Horseshoe Curve Cruise May 15th

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To all, we are going to cruise from Harrisburg Pa to the Horseshoe Curve in Altoona Pa on May 15th. We plan to be on the road by 09:00 because of the length of the run. We will be leaving from the Best Western Hotel again. Hotel rooms are available for both Friday and Saturday nights for a Viper Club discount rate of $69.00, just mention that it is for the Viper Club when you call. I have 10 rooms set aside for those that may be interested in staying Friday, Saturday or both. We also have a hospitality room available for us at no charge to the club (provided we have a few rooms booked). They have continental breakfast and full service restaurant as well. For those of you that stayed there this past weekend, please let me know how the accomodations were so I know whether or not to continue using them.
Best Western
815 S Eisenhower Blvd
Middletown Pa 17057
717-939-1600
We will be including a poker run for this event with half the proceeds benefitting the Childrens Miracle Network. The poker run portion is not mandatory as we know some people may not be able to stay with us the entire day or just may not wish to play (I saw some folks luck or lack of at the horse track:D), no problem, please feel free to join in for the cruise. We will be stopping for lunch shortly after our visit at the Curve (location to be determined), but I promise NO stone parking lots:nono:. I will be finalizing the route in the next week to check for changes (construction etc) but the current route has all types of roads included from Highway to curvy mountain roads. After returning to Harrisburg, based on the number of people, we will plan on gathering for dinner in the evening.

The Horseshoe Curve for those that are not familiar with it's history was a high profile site during WWII when it was on ******'s top 10 target list to be destroyed due to it's crucial role in rail traffic to the East Coast. Many families of German and Japanese descent from the surrounding areas were questioned and detained by the FBI during that period.

OP
OP
P

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hold off on the hotel reservations for a couple of days, I am getting bad reviews from folks that stayed at the Best Western.....I will follow up and post any changes in the next couple of days.

OP
OP
P

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To all, we are going to cruise from Harrisburg Pa to the Horseshoe Curve in Altoona Pa on May 15th. We plan to be on the road by 09:00 because of the length of the run. We will be leaving from the SpringHill Suites by Marriott Hotel in Harrisburg. Hotel rooms are available for both Friday and Saturday nights for a Viper Club discount rate of $119.00, (sorry for the increase in hotel prices, but this is a very nice place, there is no thru traffic, and cars parked on the front side of the hotel can not be seen from the road) just mention that it is for the Viper Club when you call. I have 10 rooms set aside for those that may be interested in staying Friday, Saturday or both.

SpringHill Suites
15 Capital Drive off Kohn Rd
Harrisburg, Pa 17110
1-717-540-5100

SpringHill Suites Harrisburg Hershey: Spacious hotel accommodations in Harrisburg

We will be including a poker run for this event with half the proceeds benefitting the Childrens Miracle Network. The poker run portion is not mandatory as we know some people may not be able to stay with us the entire day or just may not wish to play (I saw some folks luck or lack of at the horse track:D), no problem, please feel free to join in for the cruise. We will be stopping for lunch shortly after our visit at the Curve (location to be determined), but I promise NO stone parking lots:nono:. I will be finalizing the route in the next week to check for changes (construction etc) but the current route has all types of roads included from Highway to curvy mountain roads. After returning to Harrisburg, based on the number of people, we will plan on gathering for dinner in the evening.
The Horseshoe Curve for those that are not familiar with it's history was a high profile site during WWII when it was on ******'s top 10 target list to be destroyed due to it's crucial role in rail traffic to the East Coast. Many families of German and Japanese descent from the surrounding areas were questioned and detained by the FBI during that period.

Here is the updated plan, please let me know if you plan to attend

OP
OP
P

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update to the itinerary, we will be having lunch at Jethro's in Altoona, Viper friendly parking, excellent food. Thanks to Scott Bryan and Courtesy Dodge for making this possible.:2tu:

OP
OP
P

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time for a quick roll call, who's planning to make the trip..

BriansViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carmen please count us in. Calling today to book our room for Sat evening. Looks like a nice run!!! Looking forward to seeing you all there..

Brian & Penny.....:2tu:

OP
OP
P

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, here is the list of who is coming to this point,

Brian and Penny
Elam and Danita
George and Carol
me and Vanessa
Bill and Dell

surely there are more:dunno:

OP
OP
P

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, here is the list of who is coming to this point,

Brian and Penny
Elam and Danita
George and Carol
me and Vanessa
Bill and Dell
Ric and ?

surely there are more:dunno:

added another car....still looking for more

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My grandmother is in the hospital and not doing too well...she is 93. However, as it stands currently, I am planning to attend. Called the hotel to reserve the room but told me they were busy and to call back in the AM? :omg: So, I'll take care of that tomorrow. Anyone else joining us? Be really nice to get 10-12 cars for this one.

OP
OP
P

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My grandmother is in the hospital and not doing too well...she is 93. However, as it stands currently, I am planning to attend. Called the hotel to reserve the room but told me they were busy and to call back in the AM? :omg: So, I'll take care of that tomorrow. Anyone else joining us? Be really nice to get 10-12 cars for this one.

Brian, sorry to hear about your grandmother, hope things turn around for her.

I called the hotel, and left a message for their director of sales to ensure that we can get some more folks registered under the Viper Club, let me know how you make out. If you have any trouble please call me.

OP
OP
P

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian and Penny
Elam and Danita
George and Carol
me and Vanessa
Bill and Dell
Ric and ?
Dave and Betty
Brian and Janell
Sean and Kathy

added 2 more....still looking for more
:drive:

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are getting close, we have 9 cars so far, if anybody else is interested let me know so I can give an adjusted count to the restaurant. If anybody still needs a hotel room, please call me asap, they are working very well with us as far as procrastinators;)

Looking forward to seeing everyone Saturday or Friday night for some of you. This is a nice ride :drive:, the trip up is mostly highway to stay on time, the ride back is almost all back roads and very scenic.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may be able to swing up just for the afternoon. I still have to rearrange some things if possible.

OP
OP
P

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may be able to swing up just for the afternoon. I still have to rearrange some things if possible.

Sounds good, hope you can make it, I will PM you my wifes phone number so you can let us know where you will be:2tu:

OP
OP
P

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I don't see some of you at the hotel tonight, I will see you all in the morning, weather should be good all day:2tu:

OP
OP
P

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For anybody that wants to join in along the way, we will be leaving Harrisburg at 09:00 and we should be at the Number 1 Cycle Shop about 10:30ish and then be at Jethro's in Altoona, 417 Parkview Ln Altoona, PA 16601 (814) 942-2178 about noon....after lunch we will be going to the Horseshoe Curve before heading back to Harrisburg:drive:

Ian, sorry you can't make it