Recommendations Please

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ladies and Gents - Got a few things I need to do to my 97 B/W GTS over the next month, and need to get some recommendations from the seasoned Viper owners/customizers...

1) Need to replace the water pump seal in the front of the motor, and understand I need to pull the intake to accomplish this. While I'm in there I'm also going to replace the power steering pulley/bracket that I've heard can go bad. Anything else I should do while it's apart? Thermostat do any good?

2) While I have the intake off, I'm going to yank the valve covers and have them refinished in blue to match the car. What's the best way to do that, powder coating or paint? Should I have a clear coat put on them? Anything else I should do while they are off the car? I may replace the roller rockers with some 1.7s.

3) I want to get some nice brake rotors. Are cross drilled/sloted rotors the way to go? I've heard they are known to wear out easily and crack, but also heard they've come a long way since inception. What's the concensus and what should I look for when shopping for rotors?

4) I'd also like to upgrade the brakes, so looking at the rear brake upgrade. While I do this, I want to have the calipers refinished to match the car as well. Who should I go to for quality powder coating. Should I put a clear coat on them as well? The stock finish has bubbled, and don't want that to happen again.

Thanks for your time!
Jason
Hampton Roads, VA

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ladies and Gents - Got a few things I need to do to my 97 B/W GTS over the next month, and need to get some recommendations from the seasoned Viper owners/customizers...

1) Need to replace the water pump seal in the front of the motor, and understand I need to pull the intake to accomplish this. While I'm in there I'm also going to replace the power steering pulley/bracket that I've heard can go bad. Anything else I should do while it's apart? Thermostat do any good?

The water pump is leaking? If it's just the water pump leaking you do not have to remove the intake. Yes replacing the PS bracket/pulley is good insurance, if the engine is stock I wouldn't even worry with a thermostat at this time, unless having cooling issues. The Roe fany controller is a nice/cheap cooling upgrade.

2) While I have the intake off, I'm going to yank the valve covers and have them refinished in blue to match the car. What's the best way to do that, powder coating or paint? Should I have a clear coat put on them? Anything else I should do while they are off the car? I may replace the roller rockers with some 1.7s.

Paint or Powdercoat is entirely up to you, just make sure whoever does it understands that the valve covers are made of magnesium. Roller rockers are a nice upgrade.

3) I want to get some nice brake rotors. Are cross drilled/sloted rotors the way to go? I've heard they are known to wear out easily and crack, but also heard they've come a long way since inception. What's the concensus and what should I look for when shopping for rotors?

Rotors are entirely up to your choice too. 2 piece are always a good choice due to them being lighter and in turn having less rotating mass. Yes drilled will eventually have stress cracks, how soon depends on if you track the car or not. Am I saying they are bad? Nope, I'll be buying some drilled/slotted rotors for my car myself.

4) I'd also like to upgrade the brakes, so looking at the rear brake upgrade. While I do this, I want to have the calipers refinished to match the car as well. Who should I go to for quality powder coating. Should I put a clear coat on them as well? The stock finish has bubbled, and don't want that to happen again.

For the rear brakes, on your car the cheapest and a great upgrade would be Tom's 40mm rear caliper upgrade.

Thanks for your time!
Jason
Hampton Roads, VA

See above :)

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cammer - Thanks for the input. I don't think it's the water pump itself, rather the seal where the pump mates up to the engine. I talked to Chuck about it, and he said the intake has to come off to replace it. I probably didn't explain it right, but I can tell from looking at it that I'll need to take the intake off, and likely the hood to make life much easier on me.

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's what I was asking. I take it from your post that powdercoating is the way to go, no? How about the valve covers? I've been told they are hard to powder coat since they are made of magnesium.

gonna powdercoat the intake to match i hope. wasnt sure from your post.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your id caused me to think your Viper was an '01. Since you posted a 97 I edited my post.

Powder coating is the best choice for engine and brake parts. Clear? Why?

Brake Rotors are an upgrade and slotted are best if used on the track much. Slotted/drilled are best for stopping and are reliable for street useage, not so great for racing. Lightweight rotors are an excellent upgrade as they improve performance (slightly) in every aspect. They lighten the car 9# per rotor.

I bought EBC Greens for my brake upgrade and they caused dust to coat my wheels as soon as I touched the brakes so I switched both my cars to EBC Reds (ceramic pads). Although JonB's prices are under $100, it's still kind of expensive to replace new pads because you ordered the wrong material of pads.

I upgraded my 2001 GTS to Roe Racing 14" front brakes and I fully recommend that as an upgrade for all Gen 2s. My opinion is that these upgrades will outperform the stock Gen 3 in stopping distance

Ted

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
powdercoating them is easy, its the stripping that makes it tough. any good coater can do them.

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Ted. Obviously I'm not familiar with clear coating parts. I just know I've seen some glossy finishes on some Viper engines, and wasn't sure if it's from clear coating or not. My Viper is a street car, not interested in tracking it so will probably go with the slotted/drilled rotors. I'm with you on the ceramic pads, I've done the ferro carbon and don't like them. I'll have to think about the 14 inch brake upgrade.

Your id caused me to think your Viper was an '01. Since you posted a 97 I edited my post.

Powder coating is the best choice for engine and brake parts. Clear? Why?

Brake Rotors are an upgrade and slotted are best if used on the track much. Slotted/drilled are best for stopping and are reliable for street useage, not so great for racing. Lightweight rotors are an excellent upgrade as they improve performance (slightly) in every aspect. They lighten the car 9# per rotor.

I bought EBC Greens for my brake upgrade and they caused dust to coat my wheels as soon as I touched the brakes so I switched both my cars to EBC Reds (ceramic pads). Although JonB's prices are under $100, it's still kind of expensive to replace new pads because you ordered the wrong material of pads.

I upgraded my 2001 GTS to Roe Racing 14" front brakes and I fully recommend that as an upgrade for all Gen 2s. My opinion is that these upgrades will outperform the stock Gen 3 in stopping distance

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Clear coating is for autobody paint and polished Aluminium wheels.

Powder coating is the smoothest toughtest and most reliable intake, valve cover and suspension COATING available. I worked in a mattress plant powder coating fold-a-bed frames back in the "old" days. It's an electrical application and oven baked. There are a few guys here that are experts at powder coating and I've seen posts that Home powdercoating kits are available.

The 14" front brake upgrade is like Tom's rear caliper upgrade and the difference can be felt. If you can afford it, it's one of the first modifications I recommend. One 'bump/minor accident' prevented easily pays for the brake upgrades. I was told by insurance that the front nose (cover) is worth $6,000, Headlights huge bucks.

You just can't stop fast enough. I don't think that Ceramic rotors at thousands of dollars each to stop a couple feet shorter aren't "reasonable" or I would have installed those. Lightweight slotted 14" is what the 09 ACRs have.

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth