2 questions after exhaust install

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished installing my mopar race exhaust. I found that i have the tips set back a little to close the the hole in the body panel. When the tips are cool there more centered. When the exhaust heats up the tips migrate towards the back part of the hole in the panel. The tip on the right side doesnt touch at all but comes close and the left tips just barely touches. I really dont want to take the panels off again and move the tips foward a 1/4" due to the big pain in the neck losening the the nuts in the vents. If i bought trim rings would they protect the body panel from getting scratched or are they more for show?

Next question is there are two holes in the skid plate where the stock exhaust used to be. Im going the get stainless sheet metal to cover the really big hole. Should i also get another peace to cover where the vent is that used to blow air the the exhaust when driving? Now it just points air at the drive shaft.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tips really should be mounted closer to the front the of the opening when they are cold, they will move quite a bit when hot and should be in the center at operating temp. You run the risk of burning the paint or the sill if it touches. The trim rings are more for show than anything else. If you removed the cats, you may not build as much heat and get away with it. I would leave the hole in the skid plate, I don't see any harm in it, may actually help cool the diff:dunno:

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It takes multiple "fit checks" with the sills coming off and on to get a near perfect fit. Take your time and be patient or else, as Mark mentioned, you'll be repainting your sills.

OP
OP
S

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the response to all. Ill take the side sills off and move the tips foward. My dad and i took the sills off and on a million times during the install to get the tips just right. My mistake was trying to get them center while cold. I didnt think they would move back that far. And ill leave the vent in the skid plate open thanks. Oh and lifeisgood i dont have any pics yet. Its been raining the last two days sorry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth