Need help!! SRT 10 / or older GTS which one to get?

Danny Balon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys whats up i dont post much on here due to i sold my 04 Mamba Viper a little bit ago and switched to a z06 vette. My question is im wanting to get back into another Viper but cant decided which one to go with a GTS with forged internals or a 2003-2005 SRT 10? I am wanting to run a twin turbo set up is there anyone on here with stock internals running boost and what kind of HP numbers are you seeing? Any help would be much appreciated!!:D

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT limits you to around 700rwhp
forged GTS limits you to about 850rwhp safey, more if you are daring.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moey wise Id buy a 32k 1999 FORGED GTS and add the FI of your choice for a safe 800 rwhp..

after owning a gen2 and two gen3's I like the gen3 better for apearance/handling/interior..But IMHO 700 rwhp is the limit on those internals..Honestly I wouldnt go above 675 rwhp just to be safe..

And it's a no brainer that 800 rwhp will eat up 675 rwhp all day..

Not to mention 1999 GTS=32K plus your FI $ and 800 rwhp verses 2003 SRT10 39K plus your FI $ for just 675 rwhp..

Im saying 1996-1999 GTS for your goals

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much you wanna spend for end result?
96-99 gts would be the cheaper route. Anything over 900rwhp I think is a toss up as you'd have to rebuild the gts or set engine for reliable power.

Ucould always buy one with the work already done. Peobably cheapest route.

Why the switch??

BillionDollarDan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Personally I like the gen 3 look a bit more than the gen 2. Roe can do a sweet twin turbo setup on a gen 3 for a very reasonable price too.

I know most people seem to prefer the gen 2 looks for the curves. I just happen to like the gen 3 more

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most people on this forum will just vote for what they currently own. GTS guys swear by the GTS, Gen 3 guys swear by the Gen 3.

Since you've owned a Gen 3 before, go test drive a GTS and see if you like it better. Some do, some don't.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems you first need to ask yourself if want a convertible or a hard top car since 2003-2005 SRT 10s are the former and GTSs are the latter!

OP
OP
D

Danny Balon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate everyones help, Im kinda wishy washy lol i like some stuff about my Vette and i liked some stuff about my Viper. One thing is on the vette performance parts were alot cheaper also if anything broke it was cheaper to fix, but on the other hand i love the ride and looks of my viper it was a real attention grabber not to mention it handled and drove so much better then the Vette. My buddy in Louisville own Fast Track performance i was going to have him build me a twin turbo kit he just did a GTS with the forged internals it made a little over 900hp. He was wanting me to get the GTS also due to the internals being forged.Im a little hesitate about the GTS just due to being older and worried about any problems they might have..... but thanks again for everyones help.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Save yourself a bunch of money and time by buying a Viper already built with boost.

Get one that has had the internals upgraded to handle the hp you want.

Its not all about the HP, but about getting reliable HP. No fun taking your Viper back into the shop all the time to fix things that break. Buy a proven package already done.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Save yourself a bunch of money and time by buying a Viper already built with boost.

Get one that has had the internals upgraded to handle the hp you want.

Its not all about the HP, but about getting reliable HP. No fun taking your Viper back into the shop all the time to fix things that break. Buy a proven package already done.

Like this one ... 802rwhp Paxton, C02 intercooler chiller and Nitrous, etc American Club Racer/ACR means $10-12,000 worth of fully adjustable factory racing Konis! Billet and chromed wheels new tires, brakes, fluids, stereo and brake upgrades. etc. One thing you wnat to keep in mind is that for race courses and drag strips YOU NEED a hardtop/GTS to legally go as fast as stock engine. Roll cages needed for R/T and SRT10s.

ACR, Paxton supercharged NOS = 802rwhp - ViperClub Classifieds

ACRs come factory equipped with 5 point race harness and this is 1 of only 25 Red/silver ACRs built in 2000. Car now has 24,000 miles on it and has been through 2 inspections already. Everything's perfect and engine tests as new (leakdown).

You must be registered for see images

Ted

Last edited: