i pod use

SBMIANO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the 09's have the ability to use and I pod? I have the single disk nav system in it. If not how bout MP3's?

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The model name should be printed on the front of the headunit (really small).
If it says "RB1", there are iPod kits for it.

ALLEGEDLY, there's a new one out or coming out that works in conjunction with the other electronic goodies (UConnect, etc.).
No part number yet.

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The model name should be printed on the front of the headunit (really small).
If it says "RB1", there are iPod kits for it.

ALLEGEDLY, there's a new one out or coming out that works in conjunction with the other electronic goodies (UConnect, etc.).
No part number yet.

That would be better than the stone-age technology built in the current system!

OP
OP
S

SBMIANO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so my head unit says RB1 so where do I get this I pod conversion kit from Dodge?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
2008+ cars are sketchy at best when it comes to the iPod kits. Some work, some dont. The communication module for the Bus screws them up.

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found an option but you have to controll everything from your iPod/iPhone.

Herc

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of the after-market systems I've tried with my RB1 and RB4 have been complete garbage. Some features work; most don't. A couple of them showed up as bricks.

Here's a list of the Chrysler iPod systems:
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - iPod
You're going to need the newer version of p/n# 82209616AD since your RB1 probably has the CAN-BUS connector in the back (instead of the older J1580).

AFAIK, there's no Chrysler solution as of yet.
In Oct. 09, I was told "in the next month or so"....and we all know what that means. :D

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
All of the after-market systems I've tried with my RB1 and RB4 have been complete garbage. Some features work; most don't. A couple of them showed up as bricks.

Here's a list of the Chrysler iPod systems:
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - iPod
You're going to need the newer version of p/n# 82209616AD since your RB1 probably has the CAN-BUS connector in the back (instead of the older J1580).

AFAIK, there's no Chrysler solution as of yet.
In Oct. 09, I was told "in the next month or so"....and we all know what that means. :D

ALL RB-1's are J1850, not CAN. The 08-09 cars are a hybrid system, only the Engine and ORC are on CAN, and communicate with the PCI Bus via the Gateway Module.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
And there's no J1850 to Gateway adapter/Y-cable?

Any communication between the RB1 and its accessories would still be on the J1850 PCI bus. As such, the RB1 would require a J1850 iPod Kit. Unfortunately, this combination is sketchy, as the Gateway Module is unpredictable at times, and it clutters the system with erroroneous communications.

Keep in mind, accessories are indirectly on the bus in this case, since the RB1 is on the bus, but the iPod kit is indirectly attached THROUGH the RB1. It cannot be connected inbetween the nodes and function idependently.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, a better option would be a CAN-BUS Chrysler radio, of which not one will fit into the Viper's headunit space without severe modification to the dash.
While it might not get you everything, but it'd get you closer with the Gen.4. stuff.

Anyone else find it ironic that UConnect isn't an option in the fastest vehicle Dodge makes?
You'd think that at 200mph you'd want both hands on the wheel. :)

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan is right. I unfortunately know through the hard way. Was one of the of the first to try putting an Ipod adapter in my 08 Coupe. Dan and Chuck Tator spent some time on this. The Ipod adapter lit up my dash board like a Xmas Tree and nothing worked. Chuck saved the day eventually and got everything back to normal. Of course no Ipod.

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what is that option herc???

It's made by Simple.

1. Peripheral wired FM module $ 44.99
2. Ipod power and audio/vid for ipod 39.99
3. Antenna adapter x 2 23.98

The ipod hooks into a module that broadcasts over an FM freq which you tune to on
the RB1, it has an interrupter in-line on the antenna feed to block any outside inputs.
There is a switch, that I put in the console storage area that you turn on to activate
the interrupter, when the switch is on FM freq 89.9? only picks up your ipod broadcast.
I ran the ipod cable under the console and into the storage area also so I can leave
my iphone in the compartment with nothing showing or have it out to change songs.
A local car audio shop had all of the parts in stock and I installed them, a little work,
you have to remove the console and pull the RB1 but they would do it also. So far
it works great, down side is that you cannot operate the pod from the RB1.

Herc

p.s. The Hi-Fi shop here in Utah set me up, 801-774-5445, but I bet one of our VCA vendors could ops check this and put
together a kit including wire ties, wire splicers, lessons learned etc and offer it up.

Last edited:

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are tons of FM transmitters out there.
Unfortunately, they all sound like dogpoo.

This one does not come through the antenna, it is a direct input to the radio,
that is what the interrupter is for, so the ipod signal goes direct not over the
air.

Herc

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This one does not come through the antenna, it is a direct input to the radio,
that is what the interrupter is for, so the ipod signal goes direct not over the
air.

Herc
Sorry.
It sounds exactly like an FM transmitter setup.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So, a better option would be a CAN-BUS Chrysler radio, of which not one will fit into the Viper's headunit space without severe modification to the dash.
While it might not get you everything, but it'd get you closer with the Gen.4. stuff.

Anyone else find it ironic that UConnect isn't an option in the fastest vehicle Dodge makes?
You'd think that at 200mph you'd want both hands on the wheel. :)

Technically yes, though the problem is that CAN radios require a specific "ON" signal from the cars CAN bus. At this time, there does not appear to be a way to accomplish this. I have some ideas... but they are untested.

Fitment is a whole other issue...

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry.
It sounds exactly like an FM transmitter setup.

Really? I guess I am out of date, the only ones I have seen just hook up to a power
source and then broadcast on a freq you tune to without disconnecting the antenna
from the back of the radio. What do you use in your Viper? What year?

Herc

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really? I guess I am out of date, the only ones I have seen just hook up to a power
source and then broadcast on a freq you tune to without disconnecting the antenna
from the back of the radio. What do you use in your Viper? What year?

Herc
In my SRT-10, I don't use anything.
I've tried about 8 different aftermarket setups, none worked (with either the RB1 or the RB4).

I have UConnect, so it gets a little more complicated.
Many *claim* to work with that, but so far only the Mopar kits actually do.

My guess is that the delay on the new version of the 82208616 is caused by them working the CAN BUS issues out so it will work properly with the newer Viper cars.

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked at just putting in a new system but all of the install kits I found looked like crap dude to the
rounded opening. So far the Simple sounds as good as the Sat and I have had no interference yet.
A 21st century option would be nice.

Herc

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked at just putting in a new system but all of the install kits I found looked like crap dude to the
rounded opening. So far the Simple sounds as good as the Sat and I have had no interference yet.
A 21st century option would be nice.

Herc

I have the uConnect in my Challenger and its a great system. Hands free, voice recognition, USB connection, etc. Isn't it amazing what a POS they put in their $100K cars?
Sure wish somebody would offer an option that works in Gen IV cars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc