2012/2013 Viper

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why waste this design. It's magnificent. Why not update it a bit; put a supercharged V10 in it, and, presto chango, we have the 2012/2013 Viper. Who agrees?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I didn't see any pics, but I did find this in the 2010-2014 plans.

Viper stops after another 500 units, then might restart in 2012 (it might show up on a Fiat platform - presumably Maserati or Ferrari and possibly using that twin-turbo Pentastar V6).

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ME412 was a prototype vehicle that almost came to the marketplace. It did 0 to 60 in 2.9 seconds; the quarter in 10.6, and topped out at 240 MPH. It was a quad turbo design. It is on the Allpar site. I believe there are still two working models at Chrysler. If they had made it, it would have been limited to a run of about 300 per year.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK - now the pics are showing up. I agree about the ME412 - shame that they killed it (mostly for political reasons). I guess if I had spent a bazillion dollars and four years on the McLaren SLR and then some engineers from that crude American company came up with something better for a fraction of the cost and in one fourth the time, I'd probably want to kill it, too. I wonder if New Chrysler still have full rights to it - or if that got lost during the BK somehow...

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool looking car, but it doesn't look like a Viper to me. I prefer the traditional styling cues of all the current generations. They could be freshened up a little in styling, but I'd like a more modern chassis with lighter weight in mind this time around. Shoot for 3,000 lbs please!

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car above weighs a bit more tha 2800 pounds.

I"m with you on the car, but no need to supercharge it! just leave the Gen 4 motor and lighten up. with being a mid engine it would improve handling on that alone. After thinking about it, it looks like the easy way to come up with a new viper. NO!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Great design and it would be nice to see if the car could be reborn. It would be a " Super Premium " Viper, as the estimated retail on the car , at the time , was near $400,000. Some bandied around lower figures , but that was one that was brought up by many Chrysler personnel back then. With a new Viper out, it might make sense to do the standard line, the ACR, and then maybe a " Super Viper!"

Sure agree with you Bob that this design should not die, and Jon is right about the Firepower ( we have 6 deposits for that car just in case it might have been built ). An entire Viper line, ala Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, sounds awfully appealing for the future -- I think Jon may have been alluding to that idea.

le66

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

Who can help me to see the first pictures because I 'm realy interested by them to know if it's possible to built a prototype of a futur Viper...

I can't see the pictures in up, I check on ALLPAR but don't find a pic... :(

Who can catch the pics and used Imageshack to see them pleased? :dunno:

Thanks by advance. Chris. :)

You must be registered for see images

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that Dodge is already testing the waters for extending the Viper line.

The Firepower was a Viper chassis with plush interior/automatic tranny/V8 power.

ACR has been a huge success, the Club Racer is an extension of that, and the ACRX expands the envelope.

Think the future of Viper is bright, with unique niches available that are available nowhere else in the market place.

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah...looks like an Italian knockoff, and for you purists out there, ESC will surely be de rigueur. Lets stick with the USA muscular look, mabe with a supercharged option for the rocket set.

Nyoka

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Simple and faster to go proven turbo route. Wouldn't take two to wipe the grins off of the ZR1 crowd.

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally hope they kill the Viper line all together. Doing this would increase the value of our cars as collectors items in the future. Actually, I wish they gave the Viper name/platform the ax at the end of the 2nd gen.

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally hope they kill the Viper line all together. Doing this would increase the value of our cars as collectors items in the future. Actually, I wish they gave the Viper name/platform the ax at the end of the 2nd gen.

Your second post on this Forum since joining the VCA is to wish the Viper dead. Interesting. But, a bit off point.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Your thinking is too one sided. Think of it this way. If they kill the Viper then prices may go up for all Vipers but at different rates for each model. So, maybe someone who has a Gen 1 (or no Viper at all) but really wants a Gen 4. If they keep making Vipers, the owner of the Gen 1 will be able to afford a Gen 4 as it depreciates as the years pass. However, if they quit making the Vipers, the Gen 4 may not depreciate and the person with the Gen 1 (or no Viper at all) may never be able to own their dream car and that would be a shame. :smirk:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I didn't buy either of my Vipers for collector value. I bought them for fun value. I hope to buy more for the same reason.

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had created a front-engined "concept drawing" years ago. This old image has almost 12,000 views...

Here is the pic and the caption that went with it at that time (Sept. 2004).

30fe4-12-2.jpg

"September 2004. The latest concept car to come out of Chrysler was the "ME Four-Twelve". The "ME" stands for Mid-Engine, and the "Four-Twelve" stands for Four turbochargers and Twelve cylinders... It makes an outrageous 850hp and it cuts the eye with its equally outrageous forward-thinking edgy design.

Perhaps - this is the new design language of the factory styling studio... Perhaps - this hard sculpted design is a hint at the direction of the next Viper.

The Gen IV Viper, by my guess, would be shown around 2010, pretty far off... Perhaps 850hp would seem "just right" for the Viper, perhaps a "non-retro" design would be desirable to set the Viper apart from its "competitors" at that time...

Anyway, here is my "concept sketch" of just what a 2010 Viper might look like if we follow the lead of the ME Four-Twelve.."

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was a side-view...

Here is that pic and the caption that went with it at that time (Sept. 2004).

30fe4-12-1.jpg

"September 2004. Here is a side view of the 2010 Gen IV Viper "concept sketch" based on the "ME Four-Twelve" design language... I removed the twelve injector stacks under glass on this one. Some may not see this as a possible Viper, and I understand, and for those that feel that way, just call it a "FE Four-Twelve".

I have photochopped many front-engined Vipers into mid-engined Vipers I felt it was time to flip that around and create a front engined super high performance coupe out of the mid-engined "ME Four-Twelve" ..."

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think they should just tweak existing car...much like Porsche did with the 911 over the years and now Chevy with the Vette. The Viper should retain most of its DNA and just improve on it.

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sneaky Pete,
How old are you? I must be older for sure but by the time these get into high end collectables I will be dead and my kids will benefit from it and then there spouses will take half as the fights will start and end.
Lets keep the Viper going as long as we can and enjoy it, as for the future, we all do not know what our future brings, ENJOY......... the moment and not save it for someone else.
I am open to all and lets do what we can to keep this car alive.
my 2 cents

FLX109

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Ron. No disrespect intended but I do not think that the front engine version of the drawing above is in the same ballpark with the original design of the ME4-12 shown at the beginning of this thread. It is out of balance and looks like a customized Crossfire.

Bill P. If Dodge used the design and engine configuration with a supercharged V10, I do not think the car would be a super premium Viper - especially if less carbon Fiber was used. This would increase the weight a little but since the ME4-12 weighed in at a bit over 2800 pounds, there is some weight wiggle room.

Chuck. As someone recently posted in another thread, ESC will be mandatory for all cars by 2012 and the next Viper will have to have it.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Ron. No disrespect intended but I do not think that the front engine version of the drawing above is in the same ballpark with the original design of the ME4-12 shown at the beginning of this thread. It is out of balance and looks like a customized Crossfire.

Bill P. If Dodge used the design and engine configuration with a supercharged V10, I do not think the car would be a super premium Viper - especially if less carbon Fiber was used. This would increase the weight a little but since the ME4-12 weighed in at a bit over 2800 pounds, there is some weight wiggle room.

Chuck. As someone recently posted in another thread, ESC will be mandatory for all cars by 2012 and the next Viper will have to have it.

That means tha the Viper, the true essence of what the Viper is all about, dies in 2010.

No longer a pure drivers car when the computer nannies are helping, right Chuckie :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave