Shift Light Installation

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so I know the SRTs have this stupid little up arrow (the skip shift arrow) that turns red when you are supposed to shift but it is virtually invisible when you are on track. I have a supercharged 06 and it builds RPMs quickly so I'd love to have a brighter, larger shift light. I have searched and came up with only one thread on this topic but it did not really explain where and how to hook a shift light up.

Has anyone put a shift light into their SRT? If so, exactly how and where did you wire it in? Details would be helpful, pics would be awesome. Thanks!

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been using the Raptor for 4 years, no problems

mrnycguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper R

what connections did you use to install the raptor

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just used the search, it calls for using any of the coil wires from pcm,

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeh I looooved my raptor shift light, had one in my other track car and it was awsome...you could set what rpm's you wanted it to go off, I mounted it on the left side there was no way to miss the flash pretty much anywhere it was mounted.

had this bookmarked, might help on the install.

Raptor Performance-Install Info

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scroll to the bottom of this page,...."Similar Threads"

V
V
V
V
V

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I removed the passenger seat belt light. Installed blue Raptor...

881.jpg

Konza800

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the same problem seeing the little arrow so I installed a shift light in an A-pillar pod. I found the single pod at AutoZone and used a heat gun to soften it so I could form it to the pillar trim. The shift light is an Autometer programmable light and has the digital tach display as well. It is plenty bright and I can see it even in bright daylight without taking my eyes off of the road.

shift_light.JPG

1MEANASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Had An '06 And Put In A Autometer Digital Pro Shift Lite . The Wire For The Tach Was Wired To The Gray/black Color Of The Pcm - Pin 31. I Had To Drill Out The Plastic To Insert The Wire. The Red Wire Went To Power, The Black To Ground. Also I Had To Set Pulse Per Revolution. I Can't Remember Which One I Used. But I Toggled Thru Them Till The Digital Readout Matched The Cars Tach. With This Tach You Can See Digital Rpms And Set The Shift Lite To Whatever Rpm You Want, Also In Any Of Seven Colors. Hope This Helps.

OP
OP
V

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Konza800 nice install!

1MeanAsp, thanks for the info on wire connections. I checked the shop manual section 8W and it says the coil leads are Dark Blue with a tracing stripe. Stripe color varies for each of the five coils. (There are two coil packs under the intake manifold, one has two coils in it and the other three). I will check the shop manual to see what the wire you used is for. I've ordered the Raptor light because I like its size but the Autometer light with the digital RPM readout is really nice.

OP
OP
V

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1MeanAsp,

Can't find what the Black/Gray wire is used for. There is a reference for a black/gray wire connection somehow linked to Connector C3 off the PCM but I cannot for the life of me find what it is for or where it comes from or goes to.

The connector chart does not have the Black/Gray wire listed as going to any PIN in the PCM C3 connector or to any of the other connectors for the PCM (C1 & C2). PIN 31 on the C1 connector is black with an orange stripe and is noted as a ground. PIN 31 on the C2 connector is brown with a pink stripe and is noted as a 5V supply. PIN 31 on the C3 connector is not used according the shop manual.

Given this I believe I will tap into one of the coil driver wires on the C1 connector, PINS 1,3,5,7 or 9. Wires for coils 2-5 are all dark blue with either white, orange, yellow, or tan stripes. The wire for coil 1 (PIN 7) is dark green with a dark blue stripe. If I tap one of these wires for the feed to the Raptor and then set the Raptor for 2 cylinder operation (since one coil wire triggers two cylinders), I should be ok. When my Raptor comes and I get it installed I will post my findings.

Konza800

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gbatejan, I also wired to one of the coil drivers (pin 7, C1). My Autometer light required the number of pulses per revolution to be programmed which is 1 ppr due to the waste spark system. So if on the Raptor light you program the number of cylinders rather than ppr then yes, it would be 2 cylinders. That said, I have no idea how the Raptor light is programmed, what parameters it requires, or if it compensates for the waste spark in another way. It sounds like you understand everything so I am sure you will figure it out no problem.

1MEANASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about the confusion. There are 3 modules for the PCM if looking at the engine bay from the front they are on the drivers side just behind the headlite they are different colors The one I used the housing is colored black and grey not the wires I think it was the one closes to the headlite. And I just put my tach wire into pin 31

OP
OP
V

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
go to Shift Lights by Raptor Performance and it gives you a tep by step install and what wires you need to hook up to

Thanks I had previously looked at their installation instructions but they don't cover 2005 and beyond. Wire colors are different but the general idea is the same, ie. hook up light to one of the coil driver wires and then set Raptor for 2 cylinder mode.

Konza800

Viper Owner
Reaction score
UPDATE:
I started logging certain engine parameters including RPM with the Inovate DL32. I noticed that the RPM was not a smooth curve as I expected but looked like it had noise on the signal. I started doing a little digging and found out that the Autometer shift light and the datalogger calculate RPM differently. The Autometer counts pulses and divides by time to get the RPM while the datalogger measures the time between pulses to calculate the RPM. I looks like my spark pulses are not evenly spaced which causes the datalogger to calculate different RPMs at different times.

At any rate, I decided to try to find the tach signal from the PCM that 1MEANASP mentions. I could not find any word of it in the 2006 service manual and the pinouts for the 3 PCM connectors do not show it. In fact, C1 pin 31 is ground, C2 pin 31 is 5v, and C3 pin 31 is blank in the manual. So I figure if the tach signal really exists it must be on C3 pin 31 (C3 is the connector closest to the headlight). I unplug the C3 connector and find that there is no contact inserted in location 31 so I have to find a pin connector, solder a wire to it and, and insert it into the #31 location. I reattach the connector the PCM, hook up the new wire to the data logger , and bingo - I have a tach signal!

I expected to find 1 pulse for each cylinder every two revolutions (5 pulses per revolution) but for some reason, the tach signal outputs 2.5 pulses per revolution. This means that if you use this signal you need to program your shift light to 2.5 ppr or select the 5 cylinder 4 cycle engine option. :dunno:

My RPM curve as recorded by the datalogger is now very smooth just like I expected it to be. :2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfal0003