Sequential shift Transmissions

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to bring this up again as I didnt receive any reponses the first time. It got lost in the auto vs manual transmission thread a couple of months ago.

My question is; after seeing a comp coupe with one at VOI 10 at the drag strip, where is that program now? Are there folks running them? I would appreciate any info that is out there.

thanks
Steve A.

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Inquiring minds want to know.

I would still want a shifter car because it's fun to drive,
but at a drag strip i would think an automatic would really do a viper justice?
Someone has to have tested both. :dunno:

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to bring this up again as I didnt receive any reponses the first time. It got lost in the auto vs manual transmission thread a couple of months ago.

My question is; after seeing a comp coupe with one at VOI 10 at the drag strip, where is that program now? Are there folks running them? I would appreciate any info that is out there.

thanks
Steve A.

both holinger and emco (might be enco, i forget) make sequential boxes for vipers. i have a holinger in mine. Mark from woodhouse is accurate with the pricing

I love the sequential, a flat shift on boost is a thing of beauty!

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
both holinger and emco (might be enco, i forget) make sequential boxes for vipers. i have a holinger in mine. Mark from woodhouse is accurate with the pricing

I love the sequential, a flat shift on boost is a thing of beauty!

Is your box "clutchless" up and down?

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked about them once at a VOI tech session many years ago. Herb's reply was that the torque handling requirements would dictate a very expensive gearbox, too expensive to consider for the production car. And that was back in the Gen II days. I guess Mark's cost on a gearbox pretty much backs that up. Shame, it would be a blast.

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, I would like more information re the sequential shift tranny you install. Most specifically how it operates and the paddles appearance on the interior of the car. What are its limitations in terms of driveability? Is it similar to Ferrari f360 or is it like the newer iteration in the California.

Thanks Eagles

67PLY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw this over on the SRT-10 Ram site. Might be an alternative for some of you.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI2fGeL7DEE[/media]

Later,
Joe B

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is your box "clutchless" up and down?

it has that capability, but I don't have the stones or skill set for it to be clutchless on the way down with the current setup, I still clutch it on downshifts..

The motec could control an electronic TB like on the 08's to do a throttle blip for the downshift, but my car is an 06 and doesn't have the electronic TB, that woudl make it a whole lot easier to clutchless downshift.

i look at converting, but i didn't want to do the r&d

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, I would like more information re the sequential shift tranny you install. Most specifically how it operates and the paddles appearance on the interior of the car. What are its limitations in terms of driveability? Is it similar to Ferrari f360 or is it like the newer iteration in the California.

Thanks Eagles

neither box has paddles shifters, just a go stick!

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it has that capability, but I don't have the stones or skill set for it to be clutchless on the way down with the current setup, I still clutch it on downshifts..

The motec could control an electronic TB like on the 08's to do a throttle blip for the downshift, but my car is an 06 and doesn't have the electronic TB, that woudl make it a whole lot easier to clutchless downshift.

i look at converting, but i didn't want to do the r&d

So what I am hearing is that the only real advantage is rowing up the gears-is that correct?

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what I am hearing is that the only real advantage is rowing up the gears-is that correct?

for m yes, i am sure a more skilled driver with a race team budget can utilize the clutchless downshift. Either way, the downshifts sequentially have to be quicker than downshifts in an h pattern six speed.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somewhere hereabouts, Justin Bell posted an in-car video when he drove a GTS-R at Goodwood that had been equipped with a sequential box.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss