A/C Recharge

ddasilva99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am a new Viper owner and this is my first post :)

My A/C is not blowing cold air and I have decided to go with a DIY A/C Seal and Recharge Kit. This is my first time using a kit and I would appreciate your help fixing my A/C issue.

How many bottles (or Oz) of refrigerant does a 2004 SRT/10 take? Where is the low and hi pressure ports? Do you recommend a particular procedure for sealing and recharging my A/C?

I would appreciate your help with my A/C problem.

Thanks in Advance,
D

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would probably just bring it to a service station so they can use an AC leak detector with ultraviolet light, because it
could just all leak out and you'll be wasting your time and money. ;)

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
find the leak 1st, before using a sealant, fast or slow leak matters

:search: search ac leaks, it may be a simple o-ring (common on gen 2's, not sure if the same for gen 3's)

home kit is fine to add, get 1 with a gauge, very doable

OP
OP
D

ddasilva99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick responses. The dealer put in the dye when I bought the car last August. The hole must be very small because it took several before my A/C stopped working.

Do you think the dye would show up on my car since it was originally pumped into the AC system last August?

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would probably just bring it to a service station so they can use an AC leak detector with ultraviolet light, because it
could just all leak out and you'll be wasting your time and money. ;)

+1..

My '94 still blows cold air.... You likely have a leaking seal but if you want to shoot some 134a into it.. well, buy a can from the auto parts place near you and follow the directions.

I'd advise against "stop leak -in a can" solutions... they don't work for long and can create other problems.... Just top it with straight 134a. If it leaks out soon, it's time to locate the leak as stated above...

my .01, Carry on gents....

OP
OP
D

ddasilva99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I will start to source the leak immediately. Do you think the dye would show up under the light since it was placed in my A/C system last August?

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not sure about the dye still being there or not, if it is a slow leak may be hard to see anyway, even if empty now. take it to someone with a sniffer.

i've been searching for the o-ring thread, to no avail (maybe in the ill write ups now) - but this one is helpful: http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...no-heat-front-vents-but-vents-windshield.html

google "red angel" if it is not an o-ring - don't use old school sealants

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it were me, I would get someone to charge the system the right way and have them pull a vacuum and then recharge it. As for the leak, it could be something as little as a leak in the stem. The schrader valve is always a good thing to replace as they are prone to leak. When you have a person charge the system ,they will have the gauges on it and can monitor for the leak and see how long the system stays charged. Also, I would put in a new can of freon with the dye in it. That way it is fresh and not hardened up. Good luck and I hope you find the leak.

You should run your A/C during the winter to lubricate the seals.

OP
OP
D

ddasilva99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you all for posting your advice. I really appreciate it. I'm going to run the dye in the system and then try to track it down. I'm trying to find the UV light/Yellow Goggles kit in Canada to trace the dye and it is proving to be a difficult task.

Perhaps I will take it to a Garage and ask them to fix the issue?

Thanks Again,
D

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The dye would still be there, so if you took it to most any gas station and asked if they had the glasses and light they would be able to see where the leak is.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
D,

If you still have further issues and need a place to take it, PM me. I know a few Viper friendly places that can help you. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4