Why multiple threads?

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been a member here for just over a year and this is my first forum. I would like to understand why there is a need to post multiple threads that say the exact same thing.

When I log onto the VCA website, I have my shortcut take me directly to the forums. I peruse the 'Latest Threads' and sometimes jump in there. The majority of the time I hit the 'New Posts' button and start scanning for threads/posts that are interesting to me.

For example today, that gave me 7 threads titled...PartsRack/VCA Ohio Banner - Auction for Haiti Relief.

How do others use the site? Do some of you only go to your Regional Forum (seems like you would be missing out on a lot of great info/stuff)?

It seems to me that multiple threads get very confusing especially when there are conversations going on in multiple ones. I know there are perceived reasons for multiple threads...like events in Texas...they have 3 Regional forums, so the yearly 'Round Up' thread ends up in all 3 and some others. Would the event info get missed by some Texans if it were only in the Regional forum where it is actually taking place?

Would forum members have missed the Ohio auction if it were only in the Ohio Regional forum? If I read the thread correctly, the auction is only open to VCA members, so guests wouldn't really need access to post in the thread...if they did, the guest could just start a thread about it with questions in the General Viper Discussion forum.

I know that non-members can't post in the Regional forums and a few more, so having a thread duplicated in the Regional forum and maybe the General Viper Discussion forum would have merit.

I have taken it upon myself to keep the Colorado Region forum current for our events, but I only post them in that forum. I was wondering if it is necessary to include our event info somewhere else...I don't currently see the need.

What am I missing here :dunno:?

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Darn good question. I've wondered about the same thing. Even our National Officers sometimes post a single thread many times in many different forums. Never made sense to me. It seems you can miss some important posts this way since a poster usually does not replicate his/her post in every duplicate thread.

Reaction score
SPAM.... OVER EXPOSURE, but I have been known to do it also, going to stop that also since I fully agree this is the best way to search the forums. :2tu:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are 2 issues. 1 is the multiple posing of the exact same topic (and thread) in multiple forum areas. The other is virtually identical topic being discussed in multiple places. If you notify a moderator regarding the latter, we'll take a look and consider locking one (or several) with a link over to the other identical thread.

The multiple exact same post issue is up to the poster. As Mark's admitted, in an effort to reach everyone (or the most forum members possible) sometimes a poster will make multiple identical posts in several forum areas. I'd imagine that such a poster would fear missing some members. It can be annoying at times, but I haven't seen it too often.

If it's bothersome to anyone, just "report" one of the posts and we can deal with it.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
People get enthusiastic about what's going on and will post duplicate threads in multiple forums.

When the mods see that happening they will determine which forum is the most appropriate and consolidate the posts into a single thread. It's one of the things they do to keep things orderly and well maintained on the site. So don't be surprised or get bent if a duplicate thread you posted on is moved. It's not deleted, just moved or consolidated with another one. Often, people help out the mods and let them know when something needs their attention because the sooner it gets their attention the less work it is for them to reorganize it.

When duplicate posts in multiple forums are made by National Officers they are announcing National Club Business.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some people will only visit one or two areas of the website. I believe the idea of multiple posting is to get the word out to as many people as possible.

OP
OP
LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some people will only visit one or two areas of the website. I believe the idea of multiple posting is to get the word out to as many people as possible.

Do you only visit one or two areas? Who are these 'some people'? Maybe they need to cruise around the site a bit more. What I'm saying is why inconvenience the vast majority for the benefit of the vast minority?

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score

THANK YOU! That is exactly the reason I posted in the multiple forums. Just trying to get the word out as this auction is available to all VCA members. Moderators, sorry for the problem and thanks for routing it to the Ohio forum.

Randall Arnold
President VCA Ohio Region

OP
OP
LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THANK YOU! That is exactly the reason I posted in the multiple forums. Just trying to get the word out as this auction is available to all VCA members. Moderators, sorry for the problem and thanks for routing it to the Ohio forum.

Randall Arnold

I'm still trying to find out who these people are...maybe they don't exist :smirk:. It seems to me that word to all VCA members would be done by using the VCA Members Only forum :dunno:.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you only visit one or two areas? Who are these 'some people'? Maybe they need to cruise around the site a bit more. What I'm saying is why inconvenience the vast majority for the benefit of the vast minority?

No, but I freely admit I am a Viper *****....................:D:D

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are 2 issues. 1 is the multiple posing of the exact same topic (and thread) in multiple forum areas. The other is virtually identical topic being discussed in multiple places. If you notify a moderator regarding the latter, we'll take a look and consider locking one (or several) with a link over to the other identical thread.

Right i dont mind someone posting something in multiple areas TEMPORARILY to get the word out for something important. And LOCKING all but one with all the other linking to the One master would make sense. Great idea!

Issue#2 is where someone starts a new thread for something that has already been discussed thoroughly or something that has been case closed resolved. Yet people continue to discuss in a new thread parallel to the umteen others on the same topic. I dont mind noobs asking a question that has been answered a gazillion times. Everyone has gotta start somewhere and some cant figure out how to search or simply dont know the viper jargon keywords to search with.
With these repetitive threads / common questions, i think moderators should post a link to a thread previously started and close the new thread to re-direct the OP. after 36hrs(enough time for the OP to figure out what is going on) the new thread can be Deleted.

This would leave All info on a Specific topic in ONE ongoing thread. and im Only talking about very specific topics.

I would personally volunteer to be a moderator to solely deal with this issue:2tu: Just tell me where to sign up.

This goes along the same lines as a question i asked our moderators some time ago, but never got a response:
http://forums.viperclub.org/board-s...rging-threads-why-dont-our-moderators-do.html

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great for us. Bad for the mods if they have lives.

simple solution, more moderators with specified jobs.

It would only take someone like me or you a few seconds to search for threads with our extensive knowledge of the viper jargon and lock the op's thread redirecting him. We already partly to do this. Why not follow through.

I dont want/need permission to do all the other crap i just want to be able to tell someone; Hey, your answer is Here, Check it out! and then once he gets the message having the power to lock and delete his thread so all of this parallel cap dosnt happen.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am guilty of the same thing, When I learn something new or have a post worth mentioning to all the VCA, I am not going to just post it on the Nebraska subchapter thread, however I want to post it on that thread too to show that there is activity on a local forum.

Bruce

V

Venomiss

simple solution, more moderators with specified jobs.

It would only take someone like me or you a few seconds to search for threads with our extensive knowledge of the viper jargon and lock the op's thread redirecting him. We already partly to do this. Why not follow through.

I dont want/need permission to do all the other crap i just want to be able to tell someone; Hey, your answer is Here, Check it out! and then once he gets the message having the power to lock and delete his thread so all of this parallel cap dosnt happen.

The mods do a pretty good job as it is. Be sure and thank them when you get a chance.
Threads mentioned in the first post were changed within the hour after it was posted. A simple PM from you to one of the moderators including a link would be the best solution. Gives them the information and the moderators make the decision and change.
They are many here who help by doing just that.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, Where can i find a list of our moderators to thank em?

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the the other mods and I try as best we can to manage all the threads. Someone mentioned pm'ing one of us if you see one, THAT would be great.

The other side of it is when someone posts multiple threads, then we spend multiple pm's explaining why we had to merge them. It's a challenge but we try our best to stay on top of it.

OP
OP
LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Randall Arnold

This is the attitude that I'm questioning...the whole just wanted to reach 'as many people as possible'...are multiple threads needed :confused:. I haven't been convinced and there hasn't been a single logical reason given for multiple threads.

The mods have made it clear that they do their best to clean them up when possible, but that truly wasn't the reason I started this thread...I was questioning the need for multiple identical threads being started.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score