were 206. You will need at LEAST 700HP at the rear wheels and proper gearing to exceed 200 in a standing mile. Top speed was a TT Supra at 237, a single Turbo Supra ran some where around 230. Getting 200 from in a mile is almost imposible from a standing start with a stock unmodded car, maybe a Veyron could do it but I doubt it.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would think a modified Viper with good tires should be able to reach 200, maybe not in a mile, but if you had a good stretch of road and some balls, you should be able to hit 200mph.

I had mine up over 150 many times, with 170 as the highest, and it feels pretty stable to me.

I think I saw a Road & Track test on YouTube where the 1997 Viper did 192 or something. I may be wrong.

I want to be in the 200mph Club, and I just want to do it once in this car. I won't be able to do it in the Mile, and I don't want to put a cage in anyway. I just need 3-4 spotters, a thorough tech inspection, a GPS and a long stretch of toll road :D

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper that did 228 had well over 900 HP. The biggest problem though was launching it. You need every ounce of traction from the standing start to hit over 200 in the mile. With 800-900+ HP launching is difficult. If you spin the tires you lose mph at the end of the mile even though the car may still be accelerating.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Running at the Silver State, Vipers are challenged to reach 200 mph. I was able to hit it with my slightly modified GTS (headers etc.) but it was on a long, slight downhill. Could not hold it there.

No problems with the handling. Felt a bit light, like air was packing up under the car on downhills. Needed more air dam.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
eeekkk. I hope he wasn't driving and filming that at the same time. And on a public street?

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen IV is supposed to do 202mph.
Now, I did the Texas Mile in my stock Gen IV and on my 4th run I broke 170mph at the 1 mile marker. I believe the claimed top speed of 202mph , but I think you'll need at least another mile, if not more, to get there. :drive:

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Agreed. I've had my stock viper to 160 plus and felt very stable. Cruised at 140 plenty of times and feels like I'm doing 60.

And with the power, aero and traction theveyrin has I'd hope it can hit 200 in a standing mile.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i allegedly take my car to mexico every time i drive it. the roads there are smooth and long but i have heard when i was there about a silver GTS that goes 160+ often and the guy says its VERY comfortable at that speed and says 189 feels the same but that speed was before a lot of mods he did in the last year or so making it very possible for him to see 200+ now.....alegedly

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here's a little story on one of our members, Joel and his GTS back in 2005 who touched 216mph in 1.5 mile standing drag race

RE: PHer hits 215mph+

A PistonHeader hit over 215mph in his heavily modified Dodge Viper at the Terminal Velocity event last weekend.

The charity track-day, consisting of quarter-mile drag racing and 1.5 mile speed runs, was held at RAF Woodbridge, Suffolk. Restricted to 75 cars, the aim was to raise money for charity.

Joel English (PHer joelism) made four runs, and hit 215.7mph on the first and last runs.

Joel takes up the story:
"The car is a 1999 Dodge Viper GTS. I've owned it for four years and started modifying shortly after I bought it from Chrysler UK. The modifications have at all stages been aimed at keeping the car as standard looking as possible, and street legal (if rather loud!).

"I suppose I have used the Ten of the Best type of event as a guideline, trying to make the car fast in the quarter mile, top speed and also handle and stop well. It would be easier to aim at one particular type of event such as the quarter mile to the detriment of handling and top speed, but that's not what this car is about.

"Modifications are extensive, but the motor is a V10 8-litre supercharged and produces strong bhp and torque figures while driving perfectly on the road. Transmission, diff and suspension are all based on the standard setup but mostly with modifications.

This is my first active season with the car in its current high-powered setup and I'm on a learning curve. Early season events were mostly too wet, the GT Battle was downright scary in the rain, but things started to come together at TOTB4 with a good result in all three disciplines and then Terminal Velocity was very satisfactory.

The top speed of 215.7 mph felt stable, but the crosswind was noticeable especially at the crest of the runway and braking for the turnoff was attention grabbing.
"The car is known as the Skunk due to its black colour with silver stripes. I hope that I can build on the experiences of the three events I competed in this year to make a few improvements both to the Skunk and to myself for next season."

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen IV is supposed to do 202mph.
Now, I did the Texas Mile in my stock Gen IV and on my 4th run I broke 170mph at the 1 mile marker. I believe the claimed top speed of 202mph , but I think you'll need at least another mile, if not more, to get there. :drive:

Um yeah, all that is of course allegedly too. :D

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
eeekkk. I hope he wasn't driving and filming that at the same time. And on a public street?

I think its safe to say that unless Matt has a tail that he uses to hold his camera, one hand was on the wheel and the other shifting. That would mean he had a camera person filming. Not to take anything away from people with tails, Id kill to have one.

That didn't look like a public street on the 200 run, Im betting it was a private track :)

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think its safe to say that unless Matt has a tail that he uses to hold his camera, one hand was on the wheel and the other shifting. That would mean he had a camera person filming. Not to take anything away from people with tails, Id kill to have one.

That didn't look like a public street on the 200 run, Im betting it was a private track :)

A private track in Mexico, nonetheless.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What gear is a stock geared car in to pass 200mph?

My passenger window popped off it's track at 180, I had no idea where the noise was coming from so I backed off; the last time I was in mexico.

Nick

Geico

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is an old thread, but I thought I would use it to get some information. How long does it take a Gen V to hit 200? I want to attempt it.

FST SNAKE

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
This is an old thread, but I thought I would use it to get some information. How long does it take a Gen V to hit 200? I want to attempt it.

It took me 2 miles in a NA stock motor Gen 4 with a few bolt ons to reach 200.472 MPH. I would guess a stock Gen 5 might need 2.125 to 2.5 to make it past 200. We are running the space shuttle runway in early Nov if you want to attempt it.

Last edited:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Professor Dell did 217 in the half-mile. I think he had a free-flowing air cleaner on it......;-)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4