Would you trade your Viper and cash for a Ford GT?

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a chance. The FGT was designed for old fools looking for something sporty that rides as smooth as a lincoln town car. At 59 I am way to young to drive a car designed for some old fool. GTS Bruce

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
funny to see this thread as I am between a newer viper or the gt. i have owned 4
vipers so far and thought it would be fun to try something new. however for the dollars the viper just cant be beat. i am on the fence on this.:dunno: its winter here so no hurry.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Besides, I never liked the idea of Ford only building a set number of them. Exclusitivity isn't important to me. I want a car that's gonna be around a while.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a chance. The FGT was designed for old fools looking for something sporty that rides as smooth as a lincoln town car. At 59 I am way to young to drive a car designed for some old fool. GTS Bruce

i thought you owned one already ?

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

First time I have ever heard the FGT described as a car for "old fools"...

They are bad mofos. Add a pulley and exhaust and you are ready to go...

You must be registered for see images

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NEVER....To me to GT40 is wayyy 0ver rated.The Viper is lots cheaper, lots prettier, lots faster and gets as much attention as any GT40. To me it would be stepping down in performance. Thats way I sold my 911 TWIN TURBO Cab S Porsche. Boring... :bonker::hitwithrock::buttkick::duh::no1::no1::no1:

Definitely well said...same reason I sold my 04 Ferrari 360, and went into Viper. Raw American muscle car, with all the trimmings and in your face styling.

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would keep the Viper and add the GT if I could.

When we were coming home from visiting my sister in Atlanta, My wife and I were in Iowa on I-80 headed east to Illinois. We were west of Davenport when three GT's past us. All had Iowa plates numbered GT 1, GT 2 and GT 3.

I used the opportunity to show my wife that we should have one of those also. She was silent.

I was great seeing a GT on the road but three in a row was incredible.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gawk FACTOR WISE the FGT EASILY takes contest(a ton more exotic looking than the GEN 3-GEN 4 S) as far as VALUE(supply and demand thing ) again you can not compare because there are propably 10X the amount of Vipers on the road than FGTs.It all comes down to whether one is in the financial shape to lay out 150 plus on a TOY.

OP
OP
gofastr

gofastr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I test drove a FGT today. The handling and acceleration don't seem any better than my Gen IV. It does have the cool factor but the $75,000 they wanted plus my car turned me off.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I test drove a FGT today. The handling and acceleration don't seem any better than my Gen IV. It does have the cool factor but the $75,000 they wanted plus my car turned me off.
Perf wise they are almost identical ,you have to ask yourself IF the GAWK factor is worth over twice what a GEN 4 (ALTHOUGH THE GT WILL HOLD ITS VALUE BETTER )is going for used.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There's a dealer here looking to sell a 06 Black with the stripe delete, and 12,000 miles on the clock, for high $120's. If you want to drive the GT, this is the car to get (not if you want to collect, since it's a "higher mileage" GT).

The problem with the GT is that it just doesn't feel fast. My friend has a 1020rwhp TT FGT which I have driven, and it FELT slower than my stock 08 Viper. Of course, there's a HUGE difference between what it feels like, and how bad he kicked my @$$ when we were playing around. It also did 214.x at the Texas Mile this year. Getting In/Out of the car is much harder than the Viper, because of the doors. You either have to swing them all the way out, or duck under the roof to avoid hitting your head or cutting your eye open. When I drive beside him, it makes the Viper invisible, but I don't blame anyone for that. As far as being compared to a F430 or Gallardo, it probably gets the same amount of attention, and the services aren't that expensive. They are easy to mod (pulley, tune, filter, exhaust - 602rwhp) and the motor/fuel system is capable of 1000rwhp from the factory. I would love to have a FGT or a Gallardo as my next car, but probably won't be able to do that and start a family :(. Good luck if you decide to look for another FGT!

Here is a pic of the GT
You must be registered for see images

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no one can say the f-gt is not a hard ass car- its american at that! look at it- it is a nice ride....:usa:

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A copy of an original is just a copy. Just like a copy of a Gauguin is just a copy. Yes it is interesting and gives pleasure but what is its worth? It marks you as a poser. Would it not be better to have an original of something? Painting,clothes,furniture,statue,automobile....... If you must have a GT 40 (and who can afford an original? not I) certainly a kit car built in the original configuration with a 427 would be more desireable. Oh and how have the new poser model gt40 been doing at the track? The answer is better stick to street so called "racing" and drifting. GTS Bruce

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
old cars drive like old cars- new cars drive like new cars and with all the creature comforts to boot. old cars are just too look at- yeah they are cool. cool sittin in a garage- to drive- they ****!they are old-----

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To the coment, "Just add a pulley and exhaust" to a Ford GT - Imagine if you "just added a supercharger and exhaust to a Viper and saved the other $60,000? TT Viper with change? No bling in a FGT anyway (not compared to a GTS). I do pick a FGT as second to the Viper though.

If they were free, I'd take the FGT before a Challenger. Kids have moved out so I only need 1 passenger seat. Ummm, they do make a cargo rack for the wife's suitcase though ... right? I wouldn't mind no glove box (Elastic band around sunvisor and registration/insurance), but the wife wouldn't go in a FGT if she couldn't take a couple suitcases. Actually, I need a change of clothes every couple thousand miles myself.

Ted

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NEVER....To me to GT40 is wayyy 0ver rated.The Viper is lots cheaper, lots prettier, lots faster and gets as much attention as any GT40. To me it would be stepping down in performance. Thats way I sold my 911 TWIN TURBO Cab S Porsche. Boring... :bonker::hitwithrock::buttkick::duh::no1::no1::no1:

Totally Disagree... they are two totally different cars... I have 2 Vipers and a GT and love both Vipers and the GT!

Here is my favorite Viper and my GT painted by the designer of the GT
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hate to admit it but of course depending on the money, yes the Viper would go for a GT. Far more rare, much more collectable and far more prized and desired than a Viper. I would however, make every effort to get another Viper as soon as possible.

XXX BLK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a Ford GT40 I would sale one of the Vipers BUT could never see myself without a Viper. The men and women I met in the Viper World are by far "THE BEST" of any car clubs :2tu:

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally Disagree... they are two totally different cars... I have 2 Vipers and a GT and love both Vipers and the GT!

Here is my favorite Viper and my GT painted by the designer of the GT
picture.php

picture.php

Jerry while I like your car those have to be the ugliest wheels I've ever seen on a sports car.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all boils down to this : Talk to someone that has both. If your chiming in & don't actually own both then how do you really know ? The owners are just as passionate about the Ford GT as are Viper Owners. Sure you can buy 3 Vipers for 1 GT depending upon the year, but Ford didn't have to devalue the car in order to sell. A very high percentage of Ford GT's are selling at MSRP or over, can we say that about the Viper? Don't get me wrong i love my Vipers.

Frank I agree with you as I do own both and most of the opinion I am reading have no fact basis and many opinions are just plain wrong. I like my ACR a lot when I am on a road course but not so much on the street, for me its not in the same league as the GT as a total package. The exotic looks, interior quality, exhaust note and the way the cars drive, I have to take the GT, its really no contest IMO.

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is this thread really about? Are we talking about comparing the two cars or simply inquiring if you would make the trade if you could? Are we talking about a Gen 1-2-3 or 4 Viper because their is only one FGT. Would one trade a Ferrari 430 and cash for a Murcielago? Forget the trade and cash aspect, break down the cars forgetting about money. I've heard people in this thread say "it's a Ford", that's just stupid. I've heard people in this thread say it would be a backward move, that's even more stupid. I like many have had both and simply put the Ford is more exclusive by far, has great iconic history that many of us remember and cherish because it was monumental in the racing world when the GT40 kicked Ferrari and everybody else's ass four years in a row at Lemans, the car is way more well balanced, every bit if not more well respected and w/out question more of a attraction. Like I said I've owned both and forgetting cost the FGT is undoubtedly a more desirable car. This debate can rage forever and I totally can appreciate the proudness of an owner who wants to be product loyal, but the fact is the GT has more going for it!!!:usa:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave