Targa Bambina Road Rally

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We all got notifications of the Western Canada Targa event. Craig hinted at the rally last summer and now there is informtion, rules and regulations. Dates and contact numbers are also available.

I'm going! I've spoken to a couple others that are also planning to attend. There is a large discount for early registration.

http://www.targacanadawest.com/images/stories/bambina_forms/tcw-bambina-rules-regulations.pdf

I've contacted Duane about writing a story and participating in this Kelowna event. He seemed excited about a story and Vipers competeing in the spring Rally.

Class 1 is stock and not much is needed.

Class 2 requires a fire suit and a few other items.

I'm planning on 4 or 5 and contemplating installing a (bolt-in)roll bar, seatbelt harnesses, tow hooks and an extra fire extinguisher. There is some previous competition activity required, but VCA club activity may be all you need?

Ou cars were built for this type of competition and after the Wstrn Cda kicks asp at this rally we can sign up for the Silvber State Road Rally (I think most of us are good to compete in the 105mph class in Nevada?).

This is the area where Viper's are the best! The idea reminds me of when Doiuglas French arranged the Revelstoke Rally which was Fantastic!

It shouldn't be too difficult for one of our members to host a dinner party and evening lounge at a Motel that weekend if we have enough members planning to attend.

Ted

Mission Won

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This sounds like a lot of super fun...

I m thinking of class 2 for my conv since I think class 3 "open cockpit" requires a cage

Norm

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You still need seat belt harnesses and fire suits though.

Ted

Mission Won

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ted
the belts I already have and the flame suit I ll get this month, since I signed up for the SCCBC racing course. So your in??

Norm

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Barring unnforseen circumstances I'm definitely in. I took the CSSCA HPDE with JonB last year and competed in various VCA events so I'm qualified for their license.

Not sure what I'm 'in' (which Viper, Stealth TT?) but I planned to buy firepants and harnesses. I'm talking with another GTS guy about co-driver and probably use his GTS (mine's too violent). I think that we're both good for the faster class, but we havn't finished the stuff yet. If he can't make it I'll maybe need to find a navigator and an extra firesuit. Co-driver of Navigator is required(?). I could probably convince Deana to go, but she's not passionately trying to get into the passenger seat so far.

Norm did you check out the Knox Hill Climb? The guy I emailed sent back some stuff that my car would need full safety equipment, cage, etc. so I emailed him back, asked about the TT Stealth and he didn't reply. That is on the weekend the day before the Bambina Rally and if you read my Revelsoke Rally in VM, that was my best car experience (other than half of an 8 sec drag run) so far in life.

Have you got a co-driver/navigator lined up?

Ted

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This sounds like a lot of super fun...

I m thinking of class 2 for my conv since I think class 3 "open cockpit" requires a cage

Norm

E) Roll Over Protection
Roll over protection varies between open and closed cockpit vehicles.
Open Coc kpit Vehicles
An open cockpit vehicle is defined as one with no roof, a removable hard top or a soft top roof over the crew
compartment.
Closed Vehicles
A closed vehicle is defined as one with a hard roof that is a fixed and permanent part of the body and/or
frame of the vehicle. Depending upon specification, some Targa top and T-top vehicles will also be regarded
as Open Cockpit. Vehicles with T‑Roof or Targa roof will be considered closed cockpit as long as all roof
panels are of a rigid “non shatter” material, and are installed and appropriately secured.
See also Section B on Exterior for Sunroofs
All Roll over protection shall be subject to the approval of Chief Scrutineer at Technical inspection.
Contact TCW Technical Director [email protected] PRIOR to the Event to obtain PROVISIONAL
approval of cages and roll bars/hoops.
Class 1
No Roll Over Protection required, for closed cars. Roll-bar/hoop required for Open cars, (some OEM systems
accepted, please inquire).
Class 2
No Roll Over Protection required, for closed cars. Roll-bar/hoop required for Open cars, (some OEM systems
accepted, please inquire).
Class 3
• Closed cars Roll bar/hoop required as a minimum.
• Open cockpit cars must conform with Class 4 requirements
Classes 4
Requires a six-point cage at a minimum.
========================================================
I thought I was good for Class 4 without a bar-

Gonna need to make a list. First Aid kit, Spill kit, 3 triangles, make tow loops and carry tow rope, etc.

Ted

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg Weflen said he might enter.

Ted

Is this thing still a "go"? Guess I'd better look into it, then!;) Maybe you still need a navigator?
If you're planning on class 5, do you have a comp. licence of some sort?
I notice on the licencing requirements and accepted list of comp. licences that PCA and BMWCA seem to have thier own licences? Why in the world wouldn't the VCA!?

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
http://www.targacanadawest.com/images/stories/bambina_forms/tcw-bambina-rules-regulations.pdf

Class 3 probably. Need hoop for class 4 and 6 pt cage for Class 5.

I agree, VCA comp licenses! Yah! I've got the HPDE course and VCA event experience so far. This Targa nets a comp license (not sure if it qualifies for BCSCC comp license or not. I wanted the license to compete at the Silver State. Now it looks like you have to do race school before SS Rally, even if you have a comp license?

The Revelstoke Mtn Rally was the most fun I've had in a car (well recently anyway) so the Targa Rally should be a blast. More expensive than a HPDE, but it's on the public roads!

Ted

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Targa Bambino Rally CANCELLED! I just bought a pair of seat belt harnesses and a pair of firepants to go with my Kevlar firejacket. I bought a road kit that came with tow rope, triangle, Nitrile gloves, tools, etc. and a oil soaker sheet to run this rally and it's been cancelled!

Hard to believe that the city councils of Kelowna and the Okanagan area voted against it and the Prov gov said that everything was OK, except that the Rally didn't have enough community support so it had to be cancelled.

Too mmany Tourists in the Okanagan in May so the city councils don't want the extra thousand tourists? Stupid Politiicans. Guess they obviously have no care for the Hotel, restaurant or any other tourist business that they feel the Rally should be held somewhere else? The Okanagan is the only place that has too many Tourists?

Targa Canada West should stage the Rally along Highway 20 towards Nimpo Lake. It's an awesome highway for a Rally.

Stupid Politicians! Guess some of us will be forced to take our money to Nevada to compete in their Rally. The Silver State Classic. I think the Provincial Governments should donate all the financial costs of Rallying to a few of us to represent the Canadian Political Retards.

Ted

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm soooo PISSED. Lousy government. City councillors must all be ********. "Not a Green event"? Wonder if that idiot has ever been to Thunder Mtn dragway? All that tiresmoke and blown methanol engines could be considered "Not Green", but a road rally? Most preferred cars are 4 bangers and there is no tire smoke allowed.

Someone told me that if you have less than a 50 IQ it really helps to become a Politician. Now Canadians have to go to Newfounland or Nevada to road rally?

Ted