wheel hopping

steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 08 viper. Under heavy acceleration I get a lot of wheel hopping. What can I do to correct the problem. Thanks Steve

XTREMDRM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve ,
I have a 2008 ACR and I also get severe wheel hop.
I was told that it was an issue with the stiff suspension.
Is this a Gen 4 problem. ?? Glenn

Reaction score
First try and lower the rear pressures by a couple pounds and see if that helps. This is basically lessening the spring rate of the rear suspension.

OP
OP
S

steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glean, I was told to put the KW shocks this would take care of the problem. But this seames like a defect in the car. Why would I have to spend five to six grand to fix it. Your ACR already has the shocks. Need help, Steve

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2008 GEN-4 Viper I have has the best suspension ever built in from the factory (CAAP) in any Viper I owned/drove so far...check tire pressure and that everything is tight down there. :D

Alignment right?
Wheels balanced?
etc.

Reaction score
There is nothing defective about a Viper. Fact is that the Viper is a car built for the track "as in turns". It is also used for the drags although the suspention is not specifically for this. There is a compromise with everything in design, SRT is clearly more focused on overall track performance.

Few powerfull cars with an independant suspension are void of hop, and if so probably have much smaller tires. Changing to the Motons give some of this compromise back with greater overall wheel control without any trade off in handling, but it does as everything in life come at a price.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is nothing defective about a Viper. Fact is that the Viper is a car built for the track "as in turns". It is also used for the drags although the suspention is not specifically for this. There is a compromise with everything in design, SRT is clearly more focused on overall track performance.

Few powerfull cars with an independant suspension are void of hop, and if so probably have much smaller tires. Changing to the Motons give some of this compromise back with greater overall wheel control without any trade off in handling, but it does as everything in life come at a price.
The Polyurethane Engine & Trans Mounts that Woodhouse sells also help to lessen the wheelhop. Not a 100% cure, but definitely better.:2tu:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Let the tires heat up before accelerating briskly. In my past experince, cold tires can make wheel hop worse.

2. Ease into the throttle instead of punching the throttle.

3. If you do get wheel hop, the moment the wheel hop starts, back off. It is possible to snap a half shaft if you try to drive through it.

4. Read Mark J's posts above at least twice.

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe I'm nuts but I have no idea where you are but if the road is cold and you nail it there is going to be all kinds of wheel hop. The other day before we got another 6 inches of snow here today, it was about 55 degrees here and I took my 94 out. Got her all warmed up along with the brand new tires and decided to nail it in 1st. All the back end did was hop and I let off real quick. Road was obviosly cold.
Just a thought as to why you're experiencing the hop. :dunno:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that I've read that worn suspension bushings (along with any other looseness in the suspension) can affect wheel hop ?

How long (miles or years) do we expect out of OEM bushings ? From my limited search, I don't find that people are posting about replacing them much, yet.

SmokinViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gen II had wheel hop pretty bad. I heard that changing the engine and tranny mounts out for the stiffer ones from Woodhouse made a big difference, so I did that. In the process I found out that one of my engine mounts was cracked, the other was crumbling, and the tranny mount had lost it's keeper nut. It's a wonder the whole drivetrain stayed inside the car! With the new hardware in place, wheel hop is about 95% gone.

Warm 'em up, then light 'em up! :headbang:

OP
OP
S

steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, I have a 2008 Viper Convertible. I live In San Diego CA. Cold tires and cold roads are not a problem. But I make sure th tires are hot. The car only has 9000 miles on it. I should not have to spend money on mounts or suspention. You say the car is built for drag raceing. You want me to ease up on the take off. There goes the 0-60 time. It does not make any sense. I do thank you all for your input.

SmokinViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is suggesting that you should hold back on launch. I launch at 3000rpm with 0 wheel hop (now that my broken mounts are fixed, and with 3.55 gears). And you are certainly fair in your expectation that with only 9000 miles on it, the bushings and mounts should all be in good working order. These are things that do cause wheel hop if they're not fully sound.

The thing is, most of us don't have issues with wheel hop, if our equipment is in good order, tire pressures are right, we warm up the tires, and roll-on the throttle. So, we're trying to help you figure out what's different with yours.

The only other thing that I can think of to suggest that you check, is to get a full four-wheel alignment, including thrust angle. Maybe something got bumped out of spec. Cost you about $250 at your dealer, and if it works, it's money well spent because it'll improve your handling too. Bonus.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456