Viper drive that starts with Attempted Vehicular Manslaughter and ends with Police

OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Viper drive that starts with Attempted Vehicular Manslaughter and ends with Polic

...wha' happened afterwards?

The guy is in jail now. Attempted Vehicular manslaughter charges and his kids got taken away from him.

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Viper drive that starts with Attempted Vehicular Manslaughter and ends with Polic

Thanks for the update and glad to hear. That was an extreme case and very intentional.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It was his word against the other guys, did he admit to it?

Bruce

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bruce

It was on video. Better than his word against his word. ;)

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow that is insaine. Thank goodness for the video camera!

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think the driver of the truck was a ****, but let me play devils advocate because that is how our society and court system works. Whats to stop the guy in the truck from saying his children distracted him and he drifted of line and then corrected. Suddenly he finds a driver full of road rage following him. (evidence A is this tape where it is written that the driver turns around "**********".). In protection of his kids, he attempts to defend himself and his kids by backing up to disable the road rage driver who is following him with intentions unknown. Why would the driver be following him? To let him know he was a ****? To tell him to be careful? To say "hey, you almost hit me? or to blow him away with a gun? The truck driver has no idea. If it can be assumed he was "attempting manslaughter", than it can easily be assumed the car following him means harm too. I mean no harm from this to anyone involved, but no good could EVER come from turning around to show someone you're upset at them. This could have easily resulted in a crushed Viper, or worse, bodily harm. It still could result in a road rage charge. It is far safer to just shake your head, say "what a ****", and live to see another day.

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

wow, that is a stretch :rolleyes:

It's one thing to try to defend by backing up, but 1/2 a block? Don't think so. I think the tape speaks for itself. Cops obviously thought so as did the prosecutor, judge and jury

I think the driver of the truck was a ****, but let me play devils advocate because that is how our society and court system works. Whats to stop the guy in the truck from saying his children distracted him and he drifted of line and then corrected. Suddenly he finds a driver full of road rage following him. (evidence A is this tape where it is written that the driver turns around "**********".). In protection of his kids, he attempts to defend himself and his kids by backing up to disable the road rage driver who is following him with intentions unknown. Why would the driver be following him? To let him know he was a ****? To tell him to be careful? To say "hey, you almost hit me? or to blow him away with a gun? The truck driver has no idea. If it can be assumed he was "attempting manslaughter", than it can easily be assumed the car following him means harm too. I mean no harm from this to anyone involved, but no good could EVER come from turning around to show someone you're upset at them. This could have easily resulted in a crushed Viper, or worse, bodily harm. It still could result in a road rage charge. It is far safer to just shake your head, say "what a ****", and live to see another day.

OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bruce

The guy admited it to officers. He is going to jail.

R993

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Better that Mark turned around and followed him. What happens if he did not bother and this nutcase goes after the next "guy" or "mom" that is being taught a lesson and this time he kills someone.
Probably saved someone's life with his action and thankfully a video since that's hard to dispute.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Doesn't appear that the video shows the truck crossing the double yellow initially but it's pretty clear that he was trying to scare the guy in the Viper. The reverse move was blatant but attempted manslaughter seems extreme. Road Rage seems more plausible. Your buddy had the initial unprovoked maneuver on video and he could have just called the police rather than following the guy in the truck or only following if he needed to get the plate number. This could have ended much worse but the guy in the truck must have issues that he hopefully sorts out behind bars. The guy in the Viper was maybe a bit overzealous IMO. I can't imagine any order of law enforcement endorsing civilian pursuit. I guess it won't be long before Video Cams are as common as GPSs.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Glad to see it worked out in the end.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I viewed the video. Here is what the likely defense will be. He was not trying to hit Mark's car. He was merely trying to get a closer look because he and his kids got excited about seeing a Viper. The Viper then turned around and followed him. He had his kids in the car and became fearful. He tried to scare the Viper off by backing up toward it and that did not work. He was about to go into his house with his children and call the police when the police showed up and the officer approached his truck with his gun drawn.

The prosecutor will probably decide that the case should not be brought to trial and some hand slap will be negotiated.

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Its kinda stupid to follow a guy in a big truck with your viper after he just tried to run you off the road. Mark really was not prepared to defend himself going out for a viper joyride and actually fortunate the guy wasnt a total case cause his viper and his life could be in big jeopardy. Close calls dont count. Contact wasnt made. Gotta be quick to think about those things before pursuing further and going deep into the rabbit hole. Hell they probably never see each other again.

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Its kinda stupid to follow a guy in a big truck with your viper after he just tried to run you off the road. Mark really was not prepared to defend himself going out for a viper joyride and actually fortunate the guy wasnt a total case cause his viper and his life could be in big jeopardy. Close calls dont count. Contact wasnt made. Gotta be quick to think about those things before pursuing further and going deep into the rabbit hole. Hell they probably never see each other again.

Some would think like that but given the fact that the videotape was probably used as the primary piece of physical evidence to put this guy away, it is reasonable to believe that we can only experience so much from simply watching the videotape, and the situation was probably much more dangerous than it appears. That being said, any responsible driver has an implied duty to report something like this, especially considering the fact that there were children in the car.
How would you feel if you were the driver of that viper, and you brushed it off and did not call the police or pursue the driver to see for your own eyes the outcome of the situation, only to hear later on the news that the nut job ended up killing himself, his kids, and some other car that he decided to ram?

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Some would think like that but given the fact that the videotape was probably used as the primary piece of physical evidence to put this guy away,...........
Did I miss something? All I saw written was that the guy was in jail on charges. NOT that he was in jail because he went to court and was convicted. If that info was missed, then I can't add much. But, if its still awaiting trial, I think this strong evidence of a tape, and a good lawyer will get this guy off. This tape holds no proof of what this guys intentions were. It only shows a truck crossing the center line. Try as I might, I could not read his mind as he croossed the center line. It was also stated he "admitted" to the charges. I'd be willing to bet the question was "did you back up and try to hit this guy?" so the answer would be yes. So based on the call from the Viper driver, and only going off what he said, they would arrest the guy in all cases. This is where the policing stops and the court system begins. The evidence tape will show a Viper driver slowly drifting to the right to avoid a truck that was headed toward him, The Viper driver saw the truck, avoided the truck, and at no time was in danger. The tape then shows the Viper driver commiting an illegal U-turn in the middle of a busy road to follow the truck, while admitting on tape to being "**********". What am I missing that some folks are defending the Viper drivers actions against this potential "murderer"?

V

Venomiss

Really glad he's OK Dan and that the police got there.
It will be interesting to see what will happen to this guy.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What am I missing that some folks are defending the Viper drivers actions against this potential "murderer"?

I sure don't want you around when any **** hits the fan...it sounds like you will be headed in the opposite direction. Would you have tried to convince the passengers on United Airlines flight 93 (departure September 11, 2001) that they should stay in their seats and be quiet while hijackers flew their plane into the White House or the Capitol building.

Some people have a different make-up from others, they run towards the bullets, not away from them...see David Benke (the guy who ran towards and subdued the Deer Creek Middle School, Littleton, CO, shooter). I agree that if you are a pansy, you should definitely not try any of these options...just drive your viper back to your pink house with the white picket fence.

In a matter of just 60 seconds, the driver of the F150 tried to use his vehicle as a weapon twice! I absolutely defend Mark's actions...the only issue I have with Mark is his choice of music (if you can call that music ;)).

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Very interesting interpretations and opinions.

First off, I would never have been able to avoid that truck backing up and swerving around other car's behind me. I'd have $25,000 in damage to my front end! Kudos for that quick thinking and ace driving!

Though I would have the same "ticked off" demeanor, I would not have pursued the truck while in my Viper. Too many things to go wrong most all of which leave me in a mess of trouble that, later on in the day with a cooler head, I would have GREATLY regretted.

With regard to the defendant's confession to the police, would it not have been prior to being mirandized(sp?) and therefore questionable as to it's legal admission in court?

It all just goes to show how many nuts there are out there....every day. IMO, best to avoid, unless you are desperate for new parts and a paint job.

Still, I thought I was watching a new episode of Cops! Very entertaining.

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thats freaking crazy. Why the heck would someone do that? Glad he was video taping and the caught him.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

.... if you are a pansy, you should definitely not try any of these options...just drive your viper back to your pink house with the white picket fence.

:lmao:

:2tu:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The fact that kids were in the car made it a safer decision for Mark to pursue. Its highly likely a nutjob would not consider Marks actions to follow an apparent threat and not retaliate with a couple shots through the windshield. That's with kids involved that is.

This says a little about choosing our battles.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Seconds 15-18 in the video are scary. Why does he cross the lanes going straight onto the Viper? Crazy driver for sure.:rolleyes:

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nicely said.

Very interesting interpretations and opinions.

First off, I would never have been able to avoid that truck backing up and swerving around other car's behind me. I'd have $25,000 in damage to my front end! Kudos for that quick thinking and ace driving!

Though I would have the same "ticked off" demeanor, I would not have pursued the truck while in my Viper. Too many things to go wrong most all of which leave me in a mess of trouble that, later on in the day with a cooler head, I would have GREATLY regretted.

With regard to the defendant's confession to the police, would it not have been prior to being mirandized(sp?) and therefore questionable as to it's legal admission in court?

It all just goes to show how many nuts there are out there....every day. IMO, best to avoid, unless you are desperate for new parts and a paint job.

Still, I thought I was watching a new episode of Cops! Very entertaining.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Its highly likely a nutjob would not consider Marks actions to follow...

I do agree with you about there being a lot of nutjobs out there...maybe the video should start with "Don't try this at home." I definitely don't recommend what Mark did for everyone, probably not most in this country...we've become a bunch of 'just let it go' whimps because of the nutjobs (and the laws protecting them) out there.

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dude, bottom line is you have NO IDEA what you may be getting into and you gotta make a real quick decision if it's worth it Cause I don't need to remind you sometimes things can get real ugly real fast and if so you don't just want to have a viper and a video camera for protection to determine the next step in the rest of your life.

Even highly trained cops in teams handle chase scenes which are broadcast almost monthly in Los Angeles with the utmost caution and safety to proctect themselves and the public in the vicinity.

There is a whole lotta action out there if you game for that stuff but by not being careful somebody could get seriously hurt and that what we are trying to avoid.

I do agree with you about there a lot of nutjobs out there...maybe the video should start with "Don't try this at home." I definitely don't recommend what Mark did for everyone, probably not most in this country...we've become a bunch of 'just let it go' whimps because of the nutjobs (and the laws protecting them) out there.

Last edited:

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BANG BANG.........Halt!

Don't you guys carry....

Attachments

• 82512.jpg
    82512.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited: