Check engine light - DTC P0132, P0135

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today, my CHECK ENGINE light came on at lunch. Drove my 2001, stock GTS home and returned to work in my truck. Once I got off work, I put the SCT on it to read the codes and decided to clear them. The codes both pointed to the #1 Bank O2 sensor. When I got home, I let the car warm up to 'fan temp' and shut it off without the engine light coming on again. It seemed to be running fine when I put it away at lunch, but it smelled 'funny' ... I thought it was fuel mixture at lunch, but waited to get the codes.

Here's the question... I have my first Viper Days :drive: coming up next weekend; should I over-night a new O2 sensor and try to get it put on this week or let it ride (a risk for sure) until it happens again? I'm planning on driving it HARD tomorrow to see if the codes pop again, but some of you have some experience with this, I'm sure. Any help with what I should do would be appreciated.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd lift the car and have a good look because the wires may be a bit close to the exhaust.... Burned wire would do it. Probably a failing sensor so swap it out.

my .02

OP
OP
B

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, showing my ignorance here, but where IS the O2 sensor? I know it's in the exhaust SOMEWHERE, but this is new territory for me. I'm quite able to tear stuff apart and rebuild it, but the Snake is new to me.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, showing my ignorance here, but where IS the O2 sensor? I know it's in the exhaust SOMEWHERE, but this is new territory for me. I'm quite able to tear stuff apart and rebuild it, but the Snake is new to me.

The front O2 sensors are up close to the engine just next to the motor mounts.

I had the P0135 code maybe twice. Cleared it and it has never come back. It means that the heater in the o2 sensor isn't heating it up as fast as the computer (and EPA) want it to. It might have been just be 0.1 second off of spec for all I know.

The other code indicates that there might be something else going on OBD-II Trouble Code: P0132 Oxygen Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank1, Sensor1)

It couldn't hurt to change it if the wires look good; if the code keeps comimg back.

OP
OP
B

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, guys. I cleared the DTC codes and drove it pretty hard today to see if they were going to come back. So far, no codes or weird smells. Guess I'll just wait it out and see if they come back again. If they do, I'll put in a new O2 sensor in Bank 1. Saw some more generic posts about there being another sensor in Bank 2. If the codes come back, should I replace them both or put the new one in 2 and the one in 2 back into 1 to check it out? :confused:

Daddy Long Stroke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may want to get one to take with you. When mine went bad (01 GTS) it would pick and choose it's times to run like crap. If your going to be running the car hard, don't let the 02 sensor ruin your track day. You will probably end of having to get one anyway, so get it now and take it with you.... I replaced just the bad one (not both) about two years ago, and been fine ever since.