Viper will not go into gear at all? Suggestions?

LuvMyVIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 2000 RT/10 GTS - won't go into gear. Last time I drove it seemed to have driven fine - actually just got it out of the shop for a temperature sensor that went out - today when I go out to start the car, I engage the clutch but it will not go into gear (1st or Reverse) - I tried letting the car warm up to about 180 - still not able to put in gear - doesn't seem to be the usual pressure on the clutch pedal. Any suggestions on a possible remedy and associated costs? I really appreciate your feedback!

LuvMyViper

OP
OP
L

LuvMyVIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good questions - it goes into gear just fine when the car is not started - no apparent leaks - a few drops of oil under the center of the car.

OP
OP
L

LuvMyVIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Give Chuck a call at Tators Dodge as he will have the answer.
is Tators in Salem, NY? Just trying to track down your lead - Looks like you are in The Woodlands and I am in Spring (Benders Landing) - where do you take your car locally for repair? do you take it to the dealer?

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just went through that same problem. First I put in a new clutch master cyclinder.....still same problem.....put in anew slave cyclinder....still same problem.....ended up putting in a new SPEC 3+ clutch and pressure plate and new Aluminum flywheel and finally the problem was fixed....hope your fix is easier and cheaper then mine was. Have fun.... :dunno: :eater:

OP
OP
L

LuvMyVIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ROY - Oh bummer! Well, thanks for the feedback of what you went through perhaps I can shorten the process thanks to your experience. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Viper4Christ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good questions - it goes into gear just fine when the car is not started - no apparent leaks - a few drops of oil under the center of the car.

Then I would go the next step and have your clutch, pressure plate and flywheel checked out as this is probably the heart of the issue.

Like others have said, give Tators a call about it and he'll tell you exactly what to do and look for to find the exact issue without doing anything "extra" for no reason.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You said above that it goes into gear when the engine is off but not when the engine is on. You also said that you had recently had the car in the shop and that this problem developed after you got it back. If the foregoing is true, it would appear that something may have happened to the car while it was in the shop and that the shop should fix the problem. For instance, you might want to check your engine and tranny mounts to see if one or more are now broken. Sometimes, shifting issues arise when there is engine or tranny mount damage because the system is now out of alignment. This would not necessarily show up until the engine is started. Of course as others said above, it could be that here are clutch component issues that also may have been caused by the shop if they took your Viper for one or more spirited "test" drives.

TomH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Through the years mine had done this occasionally, maybe once every 200 starts, I just use second to move a little then it goes into gear just fine.

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As with any troubleshooting, start with the simplest cause and move forward from there. Since your noting that the clutch pedal pressure isn't as it was prior to taking your car to the shop, I'd start with the clutch master cylinder and then the clutch slave cylinder. First have the system bled to remove any air that might be causing the problem.

Have you tried the earlier suggestion and tried putting it in second gear and starting out from there? Did that work? If it shifts smoothly into gears other than first and reverse, you may have an internal gear issue.

Best of luck with it...:2tu: