Sixth gear started jerking today. Help?

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,
My name is David and i recently(sixth months ago) purchased a used 94 rt/10 . It has given me no problems until today when my wife and i decided to cruise a bit. I know sixth gear isn't very functional but i could always cruise above 55 or 60 with no real problems until this morning when i shifted to sixth ,it started jerking like mad. I drove a while in fifth and decided to try again thinking the engine may have just been cold,but still the rough jerking. Can anyone help me with figuring what is causing this? I put premium gas in it last fill up.I just bought lower gears but haven't installed them yet.i Have been having a lot of trouble getting in touch with previous owner to ask about any upgrade that may have been done to engine. Took it to a 'Performance car mechanic for a tune up and he said it sounds like a cam and solid lifters have been installed,but i don't know. Has Belanger headers.Thing is,it never did this until today.Anyone have an idea what this may be? Thanks for any help in advance.
David

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TB synchronisation, spark plugs, plug wires, ... give Chucky a call!:D

OP
OP
M

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for all the great advice. I just called the Dodge dealership here locally and am waiting for a return call to see if they can check it out and also to install some lower gears for me in the Viper. I will tell him about the suggestions i got here from everyone. Their Tech is supposed to be very good and has worked for performance counts for many years. I will post what happens here when i find out more.Again,thanks for all the advice and help!It is much appreciated.
David

OP
OP
M

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks,i just checked the TB's and it appears to be working fine. Awaiting a call from the shop to have it checked out. Sounds to me and a couple drag racing Buddies,it has a cam,but since neither have owned a Viper,we don't really know if Viper's sound cammy anyway.Smells like it is burning rich too. Everyone here at home is saying it sounds like an overtightened lifter. Looks like Viper's are pretty unique beasts! I love it anyway and i am learning as i go .

OP
OP
M

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No,the clutch doesn't seem to be slipping...just jerks pretty bad like in to high a gear really. Sixth always seemed weak but now just to weak to use to cruise. I bought this Viper off of Craigslist one morning while looking for a nice used truck to use to haul the trash away etc... The Viper just popped up and since i'd always wanted one,i jumped on it . For a few days i was overwhelmed by it and i had to get used to driving it. Now it is just fun! Haven't really had it past 70 yet but i can feel the power. Heck,i decided to build a garage and am almost done with that. (wife is out there right now insulating around the windows and doors. ) :)... thanks again for your help!
David

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In many respects Vipers are not unique; just regular old car stuff. Keep that in mind - it's just a big pushrod gasoline engine.

If you are running rich that can be bad on cats. Have you pulled your sills to see what is under there?

OP
OP
M

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True enough...no,actually i haven't done much of anything . I am disabled and cannot do much anymore. Fell from a scaffold a few years ago and busted discs from tailbone to neck. That's why i am having to get someone else to do any real work to her. Besides that,i am not much of a mechanic. I used to work on the many old muscle cars i have owned in my fifty seven years,but now i just like driving them. :) There are some very knowledgeable folks here and i enjoy visiting and reading posts. Everyone seems to be very helpful too.
Thanks

Beau

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like a misfire to me. The largest tax on an ignition system is at low RPM and high engine load....6th gear at 55 mph is a good example. Likely candidate is leaking plug wires, especially given the age they are probably cracked and dry. Take a spray bottle of water and mist the plug wires, if is misfires worse....you found your problem. If those check out OK pull the plugs and look for any black lines on the porcelin, if any plug has black marks (carbon tracking) replace them all. Don't be afraid of, as intimidating as the mighty Viper is, it's still a car not the space shuttle. Good luck.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You don't have a location and that makes it difficult to suggest the best vipertech for your area. You should pull the D side valve cover and look at the rockers to see if they're stock or not. Aftermarket cam will not be installed without adj 1.7 rockers. Beehive springs would indicate a larger camshaft.

Yes the Vipers before 2000 have a rough idle due to the large overlap of the stock camshaft.

I suggest that you change plugs and maybe instal some of AB's colored plug wires (unless they're already on the car?).

Congrats on your purchase. Join the VCA as you really want to go to VOI 11 in Sept/Oct. These forums also have "Membership has it's priveleges" forums such as the SRT Engineers forum and Mr. Herb Helbig, Illustrated Upgrades, and regional forums. Many club events in your area?

Ted

OP
OP
M

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! I hadn't been back to read the suggestions and advice in a few days and am surprised everyone's still trying to help me out. I have been finishing my new garage :)...In a few days i will be able to pull her inside and start checking some of the recommendations. I do think i am still a little intimidated by the car. Not in the driving of her (i love that!),but just my ignorance of the car. It's been real hot here in central va,and i haven't been doing much but i put a nice heating/ac unit in my garage and soon will feel like trying some of your suggestions. Thanks again to all here!

OP
OP
M

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ordered the AB wires and also an o2 sensor. By the time they get here i will have the garage finished and can try that first.
Thanks,David

OP
OP
M

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sprayed the wires with mist but it didn't idle any worse...I just had new plugs installed less than a month ago...I am waiting for the new wires to arrive and then will take it to the dealership and let them install those and 3:73 gears. Still trying to find car's history as far as any upgrades to the engine. Hopefully the mechanic will decide to help me and check for a different cam and lifters...Just bought a new Ford Fusion sport from them and paid cash so looks like they would . (They sell all models of new cars)..I live in the country pretty far from most repair shops and garages. This mechanic has a great rep around here anyway .He (worked for 'Performance counts' for twenty years)...but if he won't help me it don't matter.Question ? Will a leaking header gasket cause it to tap and run bad? That is what it sounds like to me anyway.
Thanks,David

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Depending on the headers, the leak and the o2 sensor position a header leak could cause serious idle and running problems when using less than 3/4 throttle. ECU uses a "table" instead of the oxy sensor to figure mixture after 3/4 throttle.

Ted

OP
OP
M

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a mechanic coming tomorrow to take a look at the car. I honestly don't know him but he answered an AD i had posted on CL asking for a Viper tech who would at least come look at er. I am including his last reply to me. Just wanted to get you guys opinion of what he said. I am going to go with 3:73's although i know many here recommend 3:55's..i already have them here waiting to be installed. He won't talk me out of that. Anyway,does he sound credible to you all here?
Thanks,David

I'll come take a look at car tomorrow afternoon if you're free. the 3.73 gear change really isn't worth the money, i would go with 4.10's economy/performance or even better 4.56's for all out performance. with a Detroit TrueTrac unit. If you're going to race the car i recommend Pirelli scorpion zero assimetrico 335/35/17 for the rear or Michellin pilot sport PS2, a cheaper alternative to tire size is Kumho ecsta. The best spark plugs for these cars that are proven to work are Champion Double Platinum. Dodge motors do not like NGK, Bosch, Autolite or Pulstar spark plugs. Mallory Distributor Cap and rotor is my preference.

Last edited:

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a mechanic coming tomorrow to take a look at the car. I honestly don't know him but he answered an AD i had posted on CL asking for a Viper tech who would at least come look at er. I am including his last reply to me. Just wanted to get you guys opinion of what he said. I am going to go with 3:73's although i know many here recommend 3:55's..i already have them here waiting to be installed. He won't talk me out of that. Anyway,does he sound credible to you all here?
Thanks,David

I'll come take a look at car tomorrow afternoon if you're free. the 3.73 gear change really isn't worth the money, i would go with 4.10's economy/performance or even better 4.56's for all out performance. with a Detroit TrueTrac unit. If you're going to race the car i recommend Pirelli scorpion zero assimetrico 335/35/17 for the rear or Michellin pilot sport PS2, a cheaper alternative to tire size is Kumho ecsta. The best spark plugs for these cars that are proven to work are Champion Double Platinum. Dodge motors do not like NGK, Bosch, Autolite or Pulstar spark plugs. Mallory Distributor Cap and rotor is my preference.

David,
Careful with guys that answer CL adds. There are some red flags with his response that would cause me concern.

1. 4.10's or 4.56's in a Viper? That seems awful low. The 3.73's are plenty low for you.

2. Double platinum plugs proven? In what way? IMO they would be a waste of money. Stick with the OEM Champion plugs. They are in fact proven to work best on stock or slightly modded engines.

3. Mallory Distributor cap and rotor? On a Viper?

4. Recommending Pirelli's just for the rear is also suspect. Looks like he just searched tirerack.com for some options to throw out.

Cancel your appointment with him. Don't let this guy touch your Viper. He'll probably take it for a test drive and never come back. Or case out your house and come back later to rip it off. Take the time and take it to a known Viper tech. Contact your local VCA members for some advice on where to go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah,i was concerned about that and i just emailed him and told him i decided to take it to a dealership. Hated to but what you wrote made a lot of sense even to someone like me who knows nothing about the cars. Thank God for this forumn!
Thanks,David

OP
OP
M

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good Viper tech here in Central Va? I want it done right and i am glad i came here and asked.
Thanks,David

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Distributor cap??? There was no Viper built that used a distributor. Introduction of distributorless ignition was the 92 Viper, late 91 Stealth R/T TT and Daytona IROC R/T. Wonder where he thinks he'll be able to buy a distributor cap?

4.10s economy/performance? Not with a 1.5 X overdrive gear.

At my Viper's power level the 3:55s slowed the car down with the extra shift so 3:08s went back into the car.

Stay away from this guy. He obviously didn't even do an internet search before sending you a reply.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously, your first step should be to call Chuck Tator. He's forgotten more about Vipers then some of us will ever know. True, he can't diagnose a car over the phone but he can suggest places to start looking.

Like some have suggested earlier, fouled/bad plug, bad spark plug wire, vacuum leak. My first thought would be TB synchronization. If memory serves me correctly, one of them should open ever so slightly before the other one.

For recommendations of where to bring it, hopefully some members close to you can jump in on this thread. Start by contacting some of these folks. Welcome to the VA/MD Region of the Viper Club of America.

OP
OP
M

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally got hold of the former owner and he said there had not been solid lifter or a cam installed..only headers. UPDATE-just as i was writing this my phone rang and it was the mechanic who has done all the work on the car. He said he had installed headers and ceramic sleeves and some other things . new clutch etc..he asked me if when i had taken it to my mechanic here if it had any loose or missing header bolts (which it did have a couple missing)..he said if so,it sounds like it has a blown gasket . He says he will check it out for me as soon as he has time as he is backed up right now. He also said he kept all old parts from the car and i am welcome to them too.As well as his records he has kept. Seems like he does know what he is talking about and a straight taker. Glad i finally was able to get the information.I appreciate all the good advice i got here.Will let ya know how things turn out.

Last edited:

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
My money is on the plug wires. I had the same thing happen in an old sweetheart mustake I used to own.

viperv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got 3.55s in my 94 rt10 And its play time in 5th gear. HOnestly you dont want to go lower I think you will be sorry 370s or 410 there for 4 speed cars not 6 speeds. Did you ever check your throttle body cables to see if there in sychronization correctly. this will also cause your bucking if not set correctly

OP
OP
M

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks,i have decided to go with the 3:55's after reading so much here about it. I will exchange the 3:73's that are still in the box. I am thinking the noise is coming from a blown header gasket .

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper