Hemi Viper

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Went to a local Cruise nite & found a 94 R/T with a 528 Hemi. Owner says 900 HP with an automatic Trans. Very good looking.:omg: Will get pictures soon & post. Anyone else running V8 ?:dunno:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would you take out a V10 for a V8? Sure there are more parts available and it's lighter but it's the heart and soul of a Viper.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some have changed out engines to fit in certain race groups.

Sir Hiss was the first drag viper with a big block V8 installed. Think it also later got an automatic transmission and tubbed out rear with solid axle.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Firs time that I saw a Hemi in a Viper was around 2001 or so.. at the time I was working at the Featherstone Rd. Viper engineering facility in Michigan. There was a mechanic there that built a tube chassis & tubbed drag car using OEM Viper GTS body parts. It made the rounds at different drag strips, then it was for sale on ebay many years ago, maybe somebody has some pics... otherwise I have some pics somewhere.... but it'd be an adventure digging through a box of CDs to find them...

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think that's cool! I love the V10, but I'd also love to see and hear a Viper rumble with the one of a kind sound a V8 makes, especially a 528 big block HEMI!

Pioneers... I love em!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting technical note is that the V=10 viper motor weighs less than the V-8 Hemi.

Think there would be a ton of interest in a V-10 Challenger.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think that Darryl Weflen's Hemi Viper goes 7s in Alcohol class? He's in Edmonton Alberta (and Phoenix?). He also bought a 298mph Viper GTS. 1100hp normally aspirated.

Oh and he has a slightly modified Blue/white GTS

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
someone asked me today why the viper v10 isn't a hemi.:dunno: any good answers?

Hemi engine is too wide to fit into a Viper chassis.

SRT engineers looked at the idea for the Gen 4 as well as the idea of making the V10 into an evenfire engine, but they didn't do that.

Can't remember exactly where that info came from, (Viper magazine story? SRT engineers workshop at VOI X?)

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was told that hemi heads do not flow any better than the current GEN Viper heads, so no value beyond marketing (and looks)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was told that hemi heads do not flow any better than the current GEN Viper heads, so no value beyond marketing (and looks)

Maybe. But I wonder if there is something to the original HEMI head design, the ones that are an actual hemispherical chamber rather than the flat-faced opposing valves of the new HEMI design.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Firs time that I saw a Hemi in a Viper was around 2001 or so.. at the time I was working at the Featherstone Rd. Viper engineering facility in Michigan. There was a mechanic there that built a tube chassis & tubbed drag car using OEM Viper GTS body parts. It made the rounds at different drag strips, then it was for sale on ebay many years ago, maybe somebody has some pics... otherwise I have some pics somewhere.... but it'd be an adventure digging through a box of CDs to find them...

The car you are most likely thinking about is now Lee Saunders car. It's back to V10 with twin turbos. It was/is actually a stock Viper frame with a solid rear axle. Mike Robbins of Ringgold Dodge bought it and ran it with the hemi for a few years then sold it to Lee. I flew Mike to Detroit to check it out...needless to say I fell in love with it :D

You must be registered for see images

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car you are most likely thinking about is now Lee Saunders car. It's back to V10 with twin turbos. It was/is actually a stock Viper frame with a solid rear axle. Mike Robbins of Ringgold Dodge bought it and ran it with the hemi for a few years then sold it to Lee. I flew Mike to Detroit to check it out...needless to say I fell in love with it :D

You must be registered for see images

That's it, thanks for scrubbing up my 'ol memory.. forgot it was based on a stock frame. TT V10 suits it soooo much better. Great car.

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Saw lee's car run at Mopar Nationals in Columbus last year. This car is wicked FAST!!!! Absolutely brutal. Lee is a great guy as well, Helped me install my pistol grip shifter at the show.

Last edited by a moderator:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting technical note is that the V=10 viper motor weighs less than the V-8 Hemi.

Think there would be a ton of interest in a V-10 Challenger.

Paul are you sure it weighs more than the current Gen Hemi and not the old V-8 Hemi? The Viper engine is by no means a lightweight. If I hadn't reinforced my engine stand it would have snapped it for sure. I'd love to see and hear a Hemi Viper for sure. Seems like hood clearance would be a major issue.

OP
OP
L

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Please post pics.... I really want to see that '94 hemi car..
This car was recently built by owner. A 94 Red With White Stripes, R/T 10. Also had hole in Hood for 1100 CFM. Carb. Couldn't see Chassis too well because it was @ nite. Also stock rear end.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This car was recently built by owner. A 94 Red With White Stripes, R/T 10. Also had hole in Hood for 1100 CFM. Carb. Couldn't see Chassis too well because it was @ nite. Also stock rear end.

A tease! haha.... Let's see that thing!

R/T 10der

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here it is... Short tease video... onecatnodog [media]http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/Old_Demon/Miscellaneous%20Videos/?action=view&current=20100327160254.flv[/media]
You must be registered for see images attach

R/T 10der

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is one Hemi Viper here in Mile Hi Colorado... onecatnodog [media]http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/onecatnodog/Videos%20at%20the%20Track/?action=view&current=dscf2599.flv[/media]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32