Help!!! need some opinions on the viper for my next car

dgold3030

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Im thinking about buying an 05-07 viper for my next car. It will be mostly a daily driver but i work less than five minutes from my house. I currently drive an 05 CLK500 but its time for a change. I have never owned a true sports car and cant drive stick that great. I can get from a-b in a manual im just not great at it yet since i have never owned a manual car. Im very young only 24 having just graduated from FSU and am currently living with my gf in a beautiful 3 story townhouse i just bought in weston Fl. I got a great job and because of this recession can now afford almost anything i want pre-owned. I have always been a car nut and dreamed of the day i could own a car such as a viper. Plus florida is such a great place for a roadster . My family says a more practical m5 or 650 conv. would be better. But i just cant get over the deal i can get on my dream car. Its cheeper with better milage than anything that compares and in my mind blows them outta the water. Its just do i go practical or get my dream and just wait a few months upgrade my girl to some sort of suv and call it a day using hers whenever i have to. Help me i am so confused! Also does the lack of traction control and exhaust heat make you not want to drive it sometimes cause it would be my daily driver????

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am as enthusiastic about Viper as anyone, and I LOVE to see people achieve their dreams.

I suggest you rent one for a weekend and then decide. 605 raw, manual, unassisted HP may not be your best - safest daily driver choice, coming from your creature-comfort driving background...... Dont buy it for highway mileage....city miles is 10-11. And there is no '07.

How about a 2001-2002 450HP Convertible for the weekend top-off drives?

Feel free to call to disuss pros-cons.......

OP
OP
D

dgold3030

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks man good idea!! Btw thanks for the heads up on the 07 thing. I have read every single thing i can find on the viper out there and already knew that just wasn't thinking when writing lol But if you anyone has anything to say as to wether or not it was the best choice they made to buy it or if they keep wishing they had gotten something else for whatever reason let me know

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5 minutes a day - no warm up for the engine.
No warm up of tires - even in FL.
Go with the beamer!

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was 26 when I bought my first and only Viper, an 08. I use mine as a daily, and find myself driving it a whole lot more, just for fun. If you can handle getting in/out of the car, and the gas mileage (low teens when putting around) you will enjoy it. I came to a crossroad where I had to decide if I should get married or buy my dream car. Went with the Viper and haven't really looked back since then. After starting a family, do you think you'd be able to get a Viper afterwards?

OP
OP
D

dgold3030

Enthusiast
Reaction score
malu59rt finally someone that understands. I hope i can keep the girl 2 lol (former orlando magic dancer super hot). Im in great shape getting in and out shouldnt be a problem. Also my company pays for my gas!!! Its really only do i want it now cause i may never be able to have it again. Plus my brother has an 08 aston martin vantage conv. he keeps telling me my cars a piece of **** so i gotta shut him up a bit. I feel the viper would make his 420hp $150,000 car cry

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have not already read it...Get "The Viper Buyers Guide." and read up on the model years. I think you can get that from Jon B. if i'm not mistaken. The GEN III & IV ('03 to '06 GEN III & '08 to present GEN IV) cars seem to lend themselves to "comfort" since you mention this will be a daily driver.
Hey guys,
Im thinking about buying an 05-07 viper for my next car. It will be mostly a daily driver but i work less than five minutes from my house. I currently drive an 05 CLK500 but its time for a change. I have never owned a true sports car and cant drive stick that great. I can get from a-b in a manual im just not great at it yet since i have never owned a manual car. Im very young only 24 having just graduated from FSU and am currently living with my gf in a beautiful 3 story townhouse i just bought in weston Fl. I got a great job and because of this recession can now afford almost anything i want pre-owned. I have always been a car nut and dreamed of the day i could own a car such as a viper. Plus florida is such a great place for a roadster . My family says a more practical m5 or 650 conv. would be better. But i just cant get over the deal i can get on my dream car. Its cheeper with better milage than anything that compares and in my mind blows them outta the water. Its just do i go practical or get my dream and just wait a few months upgrade my girl to some sort of suv and call it a day using hers whenever i have to. Help me i am so confused! Also does the lack of traction control and exhaust heat make you not want to drive it sometimes cause it would be my daily driver????

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just do it. You won't regret it. If I lived in a warmer climate I'd drive my Viper every day but MA weather kind of stinks. As it is I put a lot of miles on my Vipers compared to many. Also with a Viper you can join the VCA, a great club and one that gives you a chance to drive your car with other Viper nuts. A Gen 3/4 would be the way to go. Just remember to be careful at first until you get used to the car. I do find that driving a manual Viper is easier than most other manuals I've driven. So much torque that its hard to stall. In fact I've taught my kids to drive manuals on my Viper.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
malu59rt finally someone that understands. I hope i can keep the girl 2 lol (former orlando magic dancer super hot). Im in great shape getting in and out shouldnt be a problem. Also my company pays for my gas!!! Its really only do i want it now cause i may never be able to have it again. Plus my brother has an 08 aston martin vantage conv. he keeps telling me my cars a piece of **** so i gotta shut him up a bit. I feel the viper would make his 420hp $150,000 car cry

Well, I wasn't inferring you are fat or anything :rolaugh:. I'm only about 5'7" and the car fits like a glove for me. However, it's hard to get into when another car is parked next to me, because the door should really be opened wide to help get in and out. The sidesills are a little wide, and especially when getting out of the car, you have to use them for leverage to get yourself out. It's by no means impossible, but it's harder than say my Lexus.

I have no problem driving the Viper for 6-7hours a day when I go on cruises, haven't had any overheating issues, I'm driving it this week in Dallas, where it's been raining and temps have been in the 20's to 30's. My car really is an everyday driver, and I know that it makes people cringe to see how I treat my Viper just like any other car. The only thing I would warn agains from the older cars (pre 08) is that they can get hot in the cabin unless you do exhaust mods and the 08 hood, and they can have the tendency to buck in rush hour traffic. Other than that, I think you will love the car.

Besides, I've been afforded a lot of friendships and contacts to people I would never have the opportunity to know, without this car. Wish you the best in getting your car and enjoying it :2tu:

OP
OP
D

dgold3030

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here you go i hope they loaded im not great with computers but i attached them. Some are straight from the website so u know its legit the others were takin in my old college room. Btw thanks for all the info guys its really helping.
You must be registered for see images attach

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have never owned a true sports car and cant drive stick that great.

Learn how to drive a manual car first, Viper can be one of the more challenging sports cars to handle.

Don't loose sight of your dream.:2tu:

OP
OP
D

dgold3030

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh and heres my brothers aston just thought you other car guys would appreciate it as well as realize i dont talk crap im just here for help buying a new car not to impress anyone :nono:

Last edited:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red's an unusual color for an Aston. Mostly they're black, silver, etc. Not a fan of red on a car like that. From what I understand red Aston's don't hold their value either. Now red on a Viper is hot as is just about any other color.

OP
OP
D

dgold3030

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was my opinion at first 2. I think they are supposed to be sleek not flashy. But after Being around it more im kinda in love with the fact that its different. Also the pics dont do the color justice it looks kinda orange and its a fire red. I will say if it didnt have the rims i wouldnt like the color.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here you go i hope they loaded im not great with computers but i attached them. Some are straight from the website so u know its legit the others were takin in my old college room. Btw thanks for all the info guys its really helping.

If you get the Viper, you definitely win at LIFE :lmao:

:2tu:

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Chicks Hot, who's the ugly guy? Her brother?, LOL just kidding, go ahead and take the plunge you will not regret buying a Viper. The car is beyond belief, and the car club is even better.

good luck, take you time, research, and get what you want, buyers market out there now:2tu:

I take it your in Florida??, we have a great Central Florida Viper Club

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can't drive stick well...I don't think 600 hp is the the best car for you at this time with your current driving skill. As long as you can take your time and learn the car, you will be fine. I know when I was 24, I would have wrecked a Viper.

I have went from 300 hp Corvettes to 600 rwhp Corvettes before getting into a Viper. This progression was over a number of years.... If you do get the Viper, I would take some high performance driving classes.

Lundqvist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dgold

Being a newbie my self, i dont have a whole lot to add, just nice seeing someone doin well in life , being young hot gf and a good paying job, cant ask for more.

I found a guy who has been racing for 11 years, to give me driving lessons for 25 bucks an hour, cant beat that as i dont even know how to drive manuel. I would diff take driving lessons for sure! just to be safe!

jdavis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You seem like a guy who is in tune with luxury and comforts but smitten by the look and aura of the Viper. The Viper isn't a car for everyone and certainly not as docile as your MB or your brother's Aston. You need to spend some seat time with a Viper either as a driver or passenger before you decide to buy. You will then get the feel of the comfort level, manual gear box, firm ride, and power without nanny assists. Renting a Viper for a while is excellent advice. You will find if your dream meets your expectations or that something else might fill your needs better. :beer:

Last edited:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offense meant but you can't drive a stick, you rely on traction control and worry about exhaust heat, and you're looking at a 600hp Viper?

On the other hand you have a hot girlfriend.

Post more pics of the chick to help us decide.

OP
OP
D

dgold3030

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can drive stick just not awesome. I driven stick a total of maybe 15x. Mostly on an 04 porsche c4s only stalled once going up someones driveway. Other than that the only manual I have driven was my old roomates wrangler . Honestly I think I will be fine as everyone I ask says I'm a great driver and will Learn in no time. Really I'm just concerned about spending the money and not being happy. As for the creature comforts how much do they really put in a roadster anyway . I feel all I need is a cd player and ac. I can throw in a gps for a couple hundred $. On the traction control and exaust heat I'm not super worried about it's just the only negatives I have found through reaserch on the net and I'd like to know how u feel about it as an owner of the car not just someone testing it.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, remember dgold, the VIPER is a VERY RAW BEAST. It's a DRIVERS' car...you and ONLY YOU are in control. This is a car NOT to underestimate. As suggested, rent one and drive it in a parking lot WITH NO POLES (lol)...get to feel the clutch, shifting, braking, acceleration...it's a WHOLE NEW BALL GAME!!!! THEN, you will be stricken immediately with VIPER FEVER, there WILL be no turning back~!!!! Good Luck...keep us posted!
~juli

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>I have never owned a true sports car and cant drive stick that great...<<<
>>>Also does the lack of traction control and exhaust heat...<<<
>>>Its cheeper with better milage...<<<

Viper & milage in one sentence - again! :lmao:

Either you can drive a manual transmission or NOT.
There is NO middle-rate - DOT

You drive a comfy Benz, talk about a comfy BMW and you want to "beat" the comfy Aston. You should stay away from Vipers - Chuck is right, as always - and post more pictures of your gf!

The Viper is a beast, a brutal driving machine, raw power.
Makes me smile every time I drive one. :D

That's the only reason you think about buying a Viper:
>>>Plus my brother has an 08 aston martin vantage conv. he keeps telling me my cars a piece of **** so i gotta shut him up a bit.<<<

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look many of us, maybe most, never drove anything as fast as a Viper before we bought one. I lusted after one for a long time and then finally made the plunge. John Gastman at Roanoke gave me the opportunity to test drive one for a few minutes. I started the drive by starting out in third, obviously not the smartest thing. But you know it was fine. It wouldn't have mattered how that car drove, I just had to have it.

I never before drove anything as fast or as raw as that Gen 2 Viper but now I have two Vipers. A Gen 3 with a Paxton supercharger and a Gen 4. The Gen 3 puts down 646 rwhp and the Gen 4 puts out 600 bhp. And both of them are easier to drive than my old Gen 2 even though they have at least 150 more hp. Now don't get me wrong you must treat the car right. Mistreat her and she'll be like your girlfriend, she slap you into tomorrow.

Oh one other thing. I used to have an 03 Aston DB7 GT in Tungsten Silver with 465 bhp and a six speed. That car was drop dead gorgeous, rare as hell and I really liked it a lot. It was not as fast as the Viper but it was a pain in the a## to drive. It had a clutch that was like an on/off switch. I stalled that sucker more times than I would care to admit and I've been driving a manual for 35 years. It was actually much harder to drive than my Vipers. It only came with a 2 year unlimited warranty and after than watch out. We talk about the "Viper Tax" but that is nothing compared to the "Aston Tax". I sold that car to buy my second Viper, the one pictured in my current Avatar.

Lastly there is no car club on the planet as good as the VCA, I've been in many of them and the VCA beats them all hands down.

So I say take the plunge.

OP
OP
D

dgold3030

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its like you didnt read my last post i can def drive a stick. Just never anything with 600hp im sure its fine just asking questions to be ahead of the ball game. Honestly were you 100% sure the viper was for you before you ever drove one? Can you blame me for only diving cars with traction control im 24 and i have always had new cars. Everyone of them with traction control (first car in 01 it was already pretty standard) . I dont "rely" on traction control its just always been there. Never drove anything without it. From some of the youtubes i have seen it seems like its wide enough not to make a difference though. Really all i can say is i have always been in love with the car, i love to drive and i can afford it. I dont care about pampered i just want something im gonna love(cd player and ac is all i need). If i get it i plan on keeping it for a long time and making this my first project car. I have always wanted one since high school and i used to go to the local races with my friends. Im not a racer but i love the adrenaline rush you get from pushing a really fast car. My father said it to me like this you can buy whatever you want but you dont seem to look away from the viper if it was me i wouldnt cause i love being comfortable in my car but you have always wanted more from everything you had maybe this will finally quench your need for hp

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its like you didnt read my last post i can def drive a stick. Just never anything with 600hp im sure its fine just asking questions to be ahead of the ball game. Honestly were you 100% sure the viper was for you before you ever drove one? Can you blame me for only diving cars with traction control im 24 and i have always had new cars. Everyone of them with traction control (first car in 01 it was already pretty standard) . I dont "rely" on traction control its just always been there. Never drove anything without it. From some of the youtubes i have seen it seems like its wide enough not to make a difference though. Really all i can say is i have always been in love with the car, i love to drive and i can afford it. I dont care about pampered i just want something im gonna love(cd player and ac is all i need). If i get it i plan on keeping it for a long time and making this my first project car. I have always wanted one since high school and i used to go to the local races with my friends. Im not a racer but i love the adrenaline rush you get from pushing a really fast car. My father said it to me like this you can buy whatever you want but you dont seem to look away from the viper if it was me i wouldnt cause i love being comfortable in my car but you have always wanted more from everything you had maybe this will finally quench your need for hp

I think you should stop beating yourself up about the decision and just buy a Viper. You will not regret it. Read my last post again. I was just like you. I always wanted one and I just went and did it. Do the same and don't worry about how well you drive a stick. The Viper is not hard to drive as long as you don't try to get over your head too soon. Remember the learning curve and be careful until you know the car. Heck that applies to any high HP car.

jdavis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From your last post, it appears that you have made up your mind. You do not seem to hear the advice the members here have given you nor do you hear the advice given by your father. Yet you say that you don't want to experience buyers remorse. :dunno:
Sooo...OK, don't rent one to get a feel for it. Don't consider the dangers and temptations of being a novice high performance vehicle owner with a ton of HP and torque ready to unleash its fury on the uninitiated.
Go out and buy yourself a Viper and fulfill that "dream". Turn on that CD and have a blast.
BTW, you might want to consider a good life insurance policy as well as a comprehensive auto policy.
Enjoy the ride! :eater:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave