Help! I'm a Viper ******

duckfan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just purchased a '97 GTS that leaks oil out of the front of the engine. I have read the mail about timing chain cover leaks and think that's the prob. I called my local Dodge dealer and he insists the pan gasket must be replaced with the timing cover gaskets, the pan gasket costing $170. Can anyone tell me if removing the pan is necessary to remove the timing cover? If so any place on the West Coast to buy a cheaper pan gasket?
Thanks

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Duckfan and welcome the wonderful world of Vipers!

1st, The pan gasket does indeed cost a bunch of bucks. $160-170 sounds about right. It is a little more than a gasket as it is stamped from aluminum and has gasket cast into groves on both sides.

2nd, This is the first that I have heard that it needs to be replaced to do the timing cover gasket repair.

Maybe someone else can chime in!

Where are you located?

V

Venomiss

Last edited by a moderator:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't worry, after the timing chain cover labor costs you won't even notice the pan gasket price.

zoomie

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
ask Chuck Tator. the "Viper Wizard"

Tator's Garage 20 Spring Street South in South Salem, NY 10590
Phone 914-763-3136 Fax 914-763-9507 Email: [email protected]
You must be registered for see images
Welcome to Tator's Garage
Home of the "Viper Wizard"

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You dont have to replace the gasket or remove the pan to do the timing cover. But if the pan gasket has never been changed i would replace it.old style was plastic and would crack and leak new style is aluminum. Much better.

OP
OP
D

duckfan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for verifying that the pan doesn't need to come off. Even though my GTS only has 7800 miles I suppose it's good advice to replace the pan gasket. I just wanted to know if my Dodge Tec knew his **** from that whole in the ground. Apparently not. How about valve cover gaskets? Is it time for those too?
Thanks to everyone for helping me out, I really appreciate it.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The lower the milage, the worse the seals will be.

Rev

This is usually correct. Front seal gone but not the rear seal?

You're really close to JonB since he's in Washdougal. He's also listed in the vendor forums. IF you're looking for a repair shop go to the regional forums and ask the Wash club (or the Oregon club?)

Washington club recently had a track day.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I see that you're listed as an enthusiast, opps, better join the club for all those club disounts. Even after buying a Venom membership (allowing a $300-600 savings) a 10% discount might net the cost of membership for you front seal! I know JonB does a VCA discount and I'm sure that viperpartslarry (close to you as well) and several other vendors offer significant discounts to members.

You might be interested in several of the Wash clubs events. You might want to drive to Mission, BC and join the Wstrn Cda VCA for the Father's Day Show and Shine (Children's Hopsital is main charity) where Fred Kappler BBQs hot dogs and Smokies for all. His wife Eloise and his lovely single daughter Melanie help out. Join the club, good people and good times.

Ted

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't go and replace anything which could leak (but I did), I would replace the point where it is actually leaking. I had the same problem, changed a couple of gaskets for a couple hundred bucks, but it turned out to be the sensors for temp and pressure.
it could be anything around there, clean up the front of the engine, make a little drive and check where it is coming from.

It always appears to be coming from the bottom, but that's just gravity! It could be a problem a bit higher, maybe the oil filter adapter gasket or the oil cooler lines.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Would not consider the oil leak from the timimg chain cover gasket unusual on a (96),97, and 98 Viper...in fact, would be thankful that oil was leaked externally...versus the other way this gasket can fail by mixing oil and coolant!!!

As Mr. Sessions (and Mr. Tator along with Mr. Cragin) will likely confirm, the latter failure, and the associated damage can lead to main bearing problems, etc.

Agree that it's worth to take car to a competent shop without much more driving (if it was my Viper).

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Contact Ken Klickman thru the WAVCA.ORG web site. There are instructions there to contact him. He was the head Viper GURU at Timberline Dodge in Portland B4 Chrysler shut them down. JonB has the knowledge, but it's Ken that actually twirls the wrenches.

PBR

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have the old paper oilpan gasket (1996 and most 1997's) you will want to replace it with the updated aluminum one. Otherwize you will develop a leak in the future. Jack your viper up take a look and see which one you have. It is obvious.

When doing the timing cover gasket there is a few other items that are worth doing while your in there: WaterPump Gasket, FrontCrankSeal, OilFilterConnectionGasket.

Another Common problem on 1997's is the IntakeManifold Gasket. If you want to take care of most of the stuff that could be a possible future issue at onece then have them do this too. Also while the IntakeManifold is off have em do the thermostat&gasket, and replace the pvcvalve&grommet as it is common for them to leak at the connection.

It can save you some $$$ if you join the VCA an order all the parts through Tators Dodge as he gives 20% to VCA members. With this long list of items the disscount adds up quick:)

goodluck

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave