Torn between two cars

Toomanycars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone this is my first post here and I'm hoping you can all offer me some advice.

I'm in the process of buying my first Viper. I'm a Ford guy at heart and currently have a Lightning and a Cobra. I don't know much about the Vipers other than I've always admired them and that I'm now in the financial situation to own one.

Two days ago I put a deposit down on an 03 Viper with 3800 miles on it. Obviously the car is immaculate and it's from a very reputable dealer in Phoenix. Only mods are a short shifter and Borla Exhaust. I was excited and am supposed to pick it up on Friday. That was until I found an 06 today...

So there is an 06 Yellow Coupe in Dallas with a Paxton Novi 2000, intercooler, exhaust and a bunch of other mods and supposedly putting down 750 to the wheels. The guy selling it tells me it was built by DLM which from what I hear is a good shop. I can only see this car through pics and take the guys word for it but I am very interested in the car. I'm kind of torn on which one to buy now since the price is not much different between the two. I would have to buy a plane ticket to Dallas and then drive it home so that would also add to the price of this one.

Any advice for me? I'm a little worried that the 06 may have been beat on given the mods it has. How reliable of a car will it be with the Novi on there?

So my little pro's and con's list looks like this

Pros:
Low mileage
I test drove it and verified it was immaculate
hours drive from my house to pick it up
reputable dealer
mildly modded

cons:
Was hoping for a coupe
Will have to pay tax on this one

Pros:
Love the color
It's a coupe which I really wanted
Tons of power
Built by DLM

Cons:
Triple the mileage of the 03
Have to fly to look at it and drive it home if I like it
Higher price but not by too much
May have been abused at the track?

Thanks again - Chris

Last edited:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
call dlm to find out what he remembers about the car (he is way better than "a good shop")

"Triple the mileage of the 03" is still very low based on the 03 mileage

depends on how track abused it is, but certainly better bang for the buck, body type you want, 3 yrs younger, desirable mods......

if not track abused, get the 06

if you have the time, having to driving it home is a plus

(my 2 cents)

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
call dlm to find out what he remembers about the car (he is way better than "a good shop")

"Triple the mileage of the 03" is still very low based on the 03 mileage

depends on how track abused it is, but certainly better bang for the buck, body type you want, 3 yrs younger, desirable mods......

if not track abused, get the 06

if you have the time, having to driving it home is a plus

(my 2 cents)

What he says.:)

If you like the color of the 06 and like the coupe better, hold out for the right car for you even if the 06, after thorough inspection, does not pan out. I love my yellow GTS and I know I would only enjoy it half as much if it were any other style or color.:2tu:

WillH2010

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give me a call and I can look at the car for you.

Will
Racing Solutions
940-683-0078

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there to chew on regarding the supercharged viper....will the car need a re-tune for the elevation change between where it currently sits and where it will reside? Does the owner have documented proof that DLM built the car? Will it pass your states emission inspection? DLM is located in Florida where there is 93 octane which means that's probably what the car was tuned for. I'm not sure if where you are has that or not, but all I could find was 91 octane last time I was in AZ. I'd have a compression test done as well just to verify that all is well. Also, I'm not sure how it is in Arizona, but I'm pretty sure you will still have to pay a state tax regardless if you buy from a dealer/private seller when you go to have the car registered. The only money you may be saving is off of a dealers tax and the "city tax" that accompanies the state tax.

OP
OP
T

Toomanycars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for those suggestions and I'm aware of having to pay the sales tax when I register. The difference is that the sales tax is divided over five years so if I sell the car before the 5 years is up then I may never have to pay the full sales tax whereas if I buy the 03 I will have to pay it all up front. Also DLM has pictures of this car on their website so I'm positive they built it. I am still going to call them tomorrow with the VIN and see if they know anything about it.

As for emissions it's no big deal on OBDII cars it's just a computer scan and as long as there is no CEL it will pass. As far as the tune goes the Lightning we have was tuned up in Phoenix which is about 1500 feet lower then where I am in Tucson. Nothing about the tune changed when we drove it home and the computer easily compensated for the altitude change so I'd guess the Viper is more than capable of doing the same. We only have 91 octane here but there are a few gas stations around town that sell 100 race gas which is probably the only thing that will go in this car so I can sleep at night.

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
You wouldn't happen to be the guy that popped the engine in his lightning two years back would you? I lived in Tucson for just about a year in 08 and met a ton of enthusiasts there, and one in particular popped his 5.4 and was waiting quite awhile for his forged crankshaft to get finished because a guy died within the company who did the machining for them....Seem to remember talk of a twin turbo setup too. Is that you by chance?

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both cars are great. Two totally different animals though. If you are looking for a weekend show and go car, the DLM car may be the one for you. If you want to enjoy modding the car yourself with basic bolt-ons go for the 03. If your ultimate goal is to have a 700+hp monster def. look at the DLM car because it is much cheaper to buy a Paxton car already built. Modded cars by their nature will be more tempermental than unmodded ones if you plan on driving it a lot. It's all in what your intentions are. 750rwhp is a lot of power for a 1st time Viper owner. I could be wrong, but it takes a special dude or dudett to drive a 700+ rwhp Viper. There is a reason that there are a lot of Paxton Viper for sale these days and I don't beleive it for reliability issues. I think they scare the sh@t out of people and then they decide to sell them. With that being said, I too would one day like to see if I could handle one, but for I'm having fun trying to learn my measily 490 rwhp. LOL

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally If both check out, I d take the 06 coupe with the paxton. Call Doug at DLM and verify and ask the seller for receipts or paperwork.

'Trust'

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd get the coupe. I love coupes. However, it is my understanding that the limit for the hypereutectic piston'd motors are limited to about 700rwhp safely. 750 is pushing it.

OP
OP
T

Toomanycars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You wouldn't happen to be the guy that popped the engine in his lightning two years back would you? I lived in Tucson for just about a year in 08 and met a ton of enthusiasts there, and one in particular popped his 5.4 and was waiting quite awhile for his forged crankshaft to get finished because a guy died within the company who did the machining for them....Seem to remember talk of a twin turbo setup too. Is that you by chance?

No that's not me. I know the guy you are talking about though his name is Taylor. We have an 02 with a Whipple and a few other mods.

OP
OP
T

Toomanycars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both cars are great. Two totally different animals though. If you are looking for a weekend show and go car, the DLM car may be the one for you. If you want to enjoy modding the car yourself with basic bolt-ons go for the 03. If your ultimate goal is to have a 700+hp monster def. look at the DLM car because it is much cheaper to buy a Paxton car already built. Modded cars by their nature will be more tempermental than unmodded ones if you plan on driving it a lot. It's all in what your intentions are. 750rwhp is a lot of power for a 1st time Viper owner. I could be wrong, but it takes a special dude or dudett to drive a 700+ rwhp Viper. There is a reason that there are a lot of Paxton Viper for sale these days and I don't beleive it for reliability issues. I think they scare the sh@t out of people and then they decide to sell them. With that being said, I too would one day like to see if I could handle one, but for I'm having fun trying to learn my measily 490 rwhp. LOL

This car will not be a daily driver as we already have four other cars. I know 750 is a lot in these cars and I know it's going to be a handful but I've driven high horsepower cars most of my life so I think I'm ready for the challenge. If it turns out to be too much I'm sure we can drop the boost a little on it.

OP
OP
T

Toomanycars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like we are going for the 06. Paperwork has been sent. I spoke to Doug at DLM and everything checks out so far.

OP
OP
T

Toomanycars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having them deliver it so it should be here by Saturday or Sunday. Thanks to everyone for their help and advice. Can't wait to take this thing for it's first drive!

Last edited:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TOMANYCARS.

Congratulations on your new Viper. Looks like you picked a good one.

These Paxton cars tend to drive much like normally aspirated Vipers down low in the range, and build boost expotentially as the revs rise.

Keep her in a straight like when at heavy throttle till you get used to her. Shift when the tires break traction in the lower gears, or just enjoy the wheel spin at revs. Fun Fun Fun.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like we are going for the 06. Paperwork has been sent. I spoke to Doug at DLM and everything checks out so far.

Congratulations and good choice. Get ready to be front and center with a S/C YELLOW VIPER.If you are on the street, on the strip, or at car shows you are going to be the center of attention.:2tu:
Enjoy:drive:

OP
OP
T

Toomanycars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everybody! I will have pics of it up as soon as it arrives. Now I guess I need to join the club here huh?

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good choice with the 06. Did the dealer offer an extended warranty on the car with the supercharger? Good Luck with the buy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper