Buying a Viper for low 20's ? possible?

spikeone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Currently in the market for a Viper, looking at Gen 1's, how possible is it to find one in the low 20,000$ ?

- mileage doesn't matter
- as stock as possible to keep cost low
- don't need A/C
- would be nice to have hardtop

I am not picky, if headgasket aren't done, I can do those. Mostly looking for a car that might even need some TLC, I almost bought a salvage title Viper to restore but the project made no sense in the end cost wise. Not scared of a salvage title unless it was burnt or flooded.

I keep checking classified, the one selling for 20,000$ is sadly already sold or else I would have jumped on it.

So ya, how plausible is it and does anyone have one for sale ;)

Last edited:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Search all vipers on ebay and then click on completed listings... If the price is green then the car actually sold... You need to have an ebay account to do that search...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
it could happen..at leaast you are being realistic.

a great gts sold last week right here for $25k!

OP
OP
S

spikeone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have checked ebay, biggest problem there is it's hard to have the car inspected prior to buying with it being an auction. being all the way up in Canada, I kind of want to have car inspected before paying to fly down to check it myself so ebay doesn't leave much time for that.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not saying you should buy on ebay... although most people who do buy there are able to arrange inspections. If you find a car in NJ for instance... me or someone else can go look to see if it's at least worth having a Tech inspect the car.

Ebay is a good barometer of actual values but they tend to sell a little lower there I think. Vipers are pretty rare so you really limit yourself by only looking at local cars. I don't know the market in Canada but best of luck and lots of help available here...

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, yours is on the way... Gen 1 is a great car for that kind of money.

Be willing to travel, see it for yourself (or get lucky near home). Fly in and drive it home (these cars are few and far between).

So Chad, looking to sell perhaps?? :eater:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I found one of my GTSs on ebay, contacted the owner and after the deal expired because the offers weren't close to reserve, I got the owner to email me tons of hi-res pics until I was satisfied that the car was a good deal. Macedo Motorsports built the car and I contacted them for information. Larry sent me a receipt. I had references from several VCA members that knew the car and owners. I flew out to Ohio and after looking over the car and driving it, I bough the car. Temp plates and temp insurance the next day and drove the car 3,200 miles home to the West Coast.

I've bought 3 Vipers and 2 Stealth TTs from the US. The US paperwork is usually a PIA and screwed up more often than not. Cda RIV is a huge PIA and took max time and usually required papers faxed 6 times.

BUT, use the resources of the Viper club and the forums to find history of any car your interested in. This last GTS was highly modified so I got history from Macedo Motorsports again and through Larry I got the history of the car. Eddie Martin (Viper Tech) was the maintenance guy on the car after if was sold to Phoenix, Az. Yes, I paid Eddie Martin for an inspection on this last car - just to be sure!

Stock would mean try to find the regular maintenance guy and get an opinion first.

Not likely you'll find a modified Viper at that price, but I'd suggest that every Viper should have an engineered exhaust with Hi-flow Cats as a minimium modification. Non a/c Vipers are extremely warm/uncomfortable with stock (Gov. required) 4 chamber Cats.

Upgrading the brakes to Gen 3, changing over to 18 or 19" wheels is advisable and much safer. Stereo speakers also a great upgrade from stock. Gen 1s use cast iron exhaust manifolds and upgrading to newer Gen 2 stock headers lightens the car 50# and adds 10(?)hp and some mileage.

Ted

Ted

OP
OP
S

spikeone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
plan is to get a car and then modify it as time goes on

and I am looking in the US, don't mind to travel (but East Coast would be best or else i'd be looking at shipping).

Cheapest Gen 1 here in Quebec is 32,000$ with some even hitting 40,000$ !!! (crazy, I know)

Biggest thing is I wanted to see if this was possible or if I should wait a bit longer for a bigger budget.

As long as I can get the car, upgrades are not what worries me, those can be added later, I just want to try to stick to budget for the car itself

I hadn't thought about asking local guys here to see if they know the car and check them out before hand. It's good advice for sure.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a White/blue stripes 1996 RT/10 I will be selling in a month or so. 54K miles, has an exhaust system. Will be asking $24,500 for it. clear title. PM me for more details. Car is located in north PA.

Last edited:

ohno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes its possible. I just bought a 98 gts (salvage title) on ebay a couple of days ago for $20,000 even.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a White/blue stripes 1996 RT/10 I will be selling in a month or so. 54K miles, has an exhaust system. Will be asking $24,500 for it. clear title. PM me for more details. Car is located in north PA.

and this seller can be trusted

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This man can definately be trusted. He is a real nice guy and takes very good care of his Vipers. :headbang: :2tu:

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would you be interested in a 1996 RT?

I'm in Northern NH. Wife and I are just starting to talk about selling it. Not sure yet. Every time we drive it we change our minds again.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I know of 2 Gen 1's for sale in the mid 20's. One is a 1996 and the other is a 1993, both mechanically sound with milage in the 20,s. Both serviced by us.

Let me know,

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These cars will probably go fast, listed yesterday:

1995 rt 10 dodge viper 1995 rt 10 dodge viper - $15000 (napa county)

That guy wants $15000 PLUS the $38000 needed to pay off the lein. That car is going to be for sale for a looooooong time.

I know of 2 Gen 1's for sale in the mid 20's. One is a 1996 and the other is a 1993, both mechanically sound with milage in the 20,s. Both serviced by us.

Let me know,

That '96 RT/10 sounds like a great deal.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$3,800 so sounds like $18,800 buys the car...

That guy wants $15000 PLUS the $38000 needed to pay off the lein. That car is going to be for sale for a looooooong time.

That '96 RT/10 sounds like a great deal.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats because the bumper was repainted and the dude couldnt afford to pay tthe extra for stripes.
because he wasted his $$ on those ugly exhaust tips.

Pathetic:cool:

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

and this seller can be trusted

This man can definately be trusted. He is a real nice guy and takes very good care of his Vipers. :headbang: :2tu:

Another vote for 99RT/10. You can 100% trust him and he has been a big part of the Viper community for a long time.

Reaction score
I'm also in the market right now for a rt/10, do all the rt/10 have the windows that you slide in? i wanted a gts but i can't afford to spend that much so mid 20's is my cap, i'm willing to travel also. live in va beach, va so no farther then 1200 miles. thanks guys

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave