GEN 1 Market?

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys;

I have a GEN 3 Coupe and am considering adding a very clean low mile GEN 1. 94', Red, around 3,000 miles, no air and 100% mint. Can you guys help me understand the market cost for this car?

I am thinking somewhere in the 30s (high?, mid?, low?) since it is 100% original, all documentation, one owner car with no stories. Lots of GEN 1s out there with stories that are cheaper and in mid to low 20s. Ths car was just not driven hard or barely at all.

I know the 94' Red RT/10s were the largest number of cars made of the GEN 1s so collectibility is questionable, unless no A/C is more collectible. Not sure.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Soft top, etc., it's all there. Not sure if any recalls or if the head gaskets were done or needed to be done. I doubt anything was done with the car other than changing oil. everything else is 100% original.

Help?

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on a lot of things .... would this purchase be purely for collectability? I would say <35K .... there are a number of low mileage Gen1's out there for under 30K. The real question is what do you think it is worth? The investment value will fluctuate significantly...in 20 years, it could be worth less, same, or a lot more. Only time will tell.
Heck of a fun car though, seems a shame for them to only look out the window of the garage to see other cars play

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stock exhaust and no a/c? That's a good reason to leave it in the garage except for winter time. Is it a striped car?

94 was the highest production year for Vipers at 3083 units. About 2,200 were Red. International Viper Registry

I'd check to see if the leather was dried out or had been treated on a regular basis (maintainance schedule?). That year car came with Cast 17" wheels and Goodyears? Original tires would need replacement before driving as hp tires are only good for 6 years. 16 years too old.

US Gen 1 Vipers weren't allowed to be imported into Canada because of the front bumper differences. Only about 430 Cdn Vipers before 98.

Suggest minimium collector value for Red 94s.

Ted

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems that people really want the a/c in these cars. The interior heats up on the nice sunny days that they are normally driven. If you watch Gen1s on ebay you can see how much more action the a/c cars get. Hardtops and hard windows also affect value. Not reasons to stay away from the car just a good negotiation point and nobody wants to overpay. The red cars are nice but black is my favorite for Gen1s...

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am assuming (hoping) that the 92 Gen 1 (223/285) will raise in the coming 10 years. With the top and window's off, I don't really mind the hot feet.

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys;

My thoughts were in the mid $30s. As I have had no real experience with the GEN I cars before, you answered some of my questions. I would have thought no A/C was the ticket since that is the "pure race car" image the original GEN I commanded, but I guess my thinking was off on that feature. Car is not a striped car.

I was thinking of picking it up as just a nice car to drive on sunny days where there is not a cloud in the sky. Keep it 100% stock and just enjoy it, UPS sounding exhaust and all. My GEN III has full Bellanger system on it which really woke the car up but it can be pretty loud if driven a lot.

On collectibility, I guess, as long as it did not drop like a stone, that is my only fear. Beyond that, just a nice fair weather cruiser.

Wanted to really go with a 92' but doubt I will find a decent one for mid-30s with low miles. Don't want to spend more than mid 30s and the 1969 Mach 1 in my collecton needs to be let go to make room.

Just food for thought! Thanks again.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would think the no A/C thing wouldn't be such a big deal but look at how many guys pay to put in back in ACRs after they pay to remove it as 1 example... Even early muscle car resto-mods seem to sell better at auction with A/C... It seems like every few weeks or so somebody on this site will start a thread about adding A/C to a car that didn't come with it and it rarely seems feasible...

Just my observation...

Thanks guys;

My thoughts were in the mid $30s. As I have had no real experience with the GEN I cars before, you answered some of my questions. I would have thought no A/C was the ticket since that is the "pure race car" image the original GEN I commanded, but I guess my thinking was off on that feature. Car is not a striped car.

I was thinking of picking it up as just a nice car to drive on sunny days where there is not a cloud in the sky. Keep it 100% stock and just enjoy it, UPS sounding exhaust and all. My GEN III has full Bellanger system on it which really woke the car up but it can be pretty loud if driven a lot.

On collectibility, I guess, as long as it did not drop like a stone, that is my only fear. Beyond that, just a nice fair weather cruiser.

Wanted to really go with a 92' but doubt I will find a decent one for mid-30s with low miles. Don't want to spend more than mid 30s and the 1969 Mach 1 in my collecton needs to be let go to make room.

Just food for thought! Thanks again.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you're looking at the investment value as a primary concern. Having owned several gen 1 cars and watched the inevitable slide to the low 20s.. well, I have to agree with Ted on this one. There are thousands of red gen 1 cars out there... Many in very nice, original condition.

Now if you want it for the pure enjoyment of an American icon, well it's hard to go wrong with gen 1...

I cannot comment on prices.. other than to admit I'd love it if people start paying 30s again for these cars!

:drive:

Last edited:

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coloviper, I'm not an expert but a 3K '94 can bring low 30's. On a 3K car I don't know if A/C moves the price? A 50K 94 with a clean body normally sells for at least 20K, depreciation will be very low for you. If you're looking at collectability who knows what they'll do?? If your looking for a weekend driver, might want to find a 20K '03 that can be bought for $5K more. I love my Gen I, I've had it since 96 and will probably never sell it, but, they don't build them like they used too. Those vipers are old school, if you've only owned a Gen III, suggest you drive one first. Also, need to see that the head gaskets are done, check the hood for cracks on the passenger side by hood air-inlet and you'll need tires. Good luck with your purchase!

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not buy a 3K mile Gen 1 with no A/C if I was planning on driving the car at all. If you are looking to buy a museum piece to store and not drive, I would say market somewhere from 33-35K.

Will definitely need head gaskets replaced as well as most likely a few other dried out gaskets replaced if you plan to drive it. They are pretty warm inside to drive once heated up even on a 75 degree day. I drive mine top off and A/C on most of the time.

20K mile cars regularly driven and maintained with A/C, head gaskets done and hardtop and hard windows seem to be going for around 28-30K right now and would make a much better car to own if you plan to drive it at all.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The A/C on the car is almost worthless without a good top and windows. It will do you some good with the soft top and factory windows, but not much more. The car will be cooler with the top off and moving than with the A/C on and the top/windows. The only time the A/C pays off is when you are stopped. If you get a hard top and real windows, then the A/C starts to get adequate. That's coming from a Texas person.

I'd suggest that mid 30's is high, given the market out there for Gen1 cars. If you are looking for a specific combination, then it might be worth it. If I were going to pay that much money, I'd be looking at a '95 last 300 side exhaust in that condition.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO AC is a big plus and I would not own one without it. I had a Red '94 for a few years and it helped in the hot Maryland summers - we usually had the windows in and top off and the cold air really helped, especially the crotch blower on the driver's side. And since I am in Florida now my next one will have to have AC...still looking for that right Red '94 or '95 to come along.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently I live that far away as well. Let me know if I can help too. I'd be happy to look at it.

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys;

I really appreciate the input. It is funny as reading through your responses and my comments to those responses, it pretty much screams to me to the fact that I would like to buy a GEN I to drive on nice days but more so, I really do want it for future "potential" collectibility. Since my ultimate goal is to have one of each GEN in the collection, (like so many others), that most likely means I am really looking for either a 92' or a 95 "last 300" car. Might mean I end up paying a bit more than I thought when I looked at this venture, but would have no regrets at that point. 69' Mach1 still would have to go or trade to make it work.

On a personal note, it is a hard pill to swallow to own a black vehicle again. I think they look awesome, but after the last Black vehicle I owned, I vowed never again. Way to hard to upkeep to be pristine!

Rick

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys;

On a personal note, it is a hard pill to swallow to own a black vehicle again. I think they look awesome, but after the last Black vehicle I owned, I vowed never again. Way to hard to upkeep to be pristine!

Rick

Sounds like you might want a GREEN RT10. That color is awesome, rare and NOT black

Ted

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow.....im told by many dealers and individuals that my beautiful 5600 mile 01 Bumblebbee is only worth 32k and as much as 37k.....everything stood still from 92-02 across 2 gens of viper,who knew?

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow.....im told by many dealers and individuals that my beautiful 5600 mile 01 Bumblebbee is only worth 32k and as much as 37k.....everything stood still from 92-02 across 2 gens of viper,who knew?

Yah, Dealer buys at wholesale and sells at retail. Low mileage isn't worth hug bucks anymore, but high mileage really does lower the value. You're correct that a Gen 2 is woth more. Talk to a different Dealer. There's so many Dealers that you could spend days speaking to dealers until you find one that will tell you what you want to hear.

For a real value look in the VCA classifieds. Last car I bought was listed in these classifieds last month. It cost me over $40,000 by the time I paid for inspection and tires.

Ted

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure Gen2 is worth more[I guess its not in 20s though,YET].Seems to big difference when looking at gen3s for a possible new toy to play with.They are still 50 plus for nice lower mile vehicles at dealerships if you want to trade. Many thousands difference and dont even look at gen 4,not even close.Sure its best to sell it yourself but nothing really moves there,who knew the market would get so depressed.Ive had several vipers but its getting frustrating.Looking a different brands now and may come back when a venom red gen4 gets in 30s....shouldnt be long!Keeping really low miles as a strategy is fool hardy .Drive the hell outta it.As far as a collector car most of us will be riding around in motorized wheel chairs pickin raisins outta our diapers before our beloved snakes do any thing there.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nasty.

Gen 2 and 3s are usually the same value. Runcraps and no coupe (for a street driven race car) lowered their popularity and even last year the Gen 3s were equal value to the Gen 2s. I have noticed that several Gen 3s sold for a higher value than an equivalent Gen 2. Anther reason for an increase in Gen 3 values could be that NOW they can be mdoified with the SCT. Even Roe Racing makes a TS Blower kit for the Gen 3 now.

Keeping in mind that Ge3s only got coupes in 06. If someone is looking for an all weather, highway, Daily Driver, race car, the choices are severely limited to GTS and the few coupes and Gen4 coupes. Not that I'm saying convertibles can't race or be daily drivers, but they are severely limited in that capacity. Same problem with the Gen 1s.

Ted

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth