Cant decide between a SRT-10, or a Gen II

Threesixes

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey all,

I plan on buying a used viper in the next few months here, but am having a hard time deciding what year to get. I had planned on getting a 99 GTS or RT-10 priced in the upper $30K - lower $40K range. I wanted a 99 because I like the bigger wheels, and the little vents on the hood, plus I wanted the forged internals because I'll probably put a nitrous kit on it for an occasional track day. I dont want a highly modded car that sees a lot of track time and that definately wont be the main purpose of the car.(My last car was a 99 Firebird LS1 with a racing heads,mild cam, and a little 150 shot through stock exhaust manifolds and cats that went 10.8x in the 1/4 mile.Sound and drivability were close to stock.)

Lately Ive been seeing 03-05 SRT-10 roadsters falling into that price range and I'm starting to consider them instead. The main reason is that my credit union is going to like financing the newer car better and I'll end up with a better rate, and a lower payment, yet a newer car.

I havent seen any of the newer vipers up close or in person, but from the pictures I see, they dont look as exotic as the gen II's. I like the exotic look and dont want a car that looks common like a corvette. Its hard to tell from pictures, and I rarely see a viper driving around town. I used to think the RT-10s were ugly until I saw a 99 up close, and now I love them.

I guess what I really want to know, is what are the positives of an 03-05 vs a 99? What has been improved? Do you think the newer vipers are as exotic looking as the older ones? Whats the power difference if any, and what do stock gen IIs and 03-05 srt-10s typically run in a quarter mile? Im assuming even without the forged internals the viper v-10 wouldnt have a problem with a small 100-150hp shot of nitrous, but correct me if Im wrong.

Thanks in advance for your help.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do a search here, there is a lot of info on this exact stuff. best thing to do is go meet a few viper owners, sit in the car and see the differences.

where ya from ?

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A GenII will get you the classic Viper shape that is unmistakable. Elegant yet exotic.

The GenIII get you a more "refined" car and more horsepower. Doesn't stand out in a crowd as much in my opinion.

These are just a couple of many, many, points to consider. In the end get what YOU want and you will never regret it.

OP
OP
T

Threesixes

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I live in the CA bay area. Yeah I kind of wish there were more vipers around, so I could just drive around and find one to compare , but that would kind of ruin it, lol.

Is funny, because a few months ago the plan was to get either a viper or a vette, but after checking out a black 99 GTS and black 99 RT-10 side by side at Star-City Motors the vette is OUT of the question, haha. It doesnt even compare looks-wise to the viper. At that time I thought the RT-10's were ugly. Now I cant decide if I want one over the GTS. That just goes to show that looking at pictures isnt the way to look for a car. The SRT-10 might might be the better looking car to me for all I know.

V

Venomiss

I live in the CA bay area. Yeah I kind of wish there were more vipers around, so I could just drive around and find one to compare , but that would kind of ruin it, lol.

Is funny, because a few months ago the plan was to get either a viper or a vette, but after checking out a black 99 GTS and black 99 RT-10 side by side at Star-City Motors the vette is OUT of the question, haha. It doesnt even compare looks-wise to the viper. At that time I thought the RT-10's were ugly. Now I cant decide if I want one over the GTS. That just goes to show that looking at pictures isnt the way to look for a car. The SRT-10 might might be the better looking car to me for all I know.
A little help from your area.

Northern California VCA
Try and see if you can attend a meeting and ask away.

rede2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny thing is i almost posted the same thing this morning about should i invest in a gts or an srt10 coupe cause i wanted a car that would hold its value and what would look better 10 years from now cause i plan to have it for a LONG time. I thought i would get ripped apart cause i read posts similar to it. Thing is i think we like to read it over and over again me being a noobie i like to hear an expert or someone that knows the car up and down give me their own input. Guys at work know i want the viper and i gotta hear their input and most of it is their own opinion but its nothing i would agree with. 90% of them would take a vette over a viper so what does that tell you. I come on this website all the time and i dont have a viper but hopefully will by the summer.(GUYS PLEASE FORGIVE US NOOBIES FOR ASKING THE SAME QUESTION I GUESS WE WANT TO MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION EVEN THOUGH ITS POSTED A 100 TIMES)

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are here to help! :) Threesixes....From the sound of things I think you want to get a Gen II. IMO I think the GEN II is the best looking of the four generations. As an owner of a GEN II and GEN IV this is where it gets tricky. The performance of the GEN IV is outstanding for a factory car. Far above the GEN II. Now I know you were asking about the GEN III and IMO the only difference I think you would notice in performance would be brakes. The brakes on the GEN III are far better and also they are ABS. THE '99 GEN II's don't have ABS. So I would say go with the GEN II
rede2go...No problems. We are here to help!!!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GTS was designed and built for GT/Lemans racing. It's a hardtop and the rear end has a completely different look than a vert. The GTS is a hardtop and can race at the track without a rollbar to 11.5. Vert needs a roll bar to go 13s. Road racing, rally, hill climb etc is kinda similar on rollbar/hope and cage being mandatory for open cars. GTS hatchback/hardtop is 4mph faster top speed. rated 450hp.

Gen 2 has rear exhaust and sounds fantastic! Forged piston engines like to be supercharged and outperform 2000 and up engines for hp. Clamshell hood is worth about $30,000 new from Chrylser.

Gen 3 didn't build a coupe until 2006 only. Rated 510hp, came with ABS brakes (14") but, unfortunately also came equipped with Runcrap tires.

Gen 3 hood can be replaced for about $1300. Kinda like a vette. The massive scalloped sides of the Viper became scoops (like the vette) and the gauge and dashboard layouts are different.

To each his own. I love my Gen 2 and wouldn't trade it for a Gen3 unless the Gen 3 had triple the amount of money into it that my car has invested. If the viper was only a roadster and no hardtops were built, I'd never have bought one, but they did build a race/highway car that has double the cargo space of an RT10 so I bought the GTS and will "live happily forever after?" I can load the two suitcases and the 2 bags my wife insists we take every highway trip. If you never actually drive the car and don't ever leave town then most of the reasons I bought my Gen 2 GTS don't matter much. But, if you've ever been passed by a Z06 then you want a sc'd Gen 2 that will drive 6,000mile trips and run mid 10s in street trim and stock tires. Oh yah, 750+rwhp, 20mph and 50,000 miles.

Ted

PS.

The above post says no ABS brakes on Gen 2 - ABS brakes come to the Vipers in 2001. 14" rotors came to Vipers in 2003. I have lighweight (like 09 ACR) 14" RoeRacing brakes on my 2001 ABS car. $2K and a couple hours to upgrade.

Ted

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey man..just thought I would share a little info based on my experiences.

I came from LT1 and LS1 Fbodies, to C5 and C6 Vettes, and had planned on getting a GTS. Of course, like everyone, I was drawn to the look first. Like I've said before, I really think its going to be "the" car of this era, when we're all old looking back in time. But, once I drove the Gen III Vert(I've got a soft spot for Verts), I was hooked.

I'm sure I'll get killed for admitting this, but coming from the C6, I just wasn't impressed with the build quality, fit/finish, interior layout etc of the Gen IIs. I was also drawn to the modern exterior design of the Gen III, and although the look isnt as original as the GTS, it's unmistakenly a Viper.

Factor in other options like financing, future parts availability, having the "newest model"(only Viper guys know the 08 hood difference)...it just all added up to a Gen III for me.

In all honesty, try and get hooked up with some local VCA guys...while you probably won't be able to get behind the wheel, you'll find that we all love to show off/educate about our cars, and you'll be able to make the best decision FOR YOU, with no regrets!

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is this going to be your daily driver or not? A lot of the current and past owners of both a Gen II and III model will have a lot of input for you if you plan to drive it daily.

G/L with your decision!

P.S. Make sure you check out the forums at viperalley too, er...just make sure you read before you post over there first

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it is more important to get the better lookin' Viper. Get the GTS.

If it is more important to get the better performing Viper. Get the SRT

Old School = GTS
Better engineered = SRT

Both share the Viper DNA. Both are fantastic fun to drive.

Hard to go wrong with either one.

OP
OP
T

Threesixes

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I really appreciate everyones opinions and insight. I'm trying to learn as much as I can. To answer Dr.Taco's question, No, it wont be a daily driver. It will be a toy to cruise around in on weekends, spend too much time washing and polishing, and to take it to the dragstrip once or twice a year for a grudge night or something. I would like to try autocross/road racing too eventually. That has to be a blast. Thanks RTTTTed, for the roll cage reminder,thats something to consider. On that subject, do the (roll loops?) behind the seats on the Gen III satisfy any requirements? I read a thread on here saying that it was OK at thunderhill, but Im not sure if that was for a specific event or what.

Im not lazy, I have been and continue to search on forums like here and viper alley to learn what I can before I buy. I know theres going to be pros and cons either way. This forum is a great resource, so once again, thanks you guys.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "roll hoops" that you asked about do NOT satisfy most track regulations for rollover protection.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The rules usually require that a roll bar (6 point) also requires a 5 or 6 point seat belt(s). I trying to get all my 'stuff' together for a Wstrn Cda TARGA Road Rally. They seem to be OK. Roll bar (4 point) and 2 sets of 5 pt. seat belts, 2 snell helmets, 2 fire suits and 2 5# fire extinguishers. I received HPDE from JonB and have done several VCA club competitions so I can run several classes in the Road Rally. Trying to enter the Knox Hill Climb as well and my car seems to require a full cage etc. because the supercharger puts me into a race car class.

Although the GTS is much stiffer than the vert and the GTS structure is much stiffer than nearly every car made, the sanctioning bodies give no 'special' consideration to our cars being superior with the tube frame etc.

I head-on'd a Semi with my 98 GTS (with runcrap tires) when it hydroplaned and didn't even get bruised. I thank the way the Viper was built for our safety. After every convertible I owned got the roof slashed and my car robbed I really hate 'verts. A gen 3 coupe would be OK to me. I am currently waiting for a "screaming deal" on another GTS because I do plan to wear out a couple of them. I like mods and the Gen 2s are scienced out the best for trouble free modifications like the Roe Supercharger system. Newest news is that the Roe supercharger kit can be upgraded from a 2.4L blower to a 2.8L and very soon a 3.6L blower will be available. Life is good.

AS said earlier, pick the one that makes your heart pound in your chest. Then add Bluetooth, PS2 tires, lighweight wheels, Corsa exahust, brakes or whatever else will make that Viper into the ULTIMATE CAR that makes YOU happy.

By the way, the fit and finish between nearly all Vipers is similar. Same car, same plant (except the Gen 1s) although Dodge did offer Connelly interiors if you want a higher dollar option. 'Leslie' owns an 01 GTS and has the interior in hers. Leslie is a Moderator here and a HP Driving Instructor and could offer you road racing advice if you PM her. She owns an 01 GTS Sapphire/silver.

Ted

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talking from experience DO NOT get a vert if you want to track it unless you go the full 10 yards , soup to nuts, and make it legal (roll cage, 5 pt harness etc). My opinion is to get an '06 coupe (you can find them in the low-mid 40's) and mod it. BTW any Viper looks exotic and will turn heads!

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy what you like (and in the color you like), otherwise you'll always regret it... And regret is damn powerful thing!

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought my first Viper... a 98 GTS... I've wanted a Viper since they first came out based on the original RT/10 cars... I still love the RT/10s but love the GTS even more... When I got serious about buying one I couldn't help but look at some of the really nice reasonably priced 03-05 verts. I also had a chance to look at an 06 coupe owned by someone selling an RT/10 and one or two at a dealer. The 06 coupes look very similar to a GTS and even better in some respects.

When all was said and done I stuck to the original charter because I felt that the earlier cars have more of a vintage look. The clamshell hood and the raw character of the car was really what I was after. In my search I spoke to a few people that sold earlier Vipers and traded up to Gen3s and Gen4s and they wished they had kept their older Vipers. They didn't regret buying the newer car but would have liked to have kept the older car too.

I've only had my GTS a month or so and it's only been out 3 or 4 times and every single time someone has said to me... "do they still even make Vipers" The lady that cleans my house saw it for the first time in the garage the other day and she even said that...

The newer cars apparently are better designed and built and perform better but what I'm finding is that people identify more with the earlier cars.

At this point I can see myself owning both a GTS and RT/10 someday...

Last edited:

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a GenII and bolt a Paxton on it. The style will never get old! If you do go with a GenIII make sure to get a hard top for it. Makes it look sooooo much better! Either way you can not go wrong with either! Good luck~

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive had a 99 rt10 and currently have a 2003 srt10...Have a close friend with a red GTS and another who had a red GTS ACR...

GTS vs RT10....The GTS looks nicer...But the RT10 with it's top off is very out of this world looking....Just not elegant like the GTS..

GTS vs SRT10.....To me the SRT10 looks nicer...But it depends on what kind of person you are...Some guys day dream about Cobras and old school vettes and old school stangs/maros...And care little for the newer cars..

Some guys day dream about f430's and Audi R8's and care little about the old school cars..

I my self fall into this catergory....To me the nicer fit and finish plus nicer interior and even lil tid bits like the push button start make me think of the SRT10 as a car I would compare to modern day Ferraris ect.

When I think of my old RT10 I think more of a car I would compare the big block muscle cars ect. Why I feel that way?????I guess to me 1996 was a long time ago....And technology has advanced so much that I just consider the GTS/RT10...Old School them selves...And that dosent put a smile on my face the way it will for people who really fall into that first catergory...

The SRT10 has long straight lines at crazy angles and a very wide stance..Their are no wide fender flares or extra buldges as in the C6Z906..The car simply put is a wide body from the factory.....Pictures can never catch this correctly IMHO..The pictures make the car look flat...The angles are all body colored and dont come through in pics..Even the hood strates on the 03-06 hoods are barely noticable in pictures..

But when you see one in real life you notice how low and wide the car sits..You notice how the exterior panals by the door sit out 4 inchers further than the rest of the car...And you could actually hide your fist under that long angle by the doors..But in pictures it looks no deeper than the ones found on a C6Vette that are only a inch..

That fabric top that in pictures seems a lil boreing compared to the hard tops......Is really beautiful when really seen..the top it's self is much lower than any fabric top you'll see on S2000's or vettes..As well that wide body seems to wrap around the top...You could literally sit a coke can on just about any exterior surface surrounding the soft top....

I could equally go on and on about the GTS...But I dont have to...The GTS relies on curves..Lots of curves..No sharp angles to be found..As well the GTS isnt exceptionaly wide like the SRT10 and dosent have to rely on this in pictures...The curves get the job done nicely...

With that said..I still prefer the SRT10..Just somthing about a wide exotic car that makes me feel fuzzy inside...

As far as power....Despite what some belieave and say..Ive owneed both and raced both..The SRT10 is faster....No your only alking 2 mph faster..But never the less faster..

Lets say you were a very experianced drag racer..Best of the best..At a great track with great prep and great weather...

I belieave you would run the following...

GTS/RT10 (non ACR)

60 foot 1.8
11.7 at 121 mph

SRT10

60 foot 1.9
11.6 at 123 mph

THATS HOW CLOSE IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But this is only the 1/4 mile...The SRT10 is a bit faster to 150 mph (19.5 vs 21.5) and also has a higher top speed of 194 mph for the srt10 vert and 191 mph for the GTS....

Like I said it really depends on what kind of person you are..I love the fact that my 2003 Viper with just a hood change looks 95% like a 90K 2010 Viper....Possibly the last Viper...Like isnt even a good example..I LOVE the fact that the 2010 and 2003 look like the same car..Sure Im only around 550 HP......But it's still pretty kool...

In the end you cant go wrong.....

GTS slightly better looking/SRT10 slightly better car

****Like I said...I think the SRT10 is nicer....And if you get one report back on what happens the first time you take your SRT10 to a gas station and see if the people think it blends into traffic or looks like a vette

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was in your shoes last winter as well, and I decided to go with the Gen III instead of a II. I originally fell in love with the Older GTS's and I would love to have one in the garage, but when I actually started my buying process I just felt much better about the Gen III.

The interiors on the Gen II cars were surprisingly dated. Anyways I love them both but decided on my Gen III which I am extremely happy with.

Best of luck!

Andy Wheeler

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in the air between a '99 ACR & '06 coupe (first edition), the '06 was going to be about $1k more every six months for insurance. I went with the ACR.

Nick

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in the air between a '99 ACR & '06 coupe (first edition), the '06 was going to be about $1k more every six months for insurance. I went with the ACR.

Nick

Holy s@#%! Who is your insurance with? I'm looking at '04 and '05's right now. It will only cost me $638 per YEAR to add to my policy. This is at the limits needed to qualify for my umbrella.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Holy s@#%! Who is your insurance with? I'm looking at '04 and '05's right now. It will only cost me $638 per YEAR to add to my policy. This is at the limits needed to qualify for my umbrella.

HAHA yeh seriously holy crap.

Mine is very reasonable.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I was going to put nitrous on it, I would go with a 96-99 for the forged internals. I made a mistake ever selling my 96 B/W. I remember looking at it in the garage and it looked like a piece of artwork. Hard to beat the Gen II body.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Although I insure an '08 Dodge Ram and a 91 Stealth R/T TT and have max discount (46%) on both, my 6 months Viper insurance is $1600.

Course we have Government Insurance here in BC and it seems that Gov insurance is always the highest priced.

Ted

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 See all Dodge models
Wheelbase 2510 mm 98.8 in
Track front 1565 mm 61.6 in
rear 1547 mm 60.9 in
Length 4459 mm 175.6 in
Width 1911 mm 75.2 in
Height 1210 mm 47.6 in
Length:wheelbase ratio 1.78
Ground clearance 130 mm 5.1 in
Kerb weight 1523 kg 3358 lb
Weight distribution
(Front) 48.00 %
Fuel capacity 70 litres 15.4 UK Gal 18.5 US Gal
aerodynamics
Drag coefficient 0.400
Frontal area 1.79 m2
Cx 0.72
engine
Bore × stroke 102.40 mm × 100.60 mm
4.03 in × 3.96 in
Cylinders V-10 in 90.0° vee
Displacement 8.3 litre
8285 cc
(505.582 cu in)
Type OHV
Key: SOHCSingle overhead camshaftDOHCDouble overhead camshaftOHVOverhead valvesTSTwo strokeSVSide valvesSlSleeve valvesoiseOverhead inlet side exhaustSee more...
2 valves per cylinder
20 valves in total
Construction aluminium block & head
Sump
Compression ratio 9.60:1
Fuel system SMPFi
Maximum power
(SAEnet) 507 PS (500.0 bhp) (372.9 kW)
@ 5600 rpm
Specific output 60.4 bhp/litre
0.99 bhp/cu in
Maximum torque
(SAEnet) 712.0 Nm (525 ft·lb) (72.6 kgm)
@ 4200 rpm

1996 Dodge Viper GTS See all Dodge models
Wheelbase 2443 mm 96.2 in
Track front 1514 mm 59.6 in
rear 1539 mm 60.6 in
Length 4488 mm 176.7 in
Width 1923 mm 75.7 in
Height 1194 mm 47 in

Length:wheelbase ratio 1.84
Ground clearance 127 mm 5 in
Kerb weight 1531 kg 3375 lb
Weight distribution
(Front) 48.00 %
Fuel capacity 72 litres 15.8 UK Gal 19 US Gal
aerodynamics
Drag coefficient 0.390
Frontal area 1.91 m2
Cx 0.74
engine
Bore × stroke 101.60 mm × 98.50 mm
4 in × 3.88 in
Cylinders V-10 in 90.0° vee
Displacement 8 litre
7986 cc
(487.336 cu in)
Type OHV
Key: SOHCSingle overhead camshaftDOHCDouble overhead camshaftOHVOverhead valvesTSTwo strokeSVSide valvesSlSleeve valvesoiseOverhead inlet side exhaustSee more...
2 valves per cylinder
20 valves in total
Construction cast aluminium block & aluminium head
Sump
Compression ratio 9.60:1
Fuel system SMPFi
Maximum power
(SAEnet) 456.3 PS (450.0 bhp) (335.6 kW)
@ 5200 rpm
Specific output 56.3 bhp/litre
0.92 bhp/cu in
Maximum torque
(SAEnet) 664.0 Nm (490 ft·lb) (67.7 kgm)
@ 3700 rpm
bmep 1044.8 kPa (151.5 psi)
Specific torque 83.15 Nm/litre
Maximum rpm 6000 rpm
Manufacturer Dodge
Code
Main bearings
Coolant Water
Bore/stroke ratio 1.03
Unitary capacity 798.6 cc/cylinder
Aspiration Normal
Compressor type N/A
Intercooler None
Catalytic converter Y
performance

I STAND SELF CORECTED...THE GTS IS ACTUALLY A 1/4 INCH WIDER..WHILE THE SRT10 IS A INCH SHORTER IN LENGTH.....BUT THE SRT10 TO ME CERTAINLY LOOKS MUCH WIDER..MAYBEY BECAUSE OF THE SMALL SOFT TOP?????

Last edited:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hERES MY PROBLEM WITH SRT10 PICTURES...

This first red one is taken from a distance and you can barely make out any hood strates..As well that long line across the door looks like it is maybe a inch deep..No more special than a C6..The car looks kinda flat and boring in this pic...

The second pic of the green srt10 is the same exact car...Just the pic is close up and from the better angle of the car..Here you can see that the car isnt flat and boreing but actually wide...That lil C6 looking line across the door is actually DEEP...I mean deep as in it's somthing that you just dont see on the road..You could EASILY have your fist hidden under their...

When you actually own one..Your always close to it and the people you show it to are always right by it....An nsx buddy saw my srt10 for the first time and he thought that it was aftermarket fenders ect. I explained to him that no..Thats the way they come..But you cant seee it in pictures..

Last edited:

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The old body style vipers look old... ;)

Also I think its a no brainer if you can get a 5 year newer car for the same price...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456