Catless Exhaust Smog Issues?

Sn8kebit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys;

I was trying to find a thread in regards to smog complications with Vipers that have removed their cats but couldn't find anything. Has anyone had issues of failing smog inspections due to not having cats on there cars?

I was thinking of removing mine when installing a new exhaust but want to know if that may create a problem with inspection. I live in CA by the way.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CA as in California? Surely as environmentally conscious as California is, there is no way you can get away without having cats :dunno:.

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
There are LOTS of threads on this. By my memory...you'll have trouble in CA if you do remove the cats.

Check with Dan Cragin at DC Performance to be sure.

Good luck.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
visual test? does CA have an X-ray machine or something:dunno:

Just go with hi-flows when you do the system. It will sound great and leave your sills much cooler.

What year? Do you have discoloring on the sills yet?

OP
OP
S

Sn8kebit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just bought a turbo system that comes complete with a 3 inch exhaust system and Borla exhaust and doesn't have cats. The guy who sold it to me is a viper tuner that has been in the business for fifteen years and he saids that there us no way that can be detected unless you have issues and have engine light on or they remove the sills. I just want to be sure if this info is true

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had cats in and out. Depending on year you will need syms. It will not pass a sniff test. This winter I am having the cat section v banded as well as a same length pice of stainless by viper specialty. Easy in and easy out. GTS Bruce

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought a turbo system that comes complete with a 3 inch exhaust system and Borla exhaust and doesn't have cats. The guy who sold it to me is a viper tuner that has been in the business for fifteen years and he saids that there us no way that can be detected unless you have issues and have engine light on or they remove the sills. I just want to be sure if this info is true

It may pass sniffer except for Nox, which it will fail.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's pretty simple. No cats, no pass...

If you do it, save the original setup for an easy swap at testing time.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I remember right, a single high flow cat will pass sniffer when new, but fail after some miles.

If you are in California, you are best off leaving the cats in.

Don't think new cars need smog test till 5 years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets