Broken CV Joint

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like everyone talks about halfshafts. I only made one slightly oval before I found it and replaced it.

A few months ago I had a surprise axle stub failure. By the looks of the crack, it had been there a while before letting go.

T56 transmissions aren't always durable; I've had mine open twice.

So what is the "strong" link in the drivetrain? :omg:

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I think this is just another weak link that needs to be addressed. I do remember the track being very sticky that evening. I actually had rubber stuck to my drag tires.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
04 I understand that the newer Vipers are not hollow. That's what I think they are installing.

If by chance you snapped the shaft or outer CV, and have an inner CV to spare, let me know- I can give you a few bucks for it.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
FYI for anyone else, there is a company I deal with that makes replacement shafts that drop right into the original CV joints, are solid 300M and reasonably priced- probably a good bit less than Mopar pieces.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While drag racing my gen 1, the left rear solid spindle sheared off. No slicks either. Happened just off the line which was a good thing.

OP
OP
C

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I had a good look at the damage yesterday. The axle had sheared off. It actually looked as if it was hack sawn. Right at the groove is where it broke. No doubt a weak point on the hollow shaft. I had it replaced but don't know if they used the updated model with no groove in the now solid shaft. I think I need to look to unitrax for some high performance half shafts. I guess that will just move any future problems to the clutch or tranny.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper