Trying to buy my first Viper, some questions?

gilbroyer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold my Corvette and I am now looking to step up and purchase a Generation II Viper. I would prefer a 2001 or 2002, I want a convertible (do not want a coupe). I have a few questions that I am hoping this forum will help me answer?

1. I am 6ft and 3 in tall, will I fit in a Gen II Viper, I fit well in a Corvette, but I sat in a new Viper at the Auto Show and it was tight, but I was not able to move the seat?
2. I am aware that the Gen II Viper does not have traction control, is the car difficult to control?
3. I know that the Gen II comes with a hard top, how difficult is it to put the hard top on and off, also I believe you can purchase a soft top is this difficult to take on and off and can the soft top fit in the car, fore example if I got caught in the rain? Also is removing the tops a one or two person job?
4. I believe that the Gen II Viper has power windows, ac, etc, what are the features that a Gen II (1997 -2002) Viper will have that Gen I (1992-1996) Viper will not have? Also if my dates are wrong please let me know.
5. Any features or issues that I should look for when purchasing a Gen II Viper?
6. Roughly how much money do you think I should spend on a 2001 or 2002 Viper?
7. Also anything that a forum member believes I should know about owning a Viper?

I appreciate all the help and can’t to wait to make an actual purchase of an automobile and share my pictures. Thank you so much.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome

What kind of Vette did you have?
Where are you from?
Please refrain from doubleposting:
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...-few-questions-potential-new-viper-owner.html

1. Yes you will fit
2. For the average person it is very hard to controll
3. Cake on and off. Yes the softy can fit in the trunk
4. ABS 01-02
5. Get her on a lift to inspect before purchase and bring along someone who is mechanicaly knowledgeable about vipers. contact you local VCA region to find someone. http://forums.viperclub.org/vca-regional-forums/
6. 35-55K depending on seller, mileage, condition, ect...
7. It aint no vette. If you get one, Respect it.

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You will likely fit...depends on whether your height is legs, trunk, or "equal". Probable that any mis-match could be solved with a 1" seat lowering kit (can still adjust seat) or a 2" seat lowering kit(seat will no longer be adjustable). Likely that car you "tried on" had a fixed 2" kit OR one missed the two adjustment levers. Remember also that pedals adjust.

No ABS on 2000 models.

I think upper price limit stated in answer #6 above is "a touch optimistic " ...for the seller. :)

As I am not a typist, feel free to call me for more discussion.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to purchase Viper Buyer's Guide. It will fill you in on the differences of all the Vipers through 2004. It is very helpful!

First of all...use the Search function above the Forum titles...more detailed information to all of your questions can be found in this forum.

Answers:

1. I think you will be fine...there are a number of threads on this topic. A seat lowering package can be purchased for them if needed.
2. The car is not difficult to control as long as the front wheels are facing forward when you get on the gas. The back end will break loose very easily...you must respect the torque.
3. The hard top is not hard to get on and off, but it doesn't fit in the trunk. The soft top does fit in the trunk. Both can be done by one person. I would recommend this 3 piece hardtop that does fit in the trunk...Trunk Top. Here's a link to a thread with some more pictures...GEN II aftermarket hard tops
4. Purchase the Viper Buyer's Guide.
5. Purchase the Viper Buyer's Guide.
6. Somewhere between $35,000 and $45,000 depending on condition of course and the modifications performed. There are some in the classifieds...VCA Classifieds - Vipers For Sale
7. Use the search feature, there is a lot of useful info in these forums.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. I'm 5'11" and my head touches my Jeff Lemke top. The Gen2 top accommodated much taller folks - they do make 1 & 2 inch seat lowering kits.
2. Traction control - nope. As for hard to control: It's harder to control than a Vette. I'd me more concerned about the brakes & crappy original tires than the "go" pedal.
3. I've heard about the soft tops having a speed limit associated with them - may want to look that up.
4. I have no experience with moving windows. I do have cold AC and a radio I can't hear. No exterior door handles on the Gen1.
5. Lift inspections are great. Viper parts are expensive. Make sure the normal wear & tear items are in good shape or the car will thousand dollar you to death (Tires $2000, Brake Pads $400, Rotors $1000, ball joints, tire rod ends, blah, blah, blah). A leak down test on the engine would be a great idea - engines aren't free either.
7. You will be crossing the line into manhood - your voice will crack & you will become aroused at the most uncomfortable times when ever driving or thinking about your new toy.

If you plan to modify your engine you may want to look at an early Gen2 RT to get the forged motor - much cheaper to buy an older Rt with a factory forged motor than it is to forge a "cream puff" motor - search on "cream puff" for details.

Do a search on white hood vents. They are a huge improvement over the stock hood vents in cooling and aerodynamic performance. They are very rare so if you find some - buy them!!!

Good luck!

ACR2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made the switch from Corvette to the Viper about 3 years. The Viper is a different world. Aside from your above questions there are some thigns to consider:
1. Corvette-you can get the parts just about anywhere at a reasonable price
Viper-not as many options for parts and they are very expensive
2. Corvette-crusie control, power everything, good stereo, cup holders.
Viper-who cares about that stuff
3. Corvette-practically any GM Service center can work on the car
Viper- you need a Viper Technician if you don't want to tackle it yourself

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, welcome :)
You will fit in a Gen 2 RT/10 However you may want to get a seat lowering kit. These are available in either 1" or 2" kits. I'm 6ft 2" and the only problem I have noticed between the RT/10 and the coupe is that on the RT/10 the frame surround around the windscreen is thicker due to the soft top roof mounts, this made me have to slide down in the seat a bit to get correct vision. I don't seem to have the same problem in the GTS :dunno: The Gen 2 cars also have adjustable pedals so this should help you with long legs :)

2 Tires, Make sure you get a car with good tires, they are not cheap and although you may see plenty of tread the tires may be past their use date, Pilot Sport 2s are the way to go ;)
This will help you with controlling the car. The gear box can be a bit tricky, do not rush the gears, many vipers have been bent by owners shifting from the top of 3rd thinking they were going into 4th only to find they dropped into 2nd :omg: NOT GOOD!

3 Watch out for worn locking joints on the top of the windscreen pillars, if your not used to the soft top it can be a bit fiddly to lock correctly ;) Gen 2 Cars have electric windows :2tu:

2000 Cars are known as Creampuffs, this is because they changed the Pistons and cam.
2001 /2002 ABS :2tu:
You might want to look around for a car that has had a Big Brake upgrade, Worth it ;)

If your thinking of doing any mods check out a car that has them fitted, you will save monies and time. Roe superchargers can be fitted on 2000 and up cars without changing the pistons keep to a 6lb pulley ;) You may also want side exit exhausts? Again its all do-able But side sills are expensive so look around carefully for what you want. Standard set up is rear exit on a GEN 2.
Check out the Viper registry for any recall work.
Car Fax is a must ;)
And when you do find what your looking for ask someone on here to check it out with you.
Good luck.
Also 'Viper Buyers guide' by 'Maurice Lang' Worth a read :2tu:
Mark
:uk:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Most folks will push the seat all the way back and then attempt to recline it. For those folks that are a bit taller, you move the seat forward one setting, and then recline the seat. This gives you better headroom, and with the adjustable pedals it is usually enough space. Since torsos can be quite different regardless of height, there are also seat lowering kits available.

Best of luck and you will enjoy one of the beasts.

Bill Pemberton
Viper and SRT Mgr
Woodhouse
Welcome to Woodhouse | Woodhouse Auto Family | Bellevue Omaha Blair Nebraska | Missouri Valley Iowa

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the above apply. The thing about Vipers that most experienced musclecar and or high performance owner-drivers have not experienced is the massive torque the V10 engine produces at even very low RPMs. This translates to strong power from the get go, where as big block V8's develope their high torque values with increase in RPM's. Vipers will run in 6th gear at idle with no knocking and no chugging. Some new owners of Vipers have totaled them within days of aquiring their cars because they thought the Viper was just another high HP car and they drove them as such before learning the snakes capabilities. In the Viper community the word of the day is "respect the torque." Good luck in finding the right car. Now is a great time for finding it.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2002 is a roadster, not convertable. The top comes completely off, leaving the rear window and hoop.

2003 is a true convertable, with the top and glass rear window fliping down into its storage area.

2003 has a new engine, brakes and other enhancements, but different styling.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As part of your purchase price, include a day at a driver's school. The time spent on the track will be the best $$$ you will ever spend.

PBR

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235