Testing the waters: looking to buy a Gen 2 or 3 Viper

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all. Well, this has been a long time coming for me. I have owned one Viper in the past (a 93 RT-10) but sold it about 5 years ago. Since then I bought a nice Factory Five Shelby Cobra but I sold it last summer because I knew I wanted another Viper. I have been a Viper lover since I saw my first one in 1992, and IMO there is no better car on the road. I even went so far as to name my first born son Gathen Ty Shaner just so he could have the initials GTS :D

Well, with the Cobra sold, I finally got the green light to buy another Viper (what can I say, the wife runs the show). I will be 100% ready to purchase in about 6 weeks (the first of April). The date is based on a deal I have made with my wife, and it doesn't hurt that I am expecting a check at the end of the quarter.

Anyways, I thought I would throw this thread out there to see what all is available. I have been looking avidly for several months (various Viper forums, EBAY, Autotrader, Cars.com, etc.), and I know what I want, and what I don't want, and most importantly what I am willing to spend (ideally closer to $30K, but will pay more for the right car, especially a Gen 3). In addition, I would MUCH rather buy from a Viper Club member as opposed to some random person off the internet that may know nothing about the car they are selling. I know there are several people out there that would like to sell there car or need to get out of their car but don't have it advertised, and I thought this would be a good way to get my feelers on everything out there. Following is a list of years/models I am considering:

2003-2004 SRT-10, Black or Silver only (less than 30K, would prefer under 20K)

1996-1997 Blue/White GTS

1998-2001 GTS (no ACR), Black, Saphire Blue, Grey, or Silver - I prefer a car with no stripes and with black interior (less than 30K, would prefer under 20K)

1998-2001 RT-10, Black, Saphire Blue, Grey, or Silver - I prefer a car with no stripes, with black interior, and a hard top (less than 30K, would prefer under 20K)

I would also like to find a car with some extras/performance modifications (I know you usually don't hear that with all the people wanting stock cars). Anyways, a car with tasteful, well put together upgrades such as intake, headers, exhaust, supercharger, wheels, etc. would be a plus.

If anyone has any cars for sale, or that you are thinking about selling feel free to shoot me a PM or an e-mail at [email protected]

I need to reiterate that I won't be buying until April 1 (or right around there) as I need to respect the criteria my wife gave me to allow me to buy a Viper. If the right car comes along, and we can agree on a sale price, I would be willing to make a deposit to hold the car until April 1 if needed.

I can hardly wait to become active in the VCA and member of this forum, and become a part of the Kansas City Viper Club....it has been a long time coming. :drive:

Thanks for your time!

-Derek

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome...well...almost welcome :D and best of luck in your search.

My only comment would be to suggest that $30,000 will not go a long way on your chosen list. $35,000 can get you into a high mileage GEN 2, but some of the others listed would have to be very high mileage (50,000+ miles - which would only be high mileage for a Viper) to reach at $30,000.

Hope I'm wrong.

OP
OP
S

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck with the search, but I don't think you will find too many vipers under 30 grand.

I'm not looking to buy a Viper under $30K. I just said ideally I would find something in the low $30K's ($32-$33K) and if its the right car for me I would consider going higher from there! That isn't my limit. :2tu:

OP
OP
S

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for those who have responded.

Also, if the right car came along had stripes, I wouldn't rule it out, although I prefer a stripeless car.

Thanks!

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a red GTS on craigslist for under $30k, it looks nice, just high mileage. I don't remember which city I saw it in, but I think it was orange county, ca.

Nick

OP
OP
S

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a red GTS on craigslist for under $30k, it looks nice, just high mileage. I don't remember which city I saw it in, but I think it was orange county, ca.

Nick

Thanks for the heads up. I've seen lots of Gen 2's at or just under $30K but most have more milage than I want or they don't know the history of the car. I don't wamt to get anything with mileage that is to high.

Thanks again!

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome...well...almost welcome :D and best of luck in your search.

My only comment would be to suggest that $30,000 will not go a long way on your chosen list. $35,000 can get you into a high mileage GEN 2, but some of the others listed would have to be very high mileage (50,000+ miles - which would only be high mileage for a Viper) to reach at $30,000.

Hope I'm wrong.

sorry, but you are wrong. there are two very nice Gen 2 vipers in the classifieds right now with low mileage for 35k or less.

1999 Dodge Viper RT/10 1 owner 15k miles IMMACULATE - ViperClub Classifieds

1999 Black on Black GTS - ViperClub Classifieds

smokin deals IMO. i am considering pulling the plug on one of them myself. :D

paul fettig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cars are out there and do not be afraid to make what some people may think is a low offer. I just bought a California 2001 RT10, 16,000 miles, mint condition with three tops one owner car for 31k.Totally stock which is the way I wanted it.Car is in great shape.Cash is king now a days. Take advantage of it.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, the deals are out there. You don't even have to be patient; I'd be willing to bet you'll find a sub-$35k car within 6 weeks that's almost exactly what you want. It's unfortunate for the owners that the prices are that low, but it's fortunate for the buyers. If you're a buyer AND an owner...good luck sleeping!

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GOOD LUCK!!!!

Id recommend trying a gen3...Since you already experianced the gen1 wich is a lot like the gen2 as far as appearnace ect.

Cant say i like the silver srt10 though..very ugly compared to the gen2 silver IMHO...I think a black srt10 is right up your alley

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry, but you are wrong. there are two very nice Gen 2 vipers in the classifieds right now with low mileage for 35k or less.

1999 Dodge Viper RT/10 1 owner 15k miles IMMACULATE - ViperClub Classifieds

1999 Black on Black GTS - ViperClub Classifieds

smokin deals IMO. i am considering pulling the plug on one of them myself. :D

Hey, I'm hoping he can find what he's looking for, but those 2 cars you've linked are both priced over $30G's. Some of the other models he's specified are generally considered higher value.

:dunno: I was just commenting on my experience with my own former high mileage (45G's) Gen2. With 30G's and a 20G mileage limit, I'm not convinced he going to find much (that's top quality). But I still hope I'm wrong. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper