My DIY car skates. (wheel dollies)

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having a 28 x 20 garage and a need to fit 3 cars in it during the winter months prompted me to devise a solution to my problem. You can buy regular wheel dollies that your tires sit in so you can spin the car around in the garage, but I wanted to go one step further and build something that would give me mobility as well as the height to be able to work under the car.

Nothing pretty, used some metal I had laying around.

You must be registered for see images attach

And yes, I have the rotors locked so they cannot spin when the car is being moved.

Later,
1990 300zx ttv8
2002 WRX

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love ingenuity, that's a great setup. Are those extra duty casters, because they look to be a little small?

OP
OP
A

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, the casters are rated at 300 pounds each, 1200 lbs per corner, 4800 lbs total. My car weighed in at 3390 lbs at the weigh station.

Later,
1990 300zx ttv8
2002 WRX

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice! From one home fabricator to another, parts happen right?

Seriously though, a RED Viper would wiggle it's way off of those.

I think you should post a disclaimer ***SUITABLE FOR WIMPY YELLOW CARS ONLY***

:D

anaconda666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A great Canadian solution eh - now I know why there was 4 shopping carts without wheels at the No Frills yesterday :2tu:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The casters are the key. I have some dollies that will give you a hernia if you try to move the car, so they are nearly worthless. In contrast I've see how easy it is to move a car on the dollies made by quiklift and all it took was a bit of a lean against the car.

How easy is it to move your car with your dollies? Where did you get the casters?

OP
OP
A

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anaconda666 - Ha, busted!

plumcrazy - Thanks, I need my Tim Hortons coffee, not sure it has caught on deep in the states yet, but it is crack for Canadians.

Venomiss - Snow isn't the problem, it is the tire chains. ;)

FrankBarba - Ask and ye shall receive, this was the first one I built so I had to make a few "adjustments".

You must be registered for see images attach

Chuck 98 RT/10 - I got the casters from a place called Princess Auto. The problem I have moving the car around is the flimsy body panels and uneven garage floor. With an even floor and something solid to push/pull on, it would be a joke to move around.

Later,

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice and ingenious but the caster rating does seem a bit short. Perhaps your garage floor is perfectly flat. I could not get away with it in my garage. Do patent your idea before I do! :2tu:

+1 on the Tim Hortons. :headbang:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456