Whats better Belanger headers or ACRX headers?

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my ACR gets built what Headers should I go with? ACRX headers with the stock side exhaust or ACRX headers with DC exhaust or Corsa? Or full Balanger headers and exhaust. What are the differences in power? Also the Arrow ported lower intake or DC ported intake?

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Whats better Balanger headers or ACRX headers?

It would be interesting to note how the ACRX headers compare in terms of weight against the belangers...the belangers are very light (I did not weight them)....the lower porting of the intake is pretty staight forward...if Arrow does all warranty work for the Viper engines then consider that factor if anything goes wrong.....believe one company charges less than the other....

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I would recomend Balanger or M&M Performance because they are ceramic coated to keep the heat down. The Balanger cat back seems to be very loud.

OP
OP
K

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The ACRX headers are not coated? Can I use Balanger headers with stock side exhaust? Is there a power difference if I do?

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The ACRX headers are not coated? Can I use Balanger headers with stock side exhaust? Is there a power difference if I do?

I have the Belanger headers with HF cats and run the stock mufflers...I understand that the stock mufflers offer the same performance as the competition...Belanger designed the headers with HF cats to bolt on the stock mufflers or Corsa. I just did not want anything too loud - reason I kept the stock mufflers...

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The ACRX headers are not coated? Can I use Balanger headers with stock side exhaust? Is there a power difference if I do?[/quote]

When my ACR gets built what Headers should I go with? ACRX headers with the stock side exhaust or ACRX headers with DC exhaust or Corsa? Or full Balanger headers and exhaust. What are the differences in power? Also the Arrow ported lower intake or DC ported intake?[/quote]

You can use a number of exhaust set-ups with the Belangers, with the stock you won't gain as much power as the other's but it is much quieter (do a search maybe 5-7 hp less?)

I have the full belanger and I get a drone just before 3K RPM, (2700-3200) that the Corsa guys say they don't get. No issue at the track but my ears buzz driving on the street. Power wise the Belanger, Corsa and DC are all close. Try to compare in person drone and if you care about sound, listen to that too.

I just put on DC's ported intake, Dan told me that he saw what arrow did and modified slightly more. I haven't seen Arrow's dyno numbers, Dan's are 20-25 RWHP.

OP
OP
K

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The ACRX headers are not coated? Can I use Balanger headers with stock side exhaust? Is there a power difference if I do?[/quote]

When my ACR gets built what Headers should I go with? ACRX headers with the stock side exhaust or ACRX headers with DC exhaust or Corsa? Or full Balanger headers and exhaust. What are the differences in power? Also the Arrow ported lower intake or DC ported intake?[/quote]

You can use a number of exhaust set-ups with the Belangers, with the stock you won't gain as much power as the other's but it is much quieter (do a search maybe 5-7 hp less?)

I have the full belanger and I get a drone just before 3K RPM, (2700-3200) that the Corsa guys say they don't get. No issue at the track but my ears buzz driving on the street. Power wise the Belanger, Corsa and DC are all close. Try to compare in person drone and if you care about sound, listen to that too.

I just put on DC's ported intake, Dan told me that he saw what arrow did and modified slightly more. I haven't seen Arrow's dyno numbers, Dan's are 20-25 RWHP.

Awesome thanks for the info! Balanger and Corsa is sounding good. What about power difference on headers? ACRX vs Balanger?

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I would go with the ACRX headers aka American Racing Headers. You will make more peak horsepower with a 5-into-1 header vs a tri-y design. With that said, with the AR headers my car made 25+ more rwhp compared to my previous bellangers back to back..

OP
OP
K

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would go with the ACRX headers aka American Racing Headers. You will make more peak horsepower with a 5-into-1 header vs a tri-y design. With that said, with the AR headers my car made 25+ more rwhp compared to my previous bellangers back to back..

25 more horse!:headbang: Looks like ACRX headers it is:drive:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

dont the bellangers make more power under the curve rather than peak hp ?

Nowayforya

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have the complete Belanger System on my 08. There is no drone what so ever and sounds great. My 04 had Corsa cat back only. It was much louder than my 08.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

If you're referring the the 5>2>1 pickled headers you're correct Plum. However, those can be optimized by removing the pickles as well.

Ted

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It would be interesting to note how the ACRX headers compare in terms of weight against the belangers...the belangers are very light (I did not weight them)....the lower porting of the intake is pretty staight forward...if Arrow does all warranty work for the Viper engines then consider that factor if anything goes wrong.....believe one company charges less than the other....

I have a set of Gen 4 ACRX headers and M&M headers at my office, I'll try to weigh them. I am a dealer for both so if anyone needs some tomorrow...

From a hands on pick it up off the floor perspective the ACR X headers actually feel about teh same as M&M in weight and the Belangers feel a little heavier

ACR X headers are not coated , they are stainless 304 grade thin walled tubing. The Belanger and M&M are mild steel ceramic/aluminum coating (hence the "aluminized metal claim of Belanger)

Cost wise the pecking order is

Belanger $$$$$
ACRX $$$$
M&M $$$

Performance wise the ACR X will give better peak HP, M&M will be next in line as they are 1 3/4 tri Y without a pickle and the Belangers have the pickle.

From what I have been told by ACR X Header Guru Todd Gomez, the Chrysler proving ground race team found that the ACR X header made better power throughout the power band on an engine dyno, when compared to a Belanger system

All 3 systems are high quality 3/8" thick flange systems, to coat ACR X Headers add approx $300 to the cost or just use your heat shields ( the factory headers aren't coated either.

Steve

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Once my ACR X is delivered a set of Belanger's will be going on....
Where would we find the TEST COMPARISON ?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We have the Belanger headers on our '05 and really like them. Stand up company that has provided the Viper community with a stand up product for many years. We are very happy with them.

That said, we have been hearing very good things about the ACR-X/American Racing headers and what went on with SRT to choose them over the rest. Always nice to hear about new designs that improve the breed.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Once my ACR X is delivered a set of Belanger's will be going on....
Where would we find the TEST COMPARISON ?

Frank,

I don't think you understand, the ACRX headers are not "recommended" for the ACRX, they come on the ACRX from the factory. If you are going to take them off, I'll take them off your hands. Either way Belanger or American Racing headers your car will be fast and given your history of owning a comp coupe you are probably well aware of what a set of Belanger headers can do for your viper.

Your car will come with AR headers with a high flow cat that the out pipe will be reduced to run with the stock cat back.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

If you are setting up the car for 95+% track use like an ACR-X, and you're not concerned about the heat on many under-hood components of a stock streetcar, then choose a header whose power band is better suited for wide open throttle Most of the time, like the ACR-X headers.

The ACR-X has no such heat concerns, no cats, no cockpit comfort components or hardware or goals, and a header designed for SRT 100% track use meets that need. Remember that on-track, you are at, or on the way to WOT over 50+% of the time. Not so in a street Viper.

If you are building primarily a street and strip car, occasional track days, that would benefit from low end torque and midrange torque, and would appreciate less HEAT under the hood by about 220°, then choose Belanger.

I have yet to see a Dyno run that shows more than +7 hp at WOT vs. Belanger. And the SRT spec-sheets and ACR-X debut paperwork claim the same HP with Belanger in pre-production as it does now with ARHs in ACR-X production. If ACRX now has +25 or more HP as some here tout, Id expect to see that from Team SRT! Wouldn't you? That would be BIG BRAGGING RIGHTS and I think Team SRT would probably claim that in a Spec series vs being a sleeper.

There are several elements that come into play when a manufacturer makes a final choice. Things like price, availability, and power are key elements, and there are others.

Choose wisely.......

Last edited:

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score

My engine builder has recommended the American Racing header. The car is being built for SCCA's STO class and will resemble an ACRX with hopefully a bit more horsepower.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gotta ask yourself what you are trying to accomplish with your new headers.

Maximum hp on the dyno.

Fastest performance under the curve for road racing.

Maximum hp available for drag racing. (Variable depending on tires, power, RPM and gearing.

Best looking for car shows.

Coolest running for longevity of engine components.

Longest lasting for long term value.

Lots of things to consider.

Lots of options out there. The ViperNation is blessed to have so many options.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gentleman,

GEN 3 American Racing Headers Stepped 1 5/8" to 1 3/4" long tube 5 into 1 race merge collector. Fresh Gen 3 on engine dyno @ Arrow Racing. Bone stock engine / bone stock controller / delete cats. Take notice of the excellent trq band & hp numbers. This is what got everybody's attention ( SRT / Mopar ). With a properly modified controller their is definite power gains to be had!

Arrow Racing is SRT's authorized Viper Engine Builder.

RPM / TRQ / HP
3500 552.9 368.5
3600 539.6 369.9
3700 542.0 381.8
3800 553.2 400.3
3900 561.3 416.8
4000 568.2 432.7
4100 568.4 443.7
4200 567.7 454.0
4300 565.0 462.6
4400 573.8 480.7
4500 575.3 492.9
4600 575.9 504.4
4700 574.1 513.8
4800 567.2 518.4
4900 564.3 526.5
5000 560.5 533.6
5100 556.6 540.5
5200 553.7 548.2
5300 542.6 547.6
5400 535.3 550.4
5500 526.4 551.3
5600 513.3 547.3
5700 503.8 546.8
5800 487.2 538.0
5900 479.4 538.5
Max 575.9 551.3

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=:usa:

Attachments

• =BBG= ARH  ACRX Track project Feb 1, 2010.jpg
    =BBG= ARH ACRX Track project Feb 1, 2010.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_5357 (1).jpg
    IMG_5357 (1).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 116
  • =BAD BOYZZ SERIES=tm 3810.jpg
    =BAD BOYZZ SERIES=tm 3810.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gentleman,

Empirical data on the Viper OEM ACRX-Track Headers. 100 percent for the street. The ARH TRQ / HP numbers now set the standard for the next generation in Viper Performance Parts. This is a good thing for the Vipers Hertitage.

Bone stock ACR provided by SRT for ACRX-Track header developement.

First dyno with stock factory exhaust & stock factory controller.

Second dyno with first ever set of American Racing Headers, Gen 4 Viper ACRX-Track system with 1 3/4" long tube 5 into 1 race merge, delete cats with 2.5" finished pipe to accomodate the stock factory mufflers with stock controller.

The Gen 4 really responds well to this long tube design. The Trq & HP numbers all through the RPM range, are phenomenal! This is why the decisions where made.

The track has a few upgraded goodies inside the V10 power plant & a Mopar controller that you know has a few tweaks that the general public isn't privi to. The real numbers are very impressive I'm sure!

We are getting a great response on this OEM Track header system, so I'm sure we will be reading post from owners soon. I do offer coating for a nominal fee of $300 upcharge as earlier stated by a vendor. This option will address all the temp concerns if required by Viper owners. For the Street w/cats or the Track.

Thanks for your consideration & any questions please don't hesitate to call / email.

[email protected]

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=:usa:

Attachments

• =BAD BOYZZ SERIES= ARH ACRX-Track results.jpg
    =BAD BOYZZ SERIES= ARH ACRX-Track results.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_5403 (4).jpg
    IMG_5403 (4).jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5323 (1).jpg
    IMG_5323 (1).jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_5315 (5).jpg
    IMG_5315 (5).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 99
  • =BAD BOYZZ SERIES=.jpg
    =BAD BOYZZ SERIES=.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

That is a very good question of what are you trying to get with your headers. We can all post up good dyno sheets. Lets look at some real world performance.

M&M Performance headers

1/4 mile 10.76 @ 133 mph
1 mile 190mph (world record)
No cel light or burnt wires
Best price
Ceramic coated for less underhood heat
VCA web site sponsor
Viper owners producing headers for the Viper community

I will say that all of the brands listed here make a top quality product so you can't go wrong with whatever you do.

OP
OP
K

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow very impressive! Tough desion, I want as much power under the curve and overall as possiable.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

We have done quite a bit of header testing over the years and the merge vs. tri-y header debate has been a hot topic. I have gone over all this many times and if you check the old posts you will see what we have found. I recently made a post outlining the pros and cons of both headers on a Gen 4.

I have not done a back to back comparison of both headers (tri-y and merge) on the same Gen 4 car. If you have tri-y headers on your G4 then I would not change them out cause you are sort of splitting hairs.

We have learned quite a bit about these new cars as of late, one very important thing is that you get the balance of parts right. For the most peak power I would go with a Merge header, no cats and Corsa Exhaust (3 inch in). the MP Controller, a ported lower manifold, oil seperator and 93-95 Octane fuel. Power numbers really vary from car to car but expect close to 600rwhp. I prefer our parts, install and dyno testing.

Now this package might be much too loud for many of you. For a little less noise I would use a high flow cat and the stock muffler. All these packages are for "off road use only". For a emissions friendly package try our stage 1 kit.

DC Performance: Proven Performance

We are constantly testing, so I will post new imformation as we get it. Our current stage 2 package has given very repatable results.

Hope this helps.

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For the most peak power I would go with a Merge header, no cats and Corsa Exhaust (3 inch in). the MP Controller, a ported lower manifold, oil seperator and 93-95 Octane fuel. Power numbers really vary from car to car but expect close to 600rwhp. I prefer our parts, install and dyno testing.

Can we get more info on the oil seperator ?

OP
OP
K

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We have done quite a bit of header testing over the years and the merge vs. tri-y header debate has been a hot topic. I have gone over all this many times and if you check the old posts you will see what we have found. I recently made a post outlining the pros and cons of both headers on a Gen 4.

I have not done a back to back comparison of both headers (tri-y and merge) on the same Gen 4 car. If you have tri-y headers on your G4 then I would not change them out cause you are sort of splitting hairs.

We have learned quite a bit about these new cars as of late, one very important thing is that you get the balance of parts right. For the most peak power I would go with a Merge header, no cats and Corsa Exhaust (3 inch in). the MP Controller, a ported lower manifold, oil seperator and 93-95 Octane fuel. Power numbers really vary from car to car but expect close to 600rwhp. I prefer our parts, install and dyno testing.

Now this package might be much too loud for many of you. For a little less noise I would use a high flow cat and the stock muffler. All these packages are for "off road use only". For a emissions friendly package try our stage 1 kit.

DC Performance: Proven Performance

We are constantly testing, so I will post new imformation as we get it. Our current stage 2 package has given very repatable results.

Hope this helps.

Ok so I want as much power as possiable, but not crazy loud. If it came out the back like the GTS I would want loud and proud. So If I go ACRX headers and high flow cats and Corsa will I get close to 600 horse. With Mopar and lower intake. Or if i keep the stock car back??:dunno:

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

With the stock mufflers and high flow cats you will make about 585rwhp. Thats respectable.

The oil seperator reduces the knock threshold of the engine by keeping oil and oil vapor from entering the intake manifold. Oil vapor promotes knock, if the engine knocks (pings or detonates) then the computer will pull timing lead and that hurts the power.

For those interested in performance Viper parts, we provide complete technical support with any purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper