New Nitto 19" Drag Radials NT05R

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luke,

Any idea when the 19s will be available? Comments on the tires?

Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

NITTO TIRE RELEASES ALL-NEW DRAG-SPECIFIC RADIAL: NT05R

Cypress, Calif., October 26, 2009 Nitto Tire announces the release of its all-new D.O.T.-compliant competition drag radial, the NT05R™. The NT05R is Nitto’s most aggressive drag radial designed for competition use. Nitto will officially debut the tire at this year’s SEMA show, held at the Las Vegas Convention Center from November 3 to 6, 2009. Visit Nitto at booth #46115 to see the tire. The NT05R will be available for purchase in the first quarter of 2010. Nitto’s top priority during the development of the tire was to maximize traction. To achieve this, Nitto engineered an all-new specialized race compound and a large contact patch. The dual-purpose sidewall construction is enhanced for traction during launch as well as straight-line stability at the top-end. This improves consistency and controllability throughout the entire pass. The NT05 will be available in popular 17- to 20-inch rim diameters designed for high-performance drag racing vehicles. Included in the size lineup is a P345/30R19, which is the world’s first 19-inch drag radial. Sizes will be released throughout 2010.

Coming Soon

LL Indicates Light Load. Technical Information subject to change without notice.

Don@TireOption

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No exact ETA yet, however once we receive these, I will definitely be making a post! :)

mousetom78

Viper Owner
Reaction score
finally more tire options for stock rims. will buy a pair as soon as they come out. Will go with nittos in front too to match sets

SRT Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are out now for $355 per tire but 24 on back order at discount tire and will take 2-3 weeks to get them.If any tire distributor here can get them quicker please send me a pm.

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are out now for $355 per tire but 24 on back order at discount tire and will take 2-3 weeks to get them.If any tire distributor here can get them quicker please send me a pm.
SRT Venom,

I just ordered a set from Discount Tire. They just arrived in their Texas warehouse today. My set is being shipped tomorrow:)

Bandit400

r25558

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any updates on availability?

Any reviews on how they hook?

I've been patiently waiting on these tires to be released....

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
345 19" sweet! I heard that they can get hard and crack in cold weather so no driving in 32 degrees or pop. :drive:
I'll get a set if Don gives a better discount than discount tire. :2tu:

SRT Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
We got our new Nitto drag radials NT05R on today and tested them out. They have absolutely great traction. The temperature was around 65 and I can only imagine how they stick above 75. We are putting down 610 rear wheel horsepower and have had problems with the PS2's in first and second. With the Nittos there was very little slippage in first and just a touch in 2nd. This is a great drag tire and occasional street tire. They really grip. Now, for the bad news, the tires have no lateral traction. They can only be driven safely in a straight line. You cannot go cruising or lane switching at any higher speed. I was quite suprised at the extreme lack of lateral stability. These tires are single purpose tires - get traction in a straight line. You would never want them to just drive around.
I had hoped they would give me more traction than they do in spirited driving. They have a very soft rubber compound. The ride is comfortable and they do not make noise. This is about the best summary I can give you guys on these.
Again, you can use them on the street as they are street legal but unless you have a reason to have them on I would use a more normal tire. Tom

r25558

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
We got our new Nitto drag radials NT05R on today and tested them out. They have absolutely great traction. The temperature was around 65 and I can only imagine how they stick above 75. We are putting down 610 rear wheel horsepower and have had problems with the PS2's in first and second. With the Nittos there was very little slippage in first and just a touch in 2nd. This is a great drag tire and occasional street tire. They really grip. Now, for the bad news, the tires have no lateral traction. They can only be driven safely in a straight line. You cannot go cruising or lane switching at any higher speed. I was quite suprised at the extreme lack of lateral stability. These tires are single purpose tires - get traction in a straight line. You would never want them to just drive around.
I had hoped they would give me more traction than they do in spirited driving. They have a very soft rubber compound. The ride is comfortable and they do not make noise. This is about the best summary I can give you guys on these.
Again, you can use them on the street as they are street legal but unless you have a reason to have them on I would use a more normal tire. Tom

Hum....well...

I have used the Mickey Thompson ET Street DR's with absolutely great results, handled like a dream on the street as long as it's 100% dry on the road.

I would never get caught dead with it in the rain, but in my last car....2900 lb Nissan making 810whp on E85...these tires would dead hook from a second gear roll, something I had not been able to find testing several different tires.

Considering they dont make a 19" option, I need to decide whether to buy the Nitto's or buy a second set of wheels in 18" and go with the MT's...

Thanks for the review, little disappointed, as I'm hunting a street application that can hook.

I have the same mod list as you, making 681whp out of my Paxton SRT-10.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
SRT Venom,

What air pressure were you running in them?

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Picked up a set of these for the rear of my Paxton car (900 + rwhp, 850 + rwtq).

Mounted them and did a limited drive last night on the street - never exceeded 85 mph.

Hate to disagree with SRT Venom above, but with 29 psi in them on a cool night, mid 50's for us in So Cal, these tires handled just fine. The ride was good too. I do have Motons and a Quaife on this car, so maybe that helped

I'll put a couple hundred miles on them this weekend and post again.

Traction was very good (no full throttle stuff yet as I want to get accustomed to them) and lateral stability was fine for street use, i.e. better than expected.

Dan

r25558

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That seems kinda high psi for a drag radial at a drag strip doesnt it?

Not necessarily.

On a drag radial, I'd start @20 PSI, and work my way up in 1 psi increments until your best 60 ft is found....typically 23-25 psi.

If this was a slick, then I'd say yes, take them to 13-15 psi and call it a day...

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been running the MT radials on 18" SSR rims. I have raced them with many psi changes. As low as 12 and as high as 28 psi. a couple of different gears 3.73 and 3.54 This is a pretty good tire for the Viper 0n 3.73 gears I ran a 1.4 60' time on 3.54 running a 1.7 60 ft. The 3.54 with the OS Giken seems to work best for the 1/4 mile run. I have yet to run my line lock setup this year dut to the weather but, planning to go again this Wed night if it's not wet out. I think I can run a highter psi if I get the tires nice and hot. which should make for a better end of track time. It's been running well out of the hole with 12 psi but, I think I am sacraficing time at the top end trying to turn these tires. With my line lock I hope to get the tires up in the low 20's and see how it hooks up hot.

SRT Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Picked up a set of these for the rear of my Paxton car (900 + rwhp, 850 + rwtq).

Mounted them and did a limited drive last night on the street - never exceeded 85 mph.

Hate to disagree with SRT Venom above, but with 29 psi in them on a cool night, mid 50's for us in So Cal, these tires handled just fine. The ride was good too. I do have Motons and a Quaife on this car, so maybe that helped

I'll put a couple hundred miles on them this weekend and post again.

Traction was very good (no full throttle stuff yet as I want to get accustomed to them) and lateral stability was fine for street use, i.e. better than expected.

Dan

After a few more runs with the tires, one in 55 degrees and one in 90 degrees it seems to me that they corner better in the cold. I took them out yesterday when it was 90 and when you cut in and out of traffic or take corners quickly they slide. When it was 90 degrees the staight line traction in first gear was awesome and second hooked perfect. See how you like them this weekend. Maybe my lack of experience with drag radials makes me more leary of them. I always enjoy Virginia country road and mountain cruises and these limit your driving.
Tom

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After a few more runs with the tires, one in 55 degrees and one in 90 degrees it seems to me that they corner better in the cold. I took them out yesterday when it was 90 and when you cut in and out of traffic or take corners quickly they slide. When it was 90 degrees the staight line traction in first gear was awesome and second hooked perfect. See how you like them this weekend. Maybe my lack of experience with drag radials makes me more leary of them. I always enjoy Virginia country road and mountain cruises and these limit your driving.
Tom

Just mounted my Nittos today. Not happy at all with the lateral stability. The straight line acceleration is awesome they friggin hook!! If anyone has ever driven a car with full blown slicks then you will know what Im saying when it feels like your in a boat when the back end wiggles around and the front end of the car darts. I have rund other brand drag radials and they have never felt like this. I will have to look and see of the BF goodrich DRs are speed rated. The nittos are not speed rated at all. I will be buying two more wheels and think I will try the hoosier A6 for the street and keep the Nittos for the drag strip.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Well, I guess opinions will vary.

I have over 400 street miles on these new Nittos now and am pretty happy with them. They aren't "corner carvers", but I have yet to "slide" them in some fairly fast corners - traction is very good in a straight line and accelerating out of a corner. You can feel the sidewalls flex at times under power or turning hard - maybe this is giving you guys the uncomfortable feeling - but this is normal for a drag radial of this type. I'm running 28 psi cold. At my power level, I can still spin these Nittos at the top of second gear if everything isn't perfect, so while they work very well, they are not perfect.

FYI, the other, older Nitto drag radials, which I just took off, work better on the street, they just don't hook quite as well in a straight line.

Also, as stated above, my car has a Quaife diff, Moton suspension and was set up by Archer Racing as a part time track car, so the alignment would be called "aggressive street". Maybe this is helping to stabilize the car's handling.

On the BFG drag radials, I have a set that I ran for a while and the Nittos handle much better on the street than the BFG's. Straight line traction seems to also favor the new Nittos.

I recently ran a set of Hoosier A6's at the drags and could not get them warm enough to hook well. They may be OK on the street in very warm, dry weather but ride quality will be harder depending on air pressure.

Dan