New Viper in France

Cyruss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi VCA Members !

I have recently brought the Red Viper GTS 97 from Viperkraz.

I imported it to France in December 09.

Unfortunately it started to snow a few days after its arrival. So I have just drove it 35 miles ...

The weather should be ok in a few weeks now, I cannot wait to drive it again !

I have already subscribed a trackday at SPA Francorchamps in Belgium ! it's gonna be great !!!!

This is a picture of it, with other US cars (My job is to import US car to sell it in France).

You must be registered for see images

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Cyruss i take it you know about the big meeting in Brussels today ?
which the euro's are trying to stop the import of any vehicle !! not good news at all....

the UK government is against the ruling

OP
OP
C

Cyruss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all of you to welcome me in the big Viper family !!

Hi Cyruss i take it you know about the big meeting in Brussels today ?
which the euro's are trying to stop the import of any vehicle !! not good news at all....

the UK government is against the ruling

I'am not aware of the big meeting in brussels ... What kind of stupid law are they going to create ???

We gonna fight if we need to ! I cannot live (perssonaly and professionaly) without american cars !

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all of you to welcome me in the big Viper family !!

I'am not aware of the big meeting in brussels ... What kind of stupid law are they going to create ???

We gonna fight if we need to ! I cannot live (perssonaly and professionaly) without american cars !

The European Commission is trying to ban the import of new American Cars (up to six months old) using excessive technical standards in a new Harmonised Individual Vehicle Approval Scheme. As importers all around Europe have been getting around the current import rules

The latest proposal for a new Harmonised European Individual Vehicle Approval system will make the import of new American vehicles (up to six months old) impossible with the current ruling. There are many technical pitfalls. Here are some of the generalized examples (some dont apply to the viper :) )

* American headlights are no good anymore. This alone will ban the cars.
There are no replacement headlight for most American cars.

* There is a requirement for a full-sized European number plate. This will require a new rear end to be fitted to most vehicles or unsightly modifications

The American Import Agents Association (AIAA) have spent three years working with the UK Department for Transport to get the current import regulations position which is just achievable.

Final Voting on new proposed regulations takes place in Brussels in February.

There are rumours that older cars will be the next ones to be targeted, which will kill off a lot of european companies and make importing an older vehicle also impossible....

some of the UK import and parts companies are of course fighting this, and are putting lots of cash and time into it

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice. Congratulations on your new toy. That RT/10 in the background looks great too! Must be nice to have in France since there are so few of them.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ups.....been not that much online at ...passion.com since I do NOT speak French...otherwise I cant believe the BS going on with importing cars. EU bureaucrats at best?

Have been to the Le Mans classic and its much better than the 24h (diesel) - but not in 2010.

OP
OP
C

Cyruss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very nice. Congratulations on your new toy. That RT/10 in the background looks great too! Must be nice to have in France since there are so few of them.

We should be less than 80 Viper Gen1&2 in France, but Gen3 is sell officialy by the Dodge/Chrysler brand, there are at least 100 Gen3 roadster in France.

It's so cool when we (can) meet together, the highest number (me not include) was 10 at the same time ! (and it was under the rain, on the 6th January 2008 !)

OP
OP
C

Cyruss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ups.....been not that much online at ...passion.com since I do NOT speak French...otherwise I cant believe the BS going on with importing cars. EU bureaucrats at best?

Have been to the Le Mans classic and its much better than the 24h (diesel) - but not in 2010.

Even if we have an english area, I understand that it's not very easy to participate.

Concerning the next european law, I don't think it's gonna happen, it's bring so much money in the system : 30% of tax at the port, then at least 3000€ in order to pass the regulation test (exhaust, brake, lights ... blabla ..) all in the pocket of the states without making anything.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't have guessed that there were so many Vipers in France.

I occasionally get to drive around southern France in the Toulouse/Albi area. I can't image trying to drive a Viper through some of the streets in the smaller towns though. Scares me in a tiny Citroen rental car :D

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if we have an english area, I understand that it's not very easy to participate.

Concerning the next european law, I don't think it's gonna happen, it's bring so much money in the system : 30% of tax at the port, then at least 3000€ in order to pass the regulation test (exhaust, brake, lights ... blabla ..) all in the pocket of the states without making anything.

i dont beleive its about money, in the grand scheme of things a few million euros per year is nothing

if its already gone this far they must be thinking they have enough support to make any ruling stick

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
From my travels, its clear that American cars are just a very tiny slice of the market in Europe, not even worth mentioning. If the Euro zone doesnt want the competition, they are sneezing at a tiny speck of dust. I cant imagine that hardly any business $ is being lost to American manufacturers.

If I lived in Berlin, Paris, Athens or London, etc, I wouldnt want a big car, or even a nice car for daily driving. They park by ear it seems, and in the city, almost every car's bumpers are all gouged up. A car there is just a utilitarian appliance, and it WILL get scratched! Better to drive a Smart car, or similar. Cheap on fuel, easy to park.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Dayum! Now this happens, just when we started making cars that can go around corners! :D

i dont beleive its about money, in the grand scheme of things a few million euros per year is nothing

if its already gone this far they must be thinking they have enough support to make any ruling stick

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome and Congrats! Enjoy. These cars are beyond amazing. If you happen to get any great photos with your car and French landmarks be sure to share!

Don't forget to enter your VIN number on your profile so you show up as an owner and join the VCA :)

Drive on! :drive:
ViperGal

OP
OP
C

Cyruss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's true, European street (and roads) are not enough wide to drive a viper safely. But, we get used to ... and we enjoy it the most on the highway or on national road, kind of highway but with some wide coners ;)

For info, our highway is not so wide than yours ... we only have 3 way on it :p and 1 way on national !

As soon as the weather become shiny, i'll make you some pictures of my viper with beautiful landmark.

PS : I drove a WV polo 4cyl 1,2L 45ch for daily driving ... easy to park, low fuel .... soporific stuff ....

The following pictures was taken in the south of France, beautiful 96 GTS on the french little and twisty roads !