Oil change questions

yebvas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2005 SRT 10. Going to change oil and filter. Stupid question: Dry sump or wet? What torque should I use on the drain bolt? Is this a straight forward operation or are there caveats I should know about? I have a shop manual, but it is basically worthless. It might as well be written in Klingon.

yebvas

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just make sure you have the right filter, (several fit)

torque is standard 25-30 ft/lbs (pretty sure)

very straight forward on all generations

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure the old oil filter gasket comes off with the old oil filter and doesn't stick to the engine....

Don't ask me how I know this....

"SRT" oil filters are available at the Mopar counter (dealer). They are cheaper than the K&N/Mobile1 filters at AutoZone. SRT Engineers say they are a synthetic fiber made for increased flow.

Good luck - make sure the old gasket comes off with the oil filter....

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also use the search feature here, it does have a lot of info in it.

welcome to here !!!

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know how you know this...
You are not alone :)

From the time I noticed the flow from underneath the car going down the drive way to the time I got the filter installed w/o the redundant gasket.....I had to add 8 qts to bring it to the correct level. How many qts for you?

There's still a mark in the driveway - soap, pressure washer...rinse & repeat - it won't go away! It just sits there, laughing at me...

...see you at the next meeting - these support groups help me make it from day to day :lmao:

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No quarts added. I caught it really quick. I don't recall what I was testing but I had the car up and I started it in the garage. Saw a bit of oil and knew something was wrong.

From the time I noticed the flow from underneath the car going down the drive way to the time I got the filter installed w/o the redundant gasket.....I had to add 8 qts to bring it to the correct level. How many qts for you?

There's still a mark in the driveway - soap, pressure washer...rinse & repeat - it won't go away! It just sits there, laughing at me...

...see you at the next meeting - these support groups help me make it from day to day :lmao:

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome yebvas!
Time to upgrade your status here [owner/VCA Member]. :cool:

1> Wet - 11qts W/filter
2> 25 ft lbs - Page 9-21
3> MOPAR oil filter #5037836AA [I have in stock]
4> "It might as well be written in Klingon." nID tlhIH ghap yap HoD!
Loosely translated: "Try your other brain captain!" :smirk:

Tech line & parts: 914-763-3136

Viper World

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper