Viper Club of America acquires spare parts from Chrysler

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
The official announcement was posted in the members section last week. NO not the death of Viper. Simplified version..Our club ensuring that regardless of what happens in the future with Dodge, Viper parts, past and present more or less, should be avail to us.

Membership has it's privileges.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is great the club has secured the CAAP excess parts inventory and possibly, at some point, the original tooling. However, while I am pretty good with a wrench I'm not deluding myself into thinking that I will be able to maintain my Viper for years to come. It simply is not the same as maintaining my old non-electronic, non-fuel injected, classic cars. The electronics are simply too complex for the average shade tree mechanic to handle the more complex problems. Given this does anyone know for how many years a manufacturer typically supports an older car? How long will they still have the DRBIIIs required for pre 2008 Vipers? I know we're good for several years, but what about 7,8,9 or more years? What kind of dealer support do the Gen 1/2 guys get?

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It mentions the acquisition of existing parts and tooling but what about the production of new parts (body panels, etc.). Does the VCA have the necessary resources to produce these items?

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In terms of future parts availability, I would say that the auto industry in general is in uncharted waters with all of the shutdowns, buyouts and bailouts. You have to think that this is a lot different than instances where thriving companies just discontinue or redesign an old model especially for cars that are very limited production to begin with. Cars like the Mustang and Camaro have created entire cottage industries where you can almost build an entire car from scratch but I'm thinking that won't be the case with the Viper. The upside is that this will make pristine examples of the legendary Viper even more valuable as well as the cars that get parted as salvage.

It is great the club has secured the CAAP excess parts inventory and possibly, at some point, the original tooling. However, while I am pretty good with a wrench I'm not deluding myself into thinking that I will be able to maintain my Viper for years to come. It simply is not the same as maintaining my old non-electronic, non-fuel injected, classic cars. The electronics are simply too complex for the average shade tree mechanic to handle the more complex problems. Given this does anyone know for how many years a manufacturer typically supports an older car? How long will they still have the DRBIIIs required for pre 2008 Vipers? I know we're good for several years, but what about 7,8,9 or more years? What kind of dealer support do the Gen 1/2 guys get?

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe manufacturers are federally mandated to provide parts and support for 7 years from date of manufacture. After that, you are on your own.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is such a great powerful car, I would think we will all be getting hit soon in the wallet from insurance companies....what if someone hits you, how is the insurance going to repair it ????

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets