Transmission on Gen 2 Viper - Third Gear Grinding

brap

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello,

Last night I took my '98 out for the first time in 5 months. I noticed that every time I shifted into third gear it would want to grind, and it wasn't easy to get it into gear. Naturally I stopped shifting third gear and went straight from 2nd -> 4th the rest of the way home once I noticed it was a problem with the transmission and not me messing up the shift. I had no other problems with any other gears.

Anyone have any clues as to what this could be, and also, any one recommend a quality transmission shop in the Northern Virginia area?

A quick Google search brought up several AAMCOs and Cottman Transmission shops, but I'm not sure I should use those or not (I've always got the impression they were the Jiffy Lubes of the Transmission shops, maybe i'm wrong?). Besides, I'd rather use someone recommended by fellow Viper owners than someone I pick off a Google search.

I was told the Dodge Dealership would just ship out the transmission to someone else and be way more expensive.

It's been quite a frustrating day not being able to drive in this beautiful weather.

Thanks,
Ryan

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It could be the shifting fork or something else, but can't know for sure until you get it opened up an looked at. I think the Dodge dealer in Roanoke, VA deals a lot with Vipers.

OP
OP
B

brap

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After calling several shops in the area, turns out almost everyone ships the transmissions out to AAMCO's around here. So I took the car to an AAMCO down the street to get a free 'diagnosis'.

I'm pretty sure they went joy riding in the car and were not very professional, I got the car back with a quarter tank less of gas, 15 extra miles, and two different guys had been driving it. I'm not sure why they'd need to drive 15 miles to determine that there is a problem with 3rd gear. However they guy said he thought it was the synchro gear, though I won't be taking it back to that shop.

Anyway, a guy at a local performance shop recommended a different AAMCO further away that they use with success. So I'll be taking it there and just have it fixed at what ever cost.

It's spring time and I ready to start driving the Viper again, I've been waiting all winter!

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
almost always better( and cheaper) to replace with a used tranny from a reputable source than to let someone try to repair the damage. don't be in a hurry

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Jeff Sherwin at safford dodge in springfield, they use a good shop and the price is not that bad.
I and many others on here can vouch for Jeff. Not to mention, he will drive your viper to locate the problem, not the shop, remove it at the dealership and personally drive it to his trans shop for repair. Charged me two hrs to pull and reinstall my trans (110 per hr) when I replaced clutch (additional cost for clutch related stuff).

OP
OP
B

brap

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey all, thanks for all the replies.

After calling around a couple shops, I was told about a Transmission shop in Vienna, Virginia called County Transmissions. The guy there was totally cool, and knew all about the T56 had worked on many Vipers, Vettes, Mustangs, etc that had them.

He also mentioned the same thing crazyspeed mentioned, that if the damage is too bad and required a lot of work, he knew of places to source a used or rebuilt transmission that would save me money (as opposed to rebuilding my existing one).

SquadX, I have taken my Viper to Safford Dodge several times, and they've always done great work, and their Viper Tech is really knowledgeable. However, they have always been a little pricey for me, and this time around I decided to go with a different shop.

I'll post back what the exact problem is once County Transmissions opens up the transmission and takes a look.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What did the problem end up being? Mine is a little "chunky" going into 3rd when cold. But seems ok after warm up.
synchro/fork issue?

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
brap, I'd love an update on this. Sooner or later I'll probably encounter an internal transmission issue and I'd like to have a reliable shop in my area documented. Especially if they do good work for a reasonable price.
Thanks!

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update!? This thread is only half done without an update! Be very interested in hearing confirmation of the repair based on the symptoms and what the cost was to repair it....