Pre-purchase questions from a newbe...

AKMolkeV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Im just starting to look at the purchase of a Gen.II Viper, I have always loved the car from the first auto show I sat in one back in 1996!!

I have been doing some research and I just have a few questions all of you probably know off the top of your head!!:D

I thinking about a Viper from year range 1998-2002, what do most people regard as the best year in that range...I know there are slight differences in each year like paint color options, traction control, ABS, ECT...each person loves it for a particular reason as well to.

Why can you not get a cold air intake kit for 1999-2002 cars was there something different in these years?? I did see that JMB performance makes a real nice kit:2tu: They don't offer an option through K&N or any of the major places like that, why?

What year did they put this so called "creampuff" cam in the cars? Is there a difference in performance? is one stronger/better than the other?

Im not to concerned with traction control, or ABS so is it better to get an older car without it or are the 2002's way nicer than the 1998's

What year did they start the Graphite Grey color? This is the color Im 90% sure I would pick...love that color!!!:2tu:

Thanks for all of the help everyone seems very helpful and loves these cars!! I hope I can join the ranks of Viper ownership soon!! Aaron from Minnesota...

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steel Grey = 2000 only color
Graphite = 2002 only color
Cam and lifter and piston change was 2000 and up
The car comes stock with a very effective cold air intake. Get the K&N filter and smooth tube package from the ACR, that's all you need. If your seriously considering NOS or a blower then consider the 98-99 cars. If you prefer N/A power boosting, some advantages are gained in the 2000+ cars. Since you don't care about ABS which the 2002 Graphite you love comes with, consider it a bonus (or to some here not). You'll love any year you pick.

Oh by the way.................uh since you haven't figured it out yet........NO Viper comes with traction control or any devices to save you from crashing it.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thinking about a Viper from year range 1998-2002, what do most people regard as the best year in that range...I know there are slight differences in each year like paint color options, traction control, ABS, ECT...each person loves it for a particular reason as well to.
I prefer the 2001 and 2002 models for ABS (and Viper Race Yellow ;))

What year did they put this so called "creampuff" cam in the cars? Is there a difference in performance? is one stronger/better than the other?
I don't understand it all, but here's a thread that might help...
Detonation, Hypereutectic Pistons, Timing....

What year did they start the Graphite Grey color? This is the color Im 90% sure I would pick...love that color!!!:2tu:
Graphite Metallic - 2002
Steel Gray - 2000 (one in 2001, VCA raffle car)
Silver (same color family as above) - 1998 and 1999

Treviso

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,
I sent you a PM, so check your inbox. I know where you can find your car and it isn't too far from you. It checks out with AutoCheck (scores 84) and the Chrysler data base, but you need to have it inspected by a Viper Tech or someone who really knows these cars inside and out. It might cost you a couple hundred bucks, but well worth it. Check your private messages. Here are a few pictures:

Attachments

• !!f3M0v!!2E~$(KGrHqEOKikEuZHw4iSKBLuhToI-0w~~_4.JPG
    !!f3M0v!!2E~$(KGrHqEOKikEuZHw4iSKBLuhToI-0w~~_4.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 16
  • !!f3M0uQBWE~$(KGrHqQOKkIEu,beM5MJBLuhTchdK!~~_4.JPG
    !!f3M0uQBWE~$(KGrHqQOKkIEu,beM5MJBLuhTchdK!~~_4.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 19
  • !!f3M0wg!mE~$(KGrHqUOKjkEubBedqGoBLuhT7097g~~_4.JPG
    !!f3M0wg!mE~$(KGrHqUOKjkEubBedqGoBLuhT7097g~~_4.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 11
  • !!f3M0)w!WE~$(KGrHqUOKjEEuf5gw1UqBLuhUPg96w~~_4.JPG
    !!f3M0)w!WE~$(KGrHqUOKjEEuf5gw1UqBLuhUPg96w~~_4.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 13
  • !!f3M0zQBWE~$(KGrHqUOKjkEubBedqGoBLuhUjpPow~~_4.JPG
    !!f3M0zQBWE~$(KGrHqUOKjkEubBedqGoBLuhUjpPow~~_4.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 11

Treviso

Enthusiast
Reaction score
P.S. I am in no way associated with the car or sales of the car. Just so you know. It is just the car that I almost bought before I found my number one choice, a Final Edition with 380 miles on it. I have PM'd you some more information on the car.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever u think about the gray vipers from a pic times that by 10. Pics don't do the gray or yellow vipers justice. Same with the sapphire.
Pre-00 could support close to 800 hp and post 00 could do 600 but u got abs. I've had both. With abs and without and prefer the abs. Once u panic stop and slide ur tires are done because you've just flat spotted them not to mention my abs viper stopped sooner.
Post 98 had updated wheels if u care.
There are mixed results on which years were faster because of the slight cam change in 2000 which had a less lumpy response.
If u plan on running a blower I'd just rebuild the engine anyway if money permits.
Good luck on ur search.
Whatever u buy just make sure u get it inspected by a vipertech who knows what to look for.
Also k and n has a cold air system as mentioned above.
If u do decide on pre2000 make sure the frame recall was done. Not sure how big an issue this is but it's something the manufacture recommend getting done so...

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
plan your future mods NOW.

the 2001+ ABS brakes are nice but i never wished i had them in mine. i prefer the 97-99 forged cars personally if i was going to mod it with a s/c or tt.

good advice given in this thread

OP
OP
A

AKMolkeV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the info!! Very interesting write up on the forged pistons!!

I'm thinking that all the mods I would want to do is Headers, full exhaust without cats, Filters and smooth intake tubes and then have it tuned. I have no need for 800+ HP...It would be cool though:D

I wish I could run out and buy that Graphite Grey one in Chicago...So So sweet!!!!!!!!!! I'm still saving right now but I'm looking to spend around 35K

What are some common mechanical problems with GenII Vipers in general? (ya know leaks, recalls, stuff that breaks, ECT...)

Thanks again for all the info:2tu:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not that many things go wrong to be honest. if its maintained, dont sweat it.

that cash will find you plenty of cars. just do your homework on it and ask around here. plenty of guys are willing to help you out.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the info!! Very interesting write up on the forged pistons!!

I'm thinking that all the mods I would want to do is Headers, full exhaust without cats, Filters and smooth intake tubes and then have it tuned. I have no need for 800+ HP...It would be cool though:D

That's how we all "think" in the beginning. There was NO WAY I was going to mod mine. It all starts with the K&N filters. You're hooked man. Here, want some more crack. :D

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are some common mechanical problems with GenII Vipers in general? (ya know leaks, recalls, stuff that breaks, ECT...)

Wasn't the water pump an issue with our 01's? Something about the impeller breaking.

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been there, done that my friend! Once I finally decided on a Gen II GTS, it was a matter of finding the best buy for my heard earned $$$. IMHO, for the 90% of us who drive them mainly on the street, enjoy a spirited run most days, and track very little, you can't go wrong with any model. Just have the car checked out before hand to ensure, as best as you can, that it was well maintained. The good thing is, it seems that "most" owners of Vipers, like other high end cars, take very good care of them.

There are numerous low mile (IMHO > 15-20K mils) examples out there. Shop around, get one your happy and comfortable with, and you'll be smiling from ear to ear everytime you take it out :2tu:

OP
OP
A

AKMolkeV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did read something about the water pumps on a particular year...not sure which one though? Also some recall for frame brace or something like that I also read somewhere.

I have two friends with Corvettes and they think there the best thing on the road...(Nothing wrong with them, I just don't personally like them...Plus you see to many!)

I cant wait to laugh my ass off when I smoke them in a Viper:lmao: P.S I'm not telling them I'm looking at them, I'm just going to show up with it one day!!!:D

V

Venomiss

Since you are from Minnesota maybe try and catch up with some local owners.

Viper Club of Minnesota

You just missed a meeting but I'd bet if you emailed the officers they might invite you to the next event? A good place to ask questions in person and find out if anyone has a car for sale too.