Airbox Front Damaged - Gen 2 - Help...

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just trying to install a Vipair when I decided to check to see if the car had K&N filters. It did. However, I also noticed that the "dumbarse" that put the K&N filters in must not have realized the car not only has 4 clips holding the airbox together on the top, but also on the bottom. When I took it apart they had broken 3 of the 4 bottom clips off along with the plastic that holds the metal clips. So even if I had 3 new clips they would not go on because the airbox plastic is damaged where the pin on the clips hold the clips.

They must have pulled the box apart when they took off the top clips and busted 3 of the 4 bottom clips. Morons I tell you...

Does anyone have a new front part of the airbox??? The back part is fine.

Or, does anyone have any ideas on a fix??? With only one clip on the bottom, it can't be held together as tight as it should. Thanks.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You caught me when I was bored... since my reply, this is what I just made using some aluminum. I had it off because I'm changing my PS pulley..

You can bend up some aluminum or metal, pull the pin out, drill 5/64" holes in the bracket for the pin, put the clip in and press the pin back in.

You must be registered for see images

I didn't grind my box, but just using a photo editor, you can grind away the broken tab region, there's enough plastic to do this.

Here's a couple more pics..

You can rivet these to the airbox from the inside, it's a safe area since it's before the filters, no worry if the rivet or whatever comes off because the filter will stop it from going into the engine.

Regards,
Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, Mike. Just amazing to me... I wish you were my neighbor!!! I will give this a try. Looks like a nice solution. Or, if you want to make a few more and sell them to me I'd be glad to buy them. Up to you. I wish I was that handy. Impressive for as short of time as you had from your first reply. I think you could sell a bunch of these.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, quick redesign, shortened it so the clip could fold completely closed. It works great.

PS.. I am your neighbour (north of the border), if you want to fix yours, I'll make you 4 of them, PM me your mailing address. Once you get them, mail me 1 large chocolate bar in return, that's it for cost.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, quick redesign, shortened it so the clip could fold completely closed. It works great.

Wanna make a few more (I need 3 -- maybe 4 (a spare just in case)) and sell them to me? I really don't have the tools to do this. You can PM me if you want. Thanks. You're amazing... and quick. :)

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just made 4 more.. they're yours georgethedog, PM me a mailing address. See my PS above for cost. :D

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They were mailed out this afternoon. :2tu:

If you could Post some pics when done, that'd be cool to share.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited: