You Know You're a Canadian When...

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my Miata (I know, I know) to the car wash today. It was about -10C when I went. It was lined up!

When I pulled into the wash bay I literally had to steer around some monster fender bergs from the car before me. Then when I started washing the car the water just froze on the paint. Eventually the car warmed up enough and it all came clean. Of course when I got home the doors were frozen closed.

Now my Miata looks nice! Well... for a Miata.

:can1:

Greg

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice! The good thing is when it's cold like that it will stay clean, too.
You may need to explain "fender bergs" to our friends south of the border.

Nope - you have to be in 'the club' to know what a fender berg is. It's like our American friends and the term 'jungle clip'. As far as I know, it's a short movie about tigers. But I might be wrong.;)

Greg

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the term 'jungle clip'. As far as I know, it's a short movie about tigers.

Greg

Gee, and all this time I thought it was a Babe peeling out of a leopard thong ... sheesh, good think I watch the forums.

You can't wash your car unless you're going to park it in a garage for the next day - unless you leave the roof off. Washing the cars with the windows down you don't need to worry about the frozen doors - just jump in over the door!

My Stealth is gonna get washed when I go to Vancouver ... where it just rains all day and night 275 days of the year. I'm sure that the salt and crushed gravel they put on highway 97 will get it dirtier than it is now and I'll have to fireup the woodstove and bucket wash my car by hand when I get home.

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We own a Steaming / Pressure Washing Company and travel around Alberta washing and thawing mainly oil field equipment and thawing water and sewer lines for acerage owners. The norm is we will wash to -10 degrees or else you have a block of ice when you are through, I remember one year it was -38 below and we got some idiot consultant had to have a drilling rig washed before they moved it to the new location, He hired 5 Steam companys to wash around the clock in -38 and it took 36 hours of constant washing to get the rig washed, We finished the rig but I have no idea how he got the rig broke loose from the ground. Don't know if he still has a job or not,(Don't Care) Only in Alberta,:D:D

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice! The good thing is when it's cold like that it will stay clean, too.
You may need to explain "fender bergs" to our friends south of the border.

Fender berg is the ice that builds up behind the wheel on the lower part of rear of the fender well. It is caused by wet snow and/or moist highways/streets in the first 15 or 20 degrees below freezing point. The "berg" looks like a small ice berg and can be solid enough to do damage to your car if run over.:omg: The "berg" can get fairly large-18" across- depending on conditions and size of car/truck.

Anyone have a good picture?:dunno:

Big Al

Viper Owner
Reaction score
NO the Miata was put away first because the Viper to too much fun to be without for the long winter
My wife refers to the Viper as "HISSVIPR" (would make a good license plate) and I am to refer to the Miata has her car. It seems that I have only driven the Miata once or twice since we got the SRT10.

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO the Miata was put away first because the Viper to too much fun to be without for the long winter
My wife refers to the Viper as "HISSVIPR" (would make a good license plate) and I am to refer to the Miata has her car. It seems that I have only driven the Miata once or twice since we got the SRT10.

Geez. The Miata is an EXELLENT winter car. Don't put it away!

I had a 1991 that I put snow tires on and away I went. It was lowered but it did just fine. Now I have a 2008 with the power retractable hard top and it just blazes through the snow.

Here's a pic of me (in my old Miata)from when I was teaching the BMW High Performance Winter Driving School a couple of years ago.

I just love backing it in on trailing throttle. Top down. Wheeee!:headbang:

Greg

Attachments

• Canadian Commuter.jpg
    Canadian Commuter.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 25

Big Al

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Top down in the winter, YES. That is why they make toques and scarfs. My friends are always giving my wife hats and earmufs because I like the top down so much. But I have not been brave enough go top down in the winter. I have always put my fun cars away when the salt comes. Maybe next year I should play in the winter with my MX5 (04 Mazdaspeed, lowered an extra inch)

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Come on guys ... there's a winter supercar that's Canadian through and through. Here it is the picture published in the new 2010 3SI calendar. Seems the only Stealth TT featured and the only pic that has anything other than cars and city buildings in the entire calendar. Only other pic that shows a moving car is the cover showing a Hunter Green Stealth racing.

You must be registered for see images

92 Hunter Green Stealth R/T TT. This one has 120,000 miles on it, but with 13G turbos and few other little mods (6spd, welded intake, exhaust, HKS etc.) it's a 500hp Porsche 911 killer. I can't think of any other car worth mentioning. The wife's 365hp 4x4 Hemi Ram is not comparable in any way. Don't let the winter slow things down much. 30mpg means that I can drive more miles even with the new Carbon/Gas Taxes.

Maybe for next year I should send them a pic of my Black Stealth TT parked at a Hockey game? -not outside a city ice rink, but the ice rink that had the adults and kids playing hockey on the lake? Or maybe the curling slide they made News Years eve? The made the rocks out of slabs cut from a Poplar tree, bent spike for a handle and they 'iced' the bottoms for slipperyness. LOL. That would be Canadian. Imports are NOT Canadian.

Ted

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So two Western Canadian friends are sitting in a Bar drinking. One says to the other: "Let's play twenty questions". The other friend says: "Sure. You go first." The first friend says: " I am thinking of something to eat." The second friend says: " Is it Moose c***?"

Just a joke from a Jewish Mechanic

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Steak, right? I think I have a huge slab of Moose steak in my freezer. Had some custom Moose sausage couple days ago, it was pretty good.

Saw 2 Moose in Gus's meadow couple days ago and 6 Cariboo 3 days ago.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Custom Moose sausage eh? Sure it was Moose sausage. Sure it was. Keep telling yourself that. LOL.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Deer tastes like s*** I heard Bob. I don't like the taste of Deer and don't know what s*** tastes like. But I do know that Moose tastes wayyyyyy better than Beef - even Alberta Beef! Moose is also way healthier than Beef.

1blueviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have a good picture?:dunno:[/quote]

Heres a pic , kinda gives the idea .( Thats actually salt ! )
we havent seen a lot of warm weather to form the bergs this winter .

Attachments

• salttrk.jpg
    salttrk.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 20

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope. Miami is still in Florida. Unless you meant Warfang who is in California but I do not believe that he is Jewish. By the way, the Moose joke above has been told over and over again at numerous functions by different people. For some reason, people think it is very funny. No offense intended. Western Canada is one of the most beautiful areas of our planet. You are all fortunate to live there.

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You're jealous Bob. Not just beautiful, but we have lots of Moose!

Better than Kubasa

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're jealous Bob. Not just beautiful, but we have lots of Moose!

Better than Kubasa

Very funny. I do not know whether you are old enough to remember but when I was growing up there was an expression: "Cool as a Moose." It was a flattering phrase. I never understood where it came from. Perhaps Western Canada? Eh?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yah, I'm old (eh, Ron?), but that must have been the Amercian expression. I remember "cool as a cucumber" - and I don't know any vegetarians here.
:) :)

I even got wrinkles

Jim C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol, I have a Miata as well. I wonder how many Viper owners have (or have owned) a Miata.

Actually, this is my third one...

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol, I have a Miata as well. I wonder how many Viper owners have (or have owned) a Miata.

Actually, this is my third one...

I'm on my second one. I drove it to work this morning. Icy roads! YOOHOO! What a blast.

Greg

Attachments

• Canadian Commuter.jpg
    Canadian Commuter.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 5

Jim C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm on my second one. I drove it to work this morning. Icy roads! YOOHOO! What a blast.

Greg

The most telling part of that picture is that the top is down.

Whenever I see someone driving around on a beautiful day with the top up, I think "they just don't get it".